• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O Closed Poker Run Shagfoot

DirtyDave

Newbie Dirtball
Back on August 14th when John announced that he had a new vitola on the way, I could hardly contain my excitement. His cigars are quickly becoming my favorite smokes, so I was excited to see something new in his lineup. This was my first shaggy from John, and it didn't disappoint. After nearly a week in my humidor, and my head cold almost gone, it was time to fire this bad boy up.

I clipped the cap with a "dickman cut" (especially for you souldog) and take a pre-light draw. It is a mild tobacco flavor that greets me. The draw is spot on. The cigar is firm when squeezed with a little give, almost spongy, but not quite.

When I lit up the shagfoot, I was a bit curious how it would smoke. My first puffs were a littly airy, but I was greeted by a powerful spice that made my tongue tingle. A very straight forward tobacco flavor greeted me as the spice faded. As I reached the wrapper, I was greeted by a sweet chocolate that faded as quickly as it showed up. What was left was a creamy smoke with a flavor that was quite pleasant, but one I can't quite place. Mostly it is a medium tobacco with big plumes of creamy smoke. I liked that I could see the line where the wrapper started in the ash, it was interesting to me to watch.

Going into the second third, the youth of this cigar shows it's head. Earthy tones take over and persist for the rest of the stick. It was a very relaxing smoke, and the peaceful night complimented it greatly. I enjoyed watching the smoke swirl off into the night sky as I listened to the crickets chirp. The burn was spot on the whole stick and the finish was lasting and mild. I got the feeling that these will get better with some age, and I'm really looking forward to revisiting this smoke in 6 months to a year.

Very well done on this one John, I'm looking very forward to trying the other sticks of yours I have not had the pleasure of trying yet!

Johnny-OPokerRun.jpg

Nice review. I like Johnny's smokes. My current stash is way too young to smoke though. :( ..They are resting for a while.

Great review Dave! John has some great smokes, though I haven't had the Poker run yet. I really, really dig the Corona Gordas, they are exceptional. Did yours have a very strong, overwhelming smell of milk chocolate on the wrapper? When I received mine, the bag reeked of it! :love:

Did yours have a very strong, overwhelming smell of milk chocolate on the wrapper? When I received mine, the bag reeked of it! :love:

Nah, thats just his breakfast!

Nice review AND cut Davey Jones!!! :p

Yeah, chocolate and young tobacco. I have a feeling that the chocolate will develop in these as they get a bit older, but they are really young right now. I just couldn't wait to try them. Letting them age is always difficult, I just keep getting more in hopes that I'll have too many to smoke. :D

Very nice review and pics! I might have to smoke a J-O! this evening, see how they're coming along.

Greg (Kingantz) likes to refer to that as the Snickers bar effect. John

Great smoke John! I'm a little afraid of those Behike shaggies. After seeing them live it was a trick finding a box that fit them. That's one giant stick.