• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In Budapest May 1-8

jorel

Get to go to Budapest for first week of May on business. Based on web search, looks like Cigar Tower is the major retailer there. Also looks like govt imposes healthy tax on cigars (I say - welcome to the NY-CT area).

Anyway - any BOTLs in Budapest open for a smoke (or anyone have suggestions on the local cigar scene)?

Thanks,

John

That is awesome! How about convincing them that you need an architect with you and take me with? I never got the chance to visit Budapest, but we did work with their HR and SO teams quite a bit back in 2004/5. Enjoy your time there.

You may find some folks on CF who are more familiar with that neck of the world.

Have fun!

(bring me back a t-shirt!)

:laugh:

Have a great trip John...Budapest...never been, but I've always been interested in visiting. First time I heard of it was on an episode of Happy Days. Hahaha...amazing the things that stick with you in life.

I have some books from Budapest Art Academy or some such, packed away in the myriad boxes that never got unpacked when I purchased my current home. Great anatomy for the artist. If I was going, I would look into if there was some sort of tour of the facility, if in fact one exists. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Have a great trip John. Be safe and hopefully when you get back we can grab a smoke together.

Budapest! Awesome! let us know how it goes and I do hope you get to enjoy some smokes!

While visiting family in Europe back in 2007, my wife and I took a mini vacation to Budapest. It was in December so very cold, but we had a great time. The hotel we stayed in had a jazz bar and served Habanos. I didn't know a damn thing about cigars or scotch at the time (pre cigar pass days for me) but I had a couple of great nights there. If you want, I can try to find the name of the bar.

Trip Report:

Got in on Saturday to enjoy the area. Turns out most of the world celebrates May 1 as a holiday but the US - so most shops were closed - but the "touristy" things were open. Best photo I can take from my blackberry is below.

Local cigar scene seems to be dominated by a single chain that supplies to area shops/restaurants. When the retail store was closed, I found a convenience store that sold Monty "Club" cigars. Had no idea what they were til I opened the box. Goodness - about as long as a cigarette only smaller ring gauge, if that's possible. Did not give me the Cuban fix I wanted. Pic here:

4575586920_a8b5437a22_o.jpg

Finally got to the shop on Sunday. Loaded up on nice selection. Included a Punch Black Prince (supposedly maduro). Will take pics of that later. In the meantime, here's the Monte 2 I enjoyed.

4574953685_0e7fc19a65_b.jpg

Finally - a pic from outside my hotel. Spectacular.

4575587032_bbbef0b7eb_o.jpg

Awsome!

I would be interested to see the box for the 'minis'...it's a 10 count right?

..and the Black Prince...is not a "maduro".

Enjoy your trip!

Was curious about the black prince. It is slightly darker than the other cubans I bought - but clearly not maduro darkness. Nothing I've seen written about them seems to confirm them being maduro either.

Just had a Cuaba short figurado. What a great smoke.

John

Was curious about the black prince. It is slightly darker than the other cubans I bought - but clearly not maduro darkness. Nothing I've seen written about them seems to confirm them being maduro either.

Just had a Cuaba short figurado. What a great smoke.

John

The real little Cuaba's are Divinos...and they are great!

The only Cuban Maduro is the one just released(within the last couple years.
Now folks say that some of the EL's 'may' have been a test to see about a maduro wrapper - but that's been speculation.
I've seen the same box code on two boxes yield a much darker wrapper than the other...that's just the way it happens sometime!

The only CC maduros that I know of are from the Cohiba Maduro 5 line. I have had many CCs same cigar, same vitola from different boxes that have wrapper colors that are night and day in terms of darkness when compared to each other. I don't think that is uncommon with cigars from ISOM.

The only CC maduros that I know of are from the Cohiba Maduro 5 line. I have had many CCs same cigar, same vitola from different boxes that have wrapper colors that are night and day in terms of darkness when compared to each other. I don't think that is uncommon with cigars from ISOM.

Great to hear!

The only CC maduros that I know of are from the Cohiba Maduro 5 line. I have had many CCs same cigar, same vitola from different boxes that have wrapper
colors that are night and day in terms of darkness when compared to each other. I don't think that is uncommon with cigars from ISOM.

So you know the Cohiba Maduro 5 line isn't the only Cuban maduro that was made. They made one before. Knowledge is your friend. :p

By the way...nice picture of Budapest. A city I still want to see. Not as bad as I want to see Prague but its up in the top 5 cities I want to
visit next.

The only CC maduros that I know of are from the Cohiba Maduro 5 line. I have had many CCs same cigar, same vitola from different boxes that have wrapper
colors that are night and day in terms of darkness when compared to each other. I don't think that is uncommon with cigars from ISOM.

So you know the Cohiba Maduro 5 line isn't the only Cuban maduro that was made. They made one before. Knowledge is your friend.
tongue.gif

By the way...nice picture of Budapest. A city I still want to see. Not as bad as I want to see Prague but its up in the top 5 cities I want to
visit next.

Are you referring to the 2001 EL's? I thought they were never really released as a 'maduro'. Hmmm.

Hehehe....memory needed a little jog! :thumbs: