• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer question

lovetheleaf

I have searched and found pretty much what I believe to be my answer. ANyways here is what I have going on.

I have 3 hygro's. They all read the same temp. One reads 41%, one reads 58% and the other reads 66 %, when doing the salt test. The weird thing is when I put them in the same bag with my heartfelt 65% beads they were right on. Anyways I guess my question is do you scratch em and get new ones or keep in mind the 24%,17% and the 9% they are off. I would adjust them but I did not read or keep the instructions and have no idea how to adjust them.

I am going to continue to do some searching and also try to adjust the hygro's, but any advice would very much appreciated.

Chris

Digital ones adjust kinda like a clock, analog ones usually have a spot on the back where a screwdriver head can move the arm to fine tune it.

I have no idea what's up with your %s though, wrong on salt and right on beads...

Did you salt test them together, or individually? I seem to recall this coming up recently, and apparently there's some problem with testing multiple hygrometers in the same bag.

~Boar

How long are you leaving them in with the salt?

Adjusting them is simple, 1 click = 1%. Click to the left to subtract, click to the right to add. 24% is just ridiculous.

I had those calibrated hygros, and decided to throw them all out. I went to Wal-Mart, bought 4 cheap hygros, stuck them in a Tupperware for a week with a Boveda 75.5% RH pack, noted the difference on the hygros and was done with it. Paying $ 20 for something you can get for $7 is ridiculous.

You have to do the test for me than 24 hours. Other than that you will not get a good reading.

Assuming you have the adjustable digital version (from Heartfelt or Cheaphumidors, etc.), the adjustment is pretty simple. Face of the hygro: three buttons. Button 1 on top center, #2 on lower left and #3 as a knob on lower right.

Put the hygro in the calibration bag (salt test, boveda, whichever) and let it sit 24 hours. (digital updates much faster than analog, so may not need to let it sit so long.) Should read 75%. If not, make a note of how far off either way and quickly remove the hygro, push button 2, turn knob (button 3) equal number of clicks (clockwise to increase, counter to decrease) as your difference. i.e, 72% would need three clicks clockwise to eqaul 75%. NOTE: The digital display will NOT change as you turn the knob. Just turn it however many clicks and then press button #2 again. Display will reset to show new calibration. Put back in bag for a few hours to settle and check. Lather, rinse, repeat until you're happy. Cake!

Good luck!

Trey

Thanks guys. They are all digital and yes they are testing together in the bag. So once I salt test them for the 24 hours, I will adjust them to how ever much they are off and run with it. May even try doing them separately.
I still dont understand though, if they are that much off arent they pretty much junk?

Test them in seperate bags. You don't need any intervening variables. I also find Mason Jars work better than plastic bags.

Doc.

Great idea with the mason jars Doc. That thought has never crossed my mind.

Eh, take my advice with a grain of salt (wait, what?), as I'm a newb myself, but I spent enough time stressing over my hygros when I got them ( I bought way too many of the little round ones from Heartfelt) and was setting up my humi that I finally just chilled, smoked a good stick, called home and laughed a lot with the wife and lo and behold, the beads and calibrated hygros hold just right between 65%-68%, depending on how often I feel the need to open my humi. (Important to check and see if my sticks have maybe run away or something. I dunno. It's a sickness!) I'd say give it a few days of calibrating them individualy, have two of them in your humi and they should do just fine. Patience has been the hardest thing to learn for me! I have several unopened extra digital, adjustable ones, and a couple unused Boveda calibration bags. I also have three metric ass tons of 65% beads and empty tubes. PM me your addy and I'll send you a care package with some special sticks to go with them.

Cheers!

Trey

Chris,
OOPS! Just scoped your profile, and you don't need my help at all! :laugh: I should be asking YOU for advice! Anyway brother, got your addy from your profile, so I'll be sending some goodies from the Middle East along directly! :laugh:

See ya!

Trey

Chris,
OOPS! Just scoped your profile, and you don't need my help at all! :laugh: I should be asking YOU for advice! Anyway brother, got your addy from your profile, so I'll be sending some goodies from the Middle East along directly! :laugh:

See ya!

Trey

Trey, that is completely unnecessary, we are all still learning for sure and all your knowledge shared with me will not go unforgotten ;) .
I really appreciate all the info you guys have given me. Doc, the hygro's are in the mason jars now as we speak. I will let them rest for the next day or so and check them again.
Thanks guys so much.
Chris

DC# 0304 0370 0000 4842 8834 :laugh:

Enjoy, and be sure to empty the tube... :cool:

Cheers!
Trey

I would happily purchase some extra beads if you still have them. I'm setting up my first tupperdor.

Ery

After 24 hours in the mason jars, 1 was at 75%, 1 was at 66% and the other was just on crack!. So I'm happy, the one I have been using and depending on is spot on. Thanks again guys for all the help.
Chris

I would happily purchase some extra beads if you still have them. I'm setting up my first tupperdor.

Ery

No purchase neccessary. I'll PM you and get the relevant info.

(Sorry LtL for the threadjack! ;) )

-T