• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It's the end of the world as we know it...

MichaelD

What does this button do again?
Today, August 8th, 2016, marks the day that the cigar world officially enters the unknown. Today is the day that all new cigars have to go through FDA testing and/or "substantial equivalence" approval BEFORE they can be sold. Of course no actual processes, rules, forms, or guidelines exist today that inform a cigar manufacturer how to submit their new cigars to the FDA for approval. And it may be a long time before they do.

Manufactures now have three years to submit all of the cigar lines and sizes that they sold prior to today to the FDA for approval. If the FDA does not approve the cigars within this three year window, it will become illegal for any vendor to sell that cigar.

Further more, as of today it is illegal for a cigar manufacture or a cigar vendor to hand a potential customer a zero cost cigar. So as of today there is no such thing as a "free cigar."

I think there might be some sort of protest in DC today. One cigar mfr I know is there, but don't know if others are. Something about being in front of the capital. Maybe they'll get on the news. He's fighting the good fight.

I've been scouring the internet for what this day means in terms of the new rules (aside from what Michael says above) as a sort of cathartic expectation-setting, and I've been extremely surprised that most major cigar blogs aren't saying anything. They posted hundreds of articles prior about this day and its significance. You'd think someone would have done an actual write up on it now that the day has finally arrived...

No scuttlebutt at the local B$M, either. That's kind of odd.

Doc

Well, the buy a box, and get five free is sort of bull anyway (in a lot of cases). You often pay for those five. This is how some deep discounters sell at those great prices. You're not getting 5 "freebies".

Well, the buy a box, and get five free is sort of bull anyway (in a lot of cases). You often pay for those five. This is how some deep discounters sell at those great prices. You're not getting 5 "freebies".

The "get free with a purchase" stuff has been deemed permissible by the FDA. Only the "try before you buy" freebies have been outlawed (for now).

The "get free with a purchase" stuff has been deemed permissible by the FDA. Only the "try before you buy" freebies have been outlawed (for now).
Yes, I know. I just find it odd that folks kept bringing it up. Why use the same type of bullshit the FDA is using to add more fuel to folks concerns?

He smokes cigarettes....
The tongue sticking out emoticon means I was joking, but only by half. If relations are "normalized" then taxes can be levied on Cuban cigars. But to be clear this time, I don't actually believe that's why he visited. :p :(