• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I think I'm done with Cigarbid

g-smoke

Silent but deadly
I think this has come up before, but I thought I'd post my thoughts for posterity's sake, if anything.

Tonight, I'm sitting in my backyard puffing on a DPG Blue Invicto that I bought from an online vendor. Not even sure if they're one who supports CP, but the price was competitive, they're in Miami, and I estimated there might be some localized benefit in the purchase. I got this box of Invictos about a week ago, pulled one out tonight to test out the yield and I am really enjoying it. I feel pretty confident that in just a couple months these things are going to be dynamite.

I bought a 5er of the same smoke from Cbid a few months ago and smoked through all five and searched in vain for this kind of taste and construction. They just didn't perform. Not one of them. Bad burn, inconsistent quality, and bland taste.

I've seen the same kind of disappointment with a variety of Padilla smokes, including Miamis and the 1932s. In both of those cases, I had sticks from other sources that first turned me on to their phenomenal taste, then went to Cbid to find cheap deals. I'm here to say, I am beginning to believe that what Cigarbid sells may be of lower quality than what I can find elsewhere. I just recently took possession of a box of Padilla 1932 robustos I got for a very low price off cbid -- more than 50% less than MSRP -- and just based on the smell of the box I'm concerned about what I may be looking forward to smoking.

All I can say is I've never had the same level of disappointment with cigars I've purchased from Al at Puff n Stuff, Jim at Tobacco Village, or Mark at Tower Cigars to name just a few vendors that sell their wares through CigarPass (thank god). In ALL of their cases, the boxes I have purchased from them have been of excellent quality.

This is me, saying publicly, that I believe I am done with Cigarbid. Life is too short to gamble on quality sticks bought at bargain barrel prices. I'd rather buy from reputable vendors that guarantee the quality of their stock than take a chance on a "great deal" through an auction site.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Still, I'd be interested to hear if others have had the same experience)

Best,
Gordon

I think this has come up before, but I thought I'd post my thoughts for posterity's sake, if anything.

Tonight, I'm sitting in my backyard puffing on a DPG Blue Invicto that I bought from an online vendor. Not even sure if they're one who supports CP, but the price was competitive, they're in Miami, and I estimated there might be some localized benefit in the purchase. I got this box of Invictos about a week ago, pulled one out tonight to test out the yield and I am really enjoying it. I feel pretty confident that in just a couple months these things are going to be dynamite.

I bought a 5er of the same smoke from Cbid a few months ago and smoked through all five and searched in vain for this kind of taste and construction. They just didn't perform. Not one of them. Bad burn, inconsistent quality, and bland taste.

I've seen the same kind of disappointment with a variety of Padilla smokes, including Miamis and the 1932s. In both of those cases, I had sticks from other sources that first turned me on to their phenomenal taste, then went to Cbid to find cheap deals. I'm here to say, I am beginning to believe that what Cigarbid sells may be of lower quality than what I can find elsewhere. I just recently took possession of a box of Padilla 1932 robustos I got for a very low price off cbid -- more than 50% less than MSRP -- and just based on the smell of the box I'm concerned about what I may be looking forward to smoking.

All I can say is I've never had the same level of disappointment with cigars I've purchased from Al at Puff n Stuff, Jim at Tobacco Village, or Mark at Tower Cigars to name just a few vendors that sell their wares through CigarPass (thank god). In ALL of their cases, the boxes I have purchased from them have been of excellent quality.

This is me, saying publicly, that I believe I am done with Cigarbid. Life is too short to gamble on quality sticks bought at bargain barrel prices. I'd rather buy from reputable vendors that guarantee the quality of their stock than take a chance on a "great deal" through an auction site.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Still, I'd be interested to hear if others have had the same experience)

Best,
Gordon

I did not like the Miami Robusto I got from them. I got the 1932 lancero(Pepin blend)and it was one of the best cigars I ever smoked each and every single one. I have also bought some of the 1968 toro and they are pretty good.

I observed the same thing early on. Figured it was just me.

In any event, there are lots of great guys with stores in these forums that take great care of us all. I'd much rather deal with someone that knows my name......
thumbs-up.gif

The way that shops store their cigars is important. Either you purchase them from a humidor inside a B&M, or you purchase them from a 110 degree warehouse....your call.

I've seen pic's of the Cbid "warehouse". It's a controlled environment for cigars. Of the many cigars I've got from Cbid, most have been spot on. I have bought many cigars, over the years, from B&M's that have been dud's. I guess it's just part of the industry, hit mostly and miss sometimes.

Just my thought's...

-KiltLad

I wonder how much of the "taste" issues are from perception. The box you paid more for from the nice B&M just tastes better than the half-price box you got in the mail. Just like the "cuban" your friend got you was the best tasting cigar you've ever had... ;)

Smoking boxes side-by-side and noticing draw, construction or really obvious taste differences would be something else. Can't say that I've noticed anything myself, though.

-John

I remember a thread about a Fuente fun box, or holiday pack or something a month or so ago that some bought off CBid, that the band was on upside down and other off things. Some thought it might have been a fake. Maybe CBid is dog rockets with good bands and selling them for a better price...

* to add: not accusatory, it was just a thought.

I remember a thread about a Fuente fun box, or holiday pack or something a month or so ago that some bought off CBid, that the band was on upside down and other off things. Some thought it might have been a fake. Maybe CBid is dog rockets with good bands and selling them for a better price...

* to add: not accusatory, it was just a thought.

I remember that...they didn't even try to cover it up. :laugh:

The attempt wasn't too far off the infamous "Project X"

Someone with the initials IM from Kingston, NY just big $99 on a Camacho Triple Ligero. That's just plain ridiculous.

Someone with the initials IM from Kingston, NY just big $99 on a Camacho Triple Ligero. That's just plain ridiculous.

Waht's ridiculous is that a guy with the initials LB from The Boogie Dwn just bid $99 a shot of Henny and a 9mm casing for em.

G-smoke as a fellow b&m in miami, I want to thank you for coming to your senses, lol.
As a token of my appreciation, pm me your addy. I want to thank you for your support
of the b&m's with a little care package.

G-smoke as a fellow b&m in miami, I want to thank you for coming to your senses, lol.
As a token of my appreciation, pm me your addy. I want to thank you for your support

Very classy! Nice job.

Very classy! Nice job.

x2 on that gmiranda33

Lots of great CP members who are B&M owners. All whom I have dealt with were awesome!

Lots of great CP members who are B&M owners. All whom I have dealt with were awesome![/quote]

X5

The way that shops store their cigars is important. Either you purchase them from a humidor inside a B&M, or you purchase them from a 110 degree warehouse....your call.

Exactly, well put Isy.

I just finished a rant about cbid when I saw this thread. I agree that cbad is a crapshoot. You can sometimes get a good deal but it's often not worth the hassle even when you do! The way to maximize your chance of success is to only buy boxes, open them soon and make sure they are ALL OK, and get a return or refund if they aren't. You can sometimes get a fiver that's in good shape but your chances are much better with a box.

But if you're patient and shop around you can usually do pretty well without all the hassle. ;)

Steve