• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jumping Ship ?

Set-In-Stone

The Dude Abides
I am looking for some feed back from the community on a certain situation I have been dealing with lately. It is work related and I am feeling the need to leave my company of 7 yrs.

Here is just a quick little background on the situation and my work history:

Seven years ago I went to go paint this mansion for a Union Mason outfit. They were doing repairs there and had it in their contract to paint the building, but had no painters. I have been doing some painting for some years at the time and a friend recommended me. They liked my work ethics, and personality. When I was done, they said they could use a good laborer if I would be interested in working for them. . . I agreed.

I went on to labor for them for a year. At that time, they were still small, just starting out in fact. Maybe 5 guys total, so it felt like a family, and there was room for growth. After that year, they saw I was serious, and they signed me up to take a (pre-job) training course for 3 months in DC to become a Union Apprentice - I happily obliged. I continued to stay with them every year after, over the next six years. During that time, I attended the International Masonry Institute for some cross-training, as well as a 2 year Supervisor Training Program (Nationally recognized) that I attending and finished last March. Not to mention the evening classes that I have been taking for Construction Tech. the past 2 yrs., and other certificates that I have gone for. I have shown them that I am committed, and have done everything in my means to prove myself as a "company man". Mean while, they have been hiring "Foremans" left and right as well as mechanics. Here Im thinking, "just put my time in and it will come". However, I have been laid off twice this summer, (for 2+ weeks at a time). Not to mention, was not part of the hires first back at the beginning of the season. They kept other guys whom just started at the company last year, or even hired this year, busy, but give me the time off?

I feel like I am being mistreated. I feel like the company knows that I have only worked for them and know no other company connections. Why does the new hire, (who I am very confident I can work circles around) get the work before me? Does 7 years with the company have no clout? Anyways, I have been tapping into my resources and came up with a very solid job lead. It would be for the State of NY, but they hire out of our Local Union Hall so I would keep everything I have going. . . It's a lateral move, but I feel like I need a new start. I feel emotionally, physically invested in this company, but can no longer take the empty promises, and the lack of respect to keep a loyal guy working. Did I mention, NO ONE has been working for this company longer than me? Yeah, now you can see my frustration....

Any help, or suggestions on how I should deal with this would be great. I never really had to do this before with a serious job, or one I actually cared about. Thanks BOTL, and I hope I didn't bore you.... ???

~Austen

I feel like I am being mistreated. I feel like the company knows that I have only worked for them and know no other company connections. Why does the new hire, (who I am very confident I can work circles around) get the work before me? Does 7 years with the company have no clout? Anyways, I have been tapping into my resources and came up with a very solid job lead. It would be for the State of NY, but they hire out of our Local Union Hall so I would keep everything I have going. . . It's a lateral move, but I feel like I need a new start. I feel emotionally, physically invested in this company, but can no longer take the empty promises, and the lack of respect to keep a loyal guy working. Did I mention, NO ONE has been working for this company longer than me? Yeah, now you can see my frustration....

To me you have already got your answer and it is right here ^^^.

My opinon make the move and when they ask why tell them exactly what you said here and see what they say. I had a very simalar situation back when I worked residential and when I gave my notice they were shocked and wanted to give me $5 more an hour to stay. I laughted and told them if I am worth $5 more an hour to you you should have spread that over the last 3 years and we wouldn't be talking right now. I left there for the current job I am at now 6 years ago for only $.50 more an hour and it was the greatest move I have ever made. You have to remember it is always what is good for #1 YOU! The company is only looking after themselves in this situation.

Let us know how you make out,
Paul

It is pretty hard top beat a government job. Good pay and great benefits and retirement. You talk about your education quite a bit but does the quality of your work reflect it? I am going to play devil's advocate and suggest a couple of questions that you can answer to yourself. These answers are none of my business.

1) Do you bring drama to work?

2) Do you keep your personal life out of work?

3) Do you work hard while you are there?

4) Have you voiced your desire to be promoted?

5) Have you asked what you can do to increase your value to the company and earn the promotion?

6) Do you have the respect of your peers?

7) Do you lead from within right now?

I intend no disrespect. I am trying to help.

Nice inputs there. I would also add some of mine:

Did you ever talked about this to the owner/shot caller of the company? If so did he make promises he did not full filled?

Having friends who are macons (ok one, but he's one hell of a good worker) I find odd that you have some laidoff time in the summer time. Here they are in search and destroy mode all summer long. What was the reason (if your willing to discuss) that lead to you being laid off while others stayed?

