• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione CG4? Others?

mrjinglesusa

CP Chemist
I know there are a couple threads where links to reviews on the Illusione CG4 were posted and those reviews were pretty positive. I've never had an Illusione cigar and am contemplating getting a box of something, but I'm not decided on which vitola yet.

So, I'd like to hear some input on people who have smoked the CG4 and preferably other Illusione vitolas to guide me in my purchase. I'm leaning towards the CG4 (because I like the size) but would be open to others if there is a consensus that a certain vitola is generally superior to others. Based on the input here, I may just get a sampler and try a few different vitolas first unless there is a standout.

What say you gents (and ladies)? Are the Illusione cigars worth a box purchase?

I think they are fantastic. I'm actually getting a box of CG4s tomorrow! PM me if you want to know a good place to buy these with great prices.

I'm usually pretty skeptical about new cigar lines, especially ones from unproven brands/manufacterers. I got a few singles from Outlaw in KC and was surprised how damn good the Illusiones are. A few of the CPers at the Carlito event really raved about them.

I've smoked 4 of the line so far in 4 days (I'm a 1 per day smoker and I have never smoke the same brand two days in a row). They are medium-full to full in strength. The best part of these cigars is the amazing aroma that the wrapper gives off.

Yes these are worth the investment. A box purchase is in my future as soon as I smoke the rest of my singles and figure out which size I like most.

New Havana Cigars has a (7) cigar sampler for Illusione. I've settled my tastes on the ~68~. It's small but packs a TON of flavor.

MK is the best imo. I think silocigars might have some if not send me a pm and I can put something together for you.

John

The 68, as previously mentioned, is a great short corona. To me, a little more flavor kick than the CG4.
I like them all, and I'd say a sampler is the best bet. This way, you can go by your mood, and see how they satisfy for that mood.

MK is the best imo. I think silocigars might have some if not send me a pm and I can put something together for you.

John
This is true, if only more vendors had them.... They are fantastic I smoked one with John last month.

Just had my first the other night! the 68 "Bombone" was the ticket my friend. Tasted real nice, semi sweet with a very strong aroma and taste of coffee/mocha. My B&M just got a few boxes in, so Im gonna pick some more up and try other vitolas...but they are delish!

Do you really need a whole box?
You might want to ask yourself that because I don't see any savings from buying a box of 25 compared to buying 25 singles. The cost are the same.
Before you buy, check the pricing per single verses buying a box divided by the number of cigars in the box.

Another thing is the age. I think, imo, the Illusiones need down time before they ripen.
The CG4's don't stay on the shelf very long, so they will be more green than other sizes.
They will require longer storage.

Also check out SiloCigars , he is a contributor to CP, and we
like to support those people. :thumbs:

One last thing. The ~888~ is the best bang for the buck.
A friend of mine who has been smoking for years had one and thought it was excellent.

Good luck.

I've only had the "MK" which is a petite corona. I thought it was a very good cigar but a little ruff around the edges and could use some aging. Probably would be excellent with some age but who can say for sure. However, I don't really understand the need to buy a box before sampling one first. Singles are pretty easy to come by, I've ordered from Silo and had wonderful service.

I've only had the "MK" which is a petite corona. I thought it was a very good cigar but a little ruff around the edges and could use some aging. Probably would be excellent with some age but who can say for sure. However, I don't really understand the need to buy a box before sampling one first. Singles are pretty easy to come by, I've ordered from Silo and had wonderful service.

I'm impetuous that way. :D

But I agree, best thing will be for me to get a sampler of a few different vitolas and try them out first. There are some I'm not interested in (bigger sizes) but the ~888~, MK, and CG4 are probably at the top of my list right now.

I've had the CG4, F9 and the 68s. My favorite is the CG4 followed closely by the F9. I think they're pretty similar, but I've had more of the CG4s. The 68s were rather disappointing - none of the flavor of the other two.

These are awesome cigars, imo. Lots of flavor, plenty of strength - these are go to cigars. If I had these and Tats for the rest of my time, I'd be happy. :)

I know there are a couple threads where links to reviews on the Illusione CG4 were posted and those reviews were pretty positive. I've never had an Illusione cigar and am contemplating getting a box of something, but I'm not decided on which vitola yet.

So, I'd like to hear some input on people who have smoked the CG4 and preferably other Illusione vitolas to guide me in my purchase. I'm leaning towards the CG4 (because I like the size) but would be open to others if there is a consensus that a certain vitola is generally superior to others. Based on the input here, I may just get a sampler and try a few different vitolas first unless there is a standout.

What say you gents (and ladies)? Are the Illusione cigars worth a box purchase?

These are good cigars, made by an individual (Dion Giolito) who has a passion for his product.

The CG4 is a good size, but is constantly on some level of backorder at the warehouse because it is the size that received a "93" in Cigar Aficionado. In my opinion, it is not the best size.

Having smoked all of the sizes, I can say with confidence that the best sizes - for me - are the 2, the 888, and the 68. The 2 a belicoso, the 888 a short churchill, and the 68 a petit corona.

I can also say with a high level of confidence that Giolito blends his cigars to the size. That is to say, each size, although drawing from the same blend of tobaccos, is blended slightly differently to ensure that the blend makes the most of every size.

This is in stark contrast to modern blending technique by some of the larger companies that seeks to have every vitola taste the same. That's not how Cuban cigars traditionally were/are made, and people like Pepin Garcia have started to reverse the trend.

Thankfully, Giolito's Illusione is made this way - and they are all good.

My favorites, though, are the aforementioned sizes. Before any box purchase, I would suggest trying several sizes to ascertain your favorite(s).

Good luck!

-Jess.

I've had the 68, Cg4 and the 2. They are all different animals. The 68 was a great, short smoke with plenty of taste and complexity. The Cg4 was pure tobacco flavor that really developed in the last third (took me almost 2.5hrs to get done with it) and the 2 was kind of a cross between the two, with great tobacco flavor with some dark chocolate notes. I think my favorite was the 68 as it really had alot going on and it was all good. I will hopefully get to the 88 tonight.

Thanks guys for all the input. I've decided to order a CG4, f9, 888, and 88 from Silo to try out. :thumbs:

EDIT: WTH, I'm also going to get an MK and 68 to try too. Might as well try all the sizes I might like, right?

I'm usually pretty skeptical about new cigar lines, especially ones from unproven brands/manufacterers. I got a few singles from Outlaw in KC and was surprised how damn good the Illusiones are. A few of the CPers at the Carlito event really raved about them.

I've smoked 4 of the line so far in 4 days (I'm a 1 per day smoker and I have never smoke the same brand two days in a row). They are medium-full to full in strength. The best part of these cigars is the amazing aroma that the wrapper gives off.

Yes these are worth the investment. A box purchase is in my future as soon as I smoke the rest of my singles and figure out which size I like most.

That was me! (still riding the high of Outlaw)

In all seriousness, the cg4 was the best of the three illusiones I've had. cg4, f9, and 68. I smoked the 68 at Outlaw and it was supposedly super strong, I'm not sure if I noticed that, but it did have a flavorful punch to it. The f9 was decent too, but I neglected it for a bit and it went out and I was unable to get it going again.

I have tried them all and IMHO the cg4 is by far the best. Nice flavor profile and burned very nicely!!

Jim