• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

J. Piedra

mr.mac

:whistling:

This one was pretty rough...

Any thoughts on the marca as a whole?

mac

Rough in what respect? They are rustic smokes with a very characteristic dirty flavor that mellows out and becomes quite sweet after several years. Tasty, earthy cigars, IMO but a little too soft for teeth-gripping yard work because of the short filler and typically soft head region.

A decent value if the profile appeals to you. For my money, and just a bit more of it, the Quintero Brevas provide a more consisten draw performance and cleaner flavors.

Wilkey

Rough in what respect? They are rustic smokes with a very characteristic dirty flavor that mellows out and becomes quite sweet after several years. Tasty, earthy cigars, IMO but a little too soft for teeth-gripping yard work because of the short filler and typically soft head region.

A decent value if the profile appeals to you. For my money, and just a bit more of it, the Quintero Brevas provide a more consisten draw performance and cleaner flavors.

Wilkey

Well, I suppose I'm referring to the "dirty flavor" characteristic to the smoke. I too have smoked Quintero and found the Piedra started off in similar regards. After that it became hot and harsh and the flavor followed as bitter and unbalnced. I will admit that this cigar was young and noticably "wet" to the touch upon smoking.

I like how you refer to this brand as "rustic". This is one aspect that has drawn me toward these marcas lately. Oh yeah... I'm also broke... :whistling:

mac

After that it became hot and harsh and the flavor followed as bitter and unbalnced. I will admit that this cigar was young and noticably "wet" to the touch upon smoking.
mac
Yep. I know that tune. Wet smokes, coupled with slobber and loose or tight draws usually takes me to (bad) flavor country.

Wilkey

Quintero > J. Piedra if you MUST smoke a budget Cuban.

I went through a bundle of Conservas that had a little over a year on them and thought they were very good IMO. Draw was perfect on 49 out of 50 from that bundle. Got another bundle and although decent age, draw was terrible on the majority. I have a bundle of Cremas that came in very young and were awful. Bitter, chemical. They've been resting for a few months, and I tried one about a week ago. It was much better, however still not quite there yet. For $45 - $50 a bundle? Not bad at all to me.

I am not a big fan of J piedra's. Having said that if you have the patience to age them for 3years or more this cigar transforms its self from a very harsh full biting habanos into a very earthy and rather sweet flavor. Still a very strong cigar with much better flavor and balance. It also helps to smoke these at a lower humidity 60-65 to help the burn quality. In the end these are a great value and if you have the patience to age them all the better.

Bob

One of the MN guys picked up a small variety of machine-rolled cigars not long ago. He gave all of use 4 or 5 of them to sample. Of those 4 or 5, most everyone enjoyed the J. Piedra the most. Everyone in our crew thought they were creamy, vanilla-esque, and 'dirty' I guess. Maybe you had a bad one, maybe it's just not your thing. You certainly won't find a thread on here with 40 or 50 people worshiping the J. Piedra :laugh: It is what it is, I guess.

Hey Mr. Mac, they cant be any worse then those Curlyheads you used to indulge in,HuH? :p

Hey Mr. Mac, they cant be any worse then those Curlyheads you used to indulge in,HuH? :p

Hey... you're the one that told me they were good smokes, while you horded your Sig. VI collection from me...

Dick...

M

I don't find them to be terribly bad, all things considered. They improve with about 5-7 years of age on them.

I am not a big fan of J Lopez. Having said that if you have the patience to age them for 3years or more this cigar transforms its self from a very harsh full biting habanos into a very earthy and rather sweet flavor. Still a very strong cigar with much better flavor and balance. It also helps to smoke these at a lower humidity 60-65 to help the burn quality. In the end these are a great value and if you have the patience to age them all the better.

Bob

I think we are talking about J Piedra's. Anyways, I had a bundle of Conservas and let them rest for just over a year and thought they were a very good smoke for the money.

I am not a big fan of J Lopez. Having said that if you have the patience to age them for 3years or more this cigar transforms its self from a very harsh full biting habanos into a very earthy and rather sweet flavor. Still a very strong cigar with much better flavor and balance. It also helps to smoke these at a lower humidity 60-65 to help the burn quality. In the end these are a great value and if you have the patience to age them all the better.

Bob

I think we are talking about J Piedra's. Anyways, I had a bundle of Conservas and let them rest for just over a year and thought they were a very good smoke for the money.

Thanks for correcting my mistake. Yes it was the J Piedra's

Bob

I was given a bunch of conservas from a friend returning from overseas. he said they were about 37$US for a bundle, I have smoked a few in the past, and they seem to be decent smokes once they get some age on them, some are better made than others.....but for the money I thinks they are pretty good....

I was given a bunch of conservas from a friend returning from overseas. he said they were about 37$US for a bundle, I have smoked a few in the past, and they seem to be decent smokes once they get some age on them, some are better made than others.....but for the money I thinks they are pretty good....

Welcome to CP DC!

You should go on over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and tell us a little bit about yourself... :thumbs:

Welcome aboard :cool:

mac