• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If you have a FB account...

Set-In-Stone

The Dude Abides
Just thought I would share the following with you. If you have a FaceBook account, you are on "big brothers" radar. So much for the "privacy" aspect. It may also be a good idea to copy and post the following on your FB account, that is, if you care to. At least I tried to cover my tracks...

Warning -any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or

the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

For those of you who do not understand the reasoning behind this posting, Facebook is now a publicly traded entity. Unless you state otherwise, anyone can infringe on your right to privacy once you post to this site. It is recommended that you and other members post a similar notice as this, or you may copy and paste this version. If you do not post such a statement once, then you are indirectly allowing public use of items such as your photos and the information contained in your status updates.

What's Facebook ? oh that's right it is a medium for the spies of the world to watch your every move.

Just thought I would share the following with you. If you have a FaceBook account, you are on "big brothers" radar. So much for the "privacy" aspect. It may also be a good idea to copy and post the following on your FB account, that is, if you care to. At least I tried to cover my tracks...

Warning -any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or

the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

For those of you who do not understand the reasoning behind this posting, Facebook is now a publicly traded entity. Unless you state otherwise, anyone can infringe on your right to privacy once you post to this site. It is recommended that you and other members post a similar notice as this, or you may copy and paste this version. If you do not post such a statement once, then you are indirectly allowing public use of items such as your photos and the information contained in your status updates.

Hope you don't use Windows ($MSFT). Or a Mac ($AAPL). However.. before someone points it out to you, you may want to take that down from your FB page, and then read this. And if you're worried about someone tracking what you do on the internet, stay off the internet.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/privacy.asp

Hope you don't use Windows ($MSFT). Or a Mac ($AAPL). However.. before someone points it out to you, you may want to take that down from your FB page, and then read this. And if you're worried about someone tracking what you do on the internet, stay off the internet.

http://www.snopes.co...ook/privacy.asp

Damn it ! ....Oh well, thought I was doing something good here. Lesson learned. Im not getting rid of FB however. It's an amazing networking tool if used properly. I have received a new(better) job position, bought my new truck (at a steal), and supported many "events" for charities,etc... All from a post on FB. It's not all bad. Guess I just have to deal with it. Thanks for the link

So if that were true, I couldn't read my friends' pages that posted it anymore because I'm a federal employee?

Regardless of what Snopes says, the fact is people use facebook. Facebook can track your location easily, especially for those who are addicted to checking in everywhere they go. Some people post every minute of their day on fb, down to the time they take a crap. Yes, some people are truly addicted. Very sad. All of this information is captured in one place, making it extremely easy for anyone to learn more about you then they ever could before. I have an fb account, though rarely ever post to it. I primarily use it for the cigarpass page. I have no interest in posting my life on fb. It's great for certain things, however it has become more of a negative than a positive, overall.

You sure have posted a very serious concern of mine, in regards to the risks associated with facebook's policies, Rod. I just read about a situation where someone tracked a persons whereabouts, using the location feature to determine when a person wasn't home. That information was used to allow the bad guy to burglarize the persons home. The problem is that facebook does not give you the option of shutting down that location option. I'm not very versed on the technology, but it had something to do with you having your cell phone number listed, and then facebook using the GPS feature to track your whereabouts. This is totally wrong, and I certainly hope lawmakers force facebook to open up the use or non-use every single feature to users. I do not have my phone number listed, but it somehow said I was in California. Which I was not, and I live across the country from CA. Now, imagine some deviant who thinks your not home, and breaks into your home while you're there. That could become ugly real fast.

You sure have posted a very serious concern of mine, in regards to the risks associated with facebook's policies, Rod. I just read about a situation where someone tracked a persons whereabouts, using the location feature to determine when a person wasn't home. That information was used to allow the bad guy to burglarize the persons home. The problem is that facebook does not give you the option of shutting down that location option. I'm not very versed on the technology, but it had something to do with you having your cell phone number listed, and then facebook using the GPS feature to track your whereabouts. This is totally wrong, and I certainly hope lawmakers force facebook to open up the use or non-use every single feature to users. I do not have my phone number listed, but it somehow said I was in California. Which I was not, and I live across the country from CA. Now, imagine some deviant who thinks your not home, and breaks into your home while you're there. That could become ugly real fast.

Let them come when I'm home, they won't walk out!

FaceBook is a public site. It is NOT safe and it is NOT secure. Don't put any more information on it than is necessary. I see people all the time posting that they will be on vacation in (pick a location) somewhere between x and y dates. What an invitation.

Regardless of what Snopes says, the fact is people use facebook. Facebook can track your location easily, especially for those who are addicted to checking in everywhere they go. Some people post every minute of their day on fb, down to the time they take a crap. Yes, some people are truly addicted. Very sad. All of this information is captured in one place, making it extremely easy for anyone to learn more about you then they ever could before. I have an fb account, though rarely ever post to it. I primarily use it for the cigarpass page. I have no interest in posting my life on fb. It's great for certain things, however it has become more of a negative than a positive, overall.

Snopes wasn't saying people don't use FB, or that others don't use FB to track them. What that page is saying is that posting that disclaimer does absolutely nothing.

The chief executive officer of Sun Microsystems said Monday that consumer privacy issues are a "red herring." "You have zero privacy anyway," Scott McNealy told a group of reporters and analysts Monday night at an event to launch his company's new Jini technology.

"Get over it."

...that was in 1999, folks...

I use fb to show family members photos of my kid. They love it and makes a close family displaced by distance feel close again. so what if big brother knows where I am Im really not that interesting.

My thoughts are that fb started out as a good thing; an easy way for people to keep in touch. The amount of bullshit it has caused over the years is amazing, down to people getting fired from work for talking negative about their boss, to kids being bullied, people getting burg'd because they post their whereabouts, yada yada yada. Use it wisely and it's a great tool. Use it carelessly and you'll find yourself in some sort of trouble eventually.

What's up with some companies asking candidates for their fb password as part of the background check? These companies should be held accountable for invasion of privacy. I don't know, fb is more of a cluster-f in my mind than anything else. I think the pages/fan feature is great, and it's a great tool if used appropriately, however it's used in the wrong manner by so many.

Give it a few more years, fads always change and nothing is forever.

FaceBook is a public site. It is NOT safe and it is NOT secure. Don't put any more information on it than is necessary. I see people all the time posting that they will be on vacation in (pick a location) somewhere between x and y dates. What an invitation.

BINGO!

Facebook is what you make it, abuse anything and it will turn out badly.

I work for an internet company that does business with facebook, twitter, google etc etc.

It's sad to see some people think they can hide under a rock and let this "blow over".

Embrace the change, do your homework, and approach it wisely.

Who here knows what it means to be "re-targeted"? (In the sense of online advertising) :whistling:

-Jimmy

I use fb to show family members photos of my kid. They love it and makes a close family displaced by distance feel close again. so what if big brother knows where I am Im really not that interesting.

This is exactly correct, it allows us to share photo's with people who aren't close.

You guys just made me come up with a great contest idea. :D

http://www.cigarpass.com/contests/118-halloween-contest.html