• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Japan Earthquake 8.9

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
This is being called the 7th most powerful earthquake in recorded history. We were watching the tsunami unfold live last night, very sad. Apparently we're supposed to get some minor tsunami waves off the coast of California at 8:30 am.

I know we have a couple of members from Japan, hopefully everything is ok!

I talked with Nihon_Ni this morning. He and his are ok down in Okinawa. The tsunami apparently swept in at low tide so it didn't cause any damage. I'll let him comment further when he gets up; its the middle of the night there right now.

Additionally, all our servicemembers stationed in Japan, Guam, and Okinawa are 100% accounted for. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/11/AR2011031101286.html

Good news...I pm'd Rob and was waiting for a response. Glad to hear all is well.

I was watching a clip from Fox news. Im not sure where it was taken but they showed the tsunami hitting land and it was sweeping everything with it.

Thoughts and prayers to all. I have a buddy near Tokyo and I know he and his wife are fine. Another buddy's family is fine as well.

If there is anything I can do to help any of our members get through this, please post........ I am sure others here will also help.

Thanks for the concern guys. Dawn is just breaking over Japan and the pictures are heartbreaking. US military forces here are already being mobilized to render assistance to our host & neighbor.

Okinawa is about 900 miles south of Sendai and in a sort of tsunami shadow from the epicenter. Fortunately, the island was VERY prepared for it by the time it arrived. Sirens went off and the low areas were all evacuated. Low tide was about an hour before the surge arrived and the wave here was only forecast at 2 meters, which crested the normal high tide by about a meter. Okinawa seems to have escaped any significant damage.

I've sent out a few e-mails to check on some colleagues from Japan. One lives about 100 miles from the epicenter. I'm hoping they are all ok.

8000 times stronger than the quake that just hit Christchurch. Unbelievable!

Sad day for those involved.

Just total devastation... the number dead is going to be catastrophic. Two nuclear plants are on the verge of meltdown... the images are horrible.

My sister teaches English in Tochigi. She was in class with students when the quake hit, and said it went on for 4 minutes straight. Then there were two 7.9 aftershocks. Other than the power going out for about 12 hours, her and her students were alright. Sadly, many haven't fared as well.

Just got word from a friend of mine stationed in Japan that they are safe.

Just total devastation... the number dead is going to be catastrophic. Two nuclear plants are on the verge of meltdown... the images are horrible.

We have been getting updates on the situation at Fukushima-Daiichi Unit 1 nuclear plant. The containment is successfully vented and the containment function is undamaged. A portion of the core was uncovered but TEPCO is using borated seawater to cover the fuel. The unit is now stable but the situation remains serious. TEPCO units 1, 2 and 3 lost reactor pressure suppression function.

Backup diesel generators and batteries have arrived at the plant sites.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved. I' am concern again for all.
Has any news about their Nuclear Reactor being stable?

Another hydrogen explosion last night at Fukushima-Daiichi Unit 3 nuclear plant. The explosion damaged the reactor building wall and ceiling.

Another explosion tonight (Tuesday morning in Japan) at the nuclear reactor, now saying radiation is leaking, the workers have left the plant to melt down, and they're evacuating a 12 mile radius. More than 2,000 dead and more than 10,000 expected.

Just goes from horribly bad, to even way worse. Ugh.