• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is 54% Too Dry for a Cigar Just Received via UPS?

Jared Nomack

Vintage Human
I've been thinking some cigars I have received (from a well-known site) were overyly dry. So I ordered a CigarMedics Humidimeter (from a different site). Pack of A.Flores Serie Privada SP54's arrived today. Box was on the porch for an hour or so, it's raining outside here, very humid. Immediately tested it with the Humidimeter. This seems dry to me, but I'm fairly new to this, so wondering your opinions?

20210227_141922 (2).jpg

I'm sure one of the more knowledgable S/BOTL will give you a good answer, but in the mean time, google "resting cigars" and you will find many excellent answers.

Not sure how accurate that meter is. Toss them in your humidor, wait a few days and you'll be fine.

BTW - I always use the squeeze method. Lightly pinch the foot of the cigar - if it cracks and feels really stiff, it's too dry. It should be slightly pliable.

First of all, the reading is based on relative humidity... without going into a long scientific explanation, it supposedly uses ambient temperature, combined with the moisture in the cigar to give a reading. Second, after reading a number of reviews, the readings are all over the place. For example, after testing this on a box of cigars the measurements were from the low 50’s to the high 60’s (from the same box) My opinion, this is a cool tool, but like Rod said, just lightly squeezing the cigar between thumb and forefinger you can tell if it is dry, or too moist...

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the replies.

I do plan to rest them. My current setup is to rest all new cigars in the humidor for at least 3-4 weeks at @69%, then move them to a "dry box" at 62% for a week before smoking. That is, other than the inability to resist one ROTT now and then (I plan to smoke the one in the pic shortly). My concern was more whether the seller might possibly not be storing them properly. But I guess if that was the case there'd probably be a lot more bad publicity out there, and I haven't see that.

Good to know that these meters aren't all that precise. ... I guess...

FWIW, the cigar didn't feel too stiff to my inexperienced feel.

Thanks again!

jn

Another thing you could do is to place the cigars in a ziplok bag or well sealed tupperware with a trusted hygrometer. In 15 or 20 minutes you will know what they are. I personally wouldn't like receiving cigars at 54%.

I don't know at what point a cigar starts to lose the oils which give it flavor but I think 54% indicates irresponsibility on the part of the vendor. JMHO

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the replies.

I do plan to rest them. My current setup is to rest all new cigars in the humidor for at least 3-4 weeks at @69%, then move them to a "dry box" at 62% for a week before smoking. That is, other than the inability to resist one ROTT now and then (I plan to smoke the one in the pic shortly). My concern was more whether the seller might possibly not be storing them properly. But I guess if that was the case there'd probably be a lot more bad publicity out there, and I haven't see that.

Good to know that these meters aren't all that precise. ... I guess...

FWIW, the cigar didn't feel too stiff to my inexperienced feel.

Thanks again!

jn

If the vendor starts with "T" and ends with "hompson", I'd move on and find an alternate vendor for NCs. They are plentiful and there is no reason to receive cigars from someplace in less-than-optimal condition.

If the vendor starts with "T" and ends with "hompson", I'd move on and find an alternate vendor for NCs. They are plentiful and there is no reason to receive cigars from someplace in less-than-optimal condition.

Not that vendor. I'd post the name but I don't think it would be responsible of me unless I'm a little more confident they are at fault.

CigarStone - good idea, but too late. I already put all of them in humidors with Bovedas and hygrometers (69%). FWIW, they have hovered around 60-61% for a couple of hours now, not sure how much of a conclusion can be drawn from that.

Not that vendor. I'd post the name but I don't think it would be responsible of me unless I'm a little more confident they are at fault.

CigarStone - good idea, but too late. I already put all of them in humidors with Bovedas and hygrometers (69%). FWIW, they have hovered around 60-61% for a couple of hours now, not sure how much of a conclusion can be drawn from that.
I would conclude that they sold you defective cigars and get my money back.

Don’t forget what happens to the cigars while they are on route to you from the vendor.
Of course the better vendors will include a boveda or some other humidity control pack with the cigars

as far as I remember Thompson , cigars international, and cigar bid do not include humidification pouches Having said that if the travel time is 2-3 days I find that 2-3 weeks in a humidor will reaclimate the cigar just fine

Eh, if it's a US online vendor, I see no harm in saying who it is. No worries if you'd rather not.

@Rod and @CigSid have it right. Cigars are an organic product. Some insight about obsessing about numbers vs when something feels “right”.
My maternal grandfather was a Mexican baker. He learned measurements etc, however. Many recipes for items like Mexican sweet bread, Sicilian style pizza dough were an art. He showed us how to make a few basic recipes, and we even wrote down instructions. Those are a guide. Basically if you do nothing but follow that guide, you will end up with an edible product. Based on things like ambient

If you research you can find clips which are part of videos either touring or documenting the cigar making process. From preparing the soul, planting the seeds, watering, harvesting the leaf, curing the leaf, sorting the leaf, further curing, sorting, selecting leaves by the roller from the “recipe” blend, it is a craft. A true art. A little more or less of X added or subtracted so that it comes out perfect.

There may be specific numbers involved, but all in all like my grandfather showed us, you have to feel the dough, it has to feel, look, and even taste a certain way. If not, add a little more X, or take away X. Now when cooking or baking, you can always add, but once it’s added, you can’t subtract it.

Don’t obsess over reading a tool gives on a single cigar. Very likely that tool is nothing more than a well marketed gimmick. Like Propylene Glycol “cigar juice” solutions. NEVER use them. All you need is distilled water and collodial silver. (You can search for that in here and find how to mix that).

Happy smoking,

C

Not sure how accurate that meter is. Toss them in your humidor, wait a few days and you'll be fine.
I agree. Just put them in your humidor for a little while and let the rh get up to 60% or whatever your preferred rh is.
Sounds like they were poorly packed for shipping