• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny O aging and profile

jmG

Lurking but not lurking
So, obviously I'm a newb here, but I can see that John has a lot of support in this community. I like his cigars and think that they are really good for the price point. Just wanted to ask for some information/thoughts on his cigars.

For some background, I purchased a sampler along with a couple of 5ers from John back in 2013. Still have many of them left. Smoked a short yesterday and it was awesome. I also have some shorts from 2010 that I purchased 2nd hand, sometime in 2014. Smoked one of these a few weeks ago and it was good, but not as good as the 2013 batch that I have.

So my questions are, what do you think the aging potential for John's cigars are? Will my 2013 continue to get better? Or will it start fizzling out at some point like my 2010s? Or does it vary by year and batch?

What would be the closest profile associated with John's cigars compared to Cuban marcas? I don't have the most complex palate and most times classify cigars as bad, good, great. I do love the sweet cream, twang, earth and toasted tobacco that his cigars provide. My newb guess would be JL or maybe PL light.

Do the different sizes change the flavor profile a lot? I normally gravitate towards 46 and smaller RG but lately have come back to appreciating some 48-52 RG. The Johnny Os that I have on hand are 46 and below (shorts, CGs, presidents). I may be interested in getting some robustos, pigs and/or 1966s. Maybe some others.

I know WF is World Famous but what is LC? Light Colorado?

I did a search on the forums and really only got tidbits. Any additional input is appreciated. And if John sees this and can reply directly, that would be awesome!

Thanks all!
John Y.

Nobody? crickets.......

I've read most of Kingantz's reviews and the replies, but that's one person's reviews and tidbits of information in the replies.

Can't help you. While I have a few in the humidor, I'm letting them sit for about a year before lighting them up.

Thank you for responding. I was beginning to think that I had struck a wrong chord with the community.

There was a very detailed post about aging which had references to Johnny-O but I'll be darned if I can find it. Probably about +- 6 months ago. The post struck a chord as most of my Johnny-O's don't make it past a few months.

I didn't respond because I just don't have a very helpful answer. I haven't smoked enough O's to give you a comparable marca. I can vouch for their aging with grace though, as I do have a few from 2006 and 2007 yet. I haven't smoked one in a few years, because I have so few at this age now. I wish I had bought at least a bundle a year, so that I had good aged stock. I plan on making a purchase again soon and putting them to rest for at least 2 years.

Have you reached out to John? You should have his email or you could even PM him here on the board.

Thnx everyone. The initial lack of responses had me thinking that I had maybe posted/asked something that I shouldn't. I guess the overall thought is that they age well. Won't try to compare to a marca. And I didn't contact John directly because I know he's a busy man.

Thanks guys.

I found out LC is La Corona.
Its a standard factory rolled cigar.