Do you still have fun working there?

Do you think the move will make you happier ? (workwise and life qualitywise)

I learned that loyalty is a two way street and that you should not be the one doing the traffic....

I agree with TP, I think you have answered you own question. I have made a few lateral moves over the years in search of a different direction and been sucessful because of taking the chance. It almost sounds like you have a good old boys club going on at your present job. It's hard to over come that situation.

Ah, the union. I was a union drywall foreman for the 16 years in the Boston area. I was the only LEED AP in the company, I was the only one interested in new theories of construction. I left because of the lack of opportunity. I made a hell of a lot more money with them. I have to agree with likescars, are you a problem- i doubt it. I find alot of guys that know alittle bit are dangerous on a job- I spend more time time explaining why I want them to do things a certain way- not their way- than I had time for. - next point- I was a ball busting prick that drove most of my guys in the ground for the sake of production. The men hated me- those were my younger days. Recently I heard a story of a local company letting their most profitable super go because no one wanted to work with him. His jobs had a better profit margin than the others but he was to combative and no one requested him for future work.

tough to say- the construction industry is one of the most backward f'ed up industries you will ever be involved in.

Have you confronted your superiors about your situation? Ask, tell them you value the company- if you do. It is good to have this other option in your back pocket. And it sounds like you like to educate yourself- so you will be able to shape your future.

This is a union shop, so everyone make the same wage?

I requested guys on my jobs all the time only to be told they were laid off- I would think, that guy kicked ass, why would you lay him off over so & so, whatever.... The industry is backwards-

Focus on yourself and your education.

Most of the masons I know are self-employed. They make a fortune working on projects for rich folks with more money than brains. If you can build fireplaces, stone walls and the like, maybe you should look into it.

Doc

Doc is right on this on my friend does sideline work for particulars and he make lots of dough (like more than me and I'm not doing bad I'd say)

I appreciate everyone's input. I hope I can help clear the air on some of your questions.

First, I graduated from a private, catholic, military background High School (LaSalle Institue) as a young man and It has helped shape the person I am today. "Truth, Honor, Duty" were words we lived by.... and I brought that mentality with me in my following years of education, and commitments.

I do not cause any drama at work, in fact, I am very diverse in a lot of areas (work and life experiences) so I can relate to a wide variety of backgrounds.
I have no problem with leadership skills, just understanding the boss' decisions sometimes. I am well liked by the guys, and have no real issues with any of them, at least, that's what they make me think. I have never been reprimanded by the owner for my behavior or any other issues. Keep in mind, we were a tight,small company at the beginning, and 7 years with no real issues is pretty good in my book. The owner, who is really involved with his business, has always had high praises for me. He came to my house warming party 3 years ago. Im the only guy at our company Christmas party that even goes out of there way to get them a gift - because I appreciate them. If Im wrong, I take responsibility, and correct the situation.

We have talked numerous times about "my future plans" and such. We always seem to be on the same page, but actions speak volume. It seems like he knows Im committed, just doesn't take care of me with m hrs. He even pays me "over scale"... because I run jobs for him from time to time.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that Im 29 yrs old, and I don't kiss ass... I know right from wrong, and I know when the boss is looking to pull the "wool over my eyes". I also know how to keep moral up, and bust my ass every day and get the job done.
I am NO slouch by any means. I am constantly working (wether it be for the Union, or myself) I have people that can certainly vouch for that.
I just think they still see me as a "kid" and don't want to give me that respect that they give the guys pushing 55. Sucks really bad. My Union rep was even surprised when I told him what was going on and my concerns. He agreed that he didn't think that was right that they look me over like that.

I have done everything I could so far, except leave.

Most of the masons I know are self-employed. They make a fortune working on projects for rich folks with more money than brains. If you can build fireplaces, stone walls and the like, maybe you should look into it.

Doc

I hear you there Doc. This past year I have really been pushing my side work. I am staying pretty busy with that, but it doesn't have the benefits and the like. I am always getting referred, and have even made business cards on VistaPrint. I am currently looking into doing my own thing full time, but I know it will take a couple years to get "my name out there" to really have the steady work. I guess I could always go and try the rich folk, but Im not a douche and would only charge accordingly, not because there is a Benz in the driveway. Not too mention, I am only one guy..... I try to take on work that I can handle by myself, but do not rule out the bigger jobs. This would ultimately be my wish, I guess it just is a real big nut to swallow. I am confident, but a realist at the same time. I do have a mortgage and bills to pay....

Hard to do sometimes, but have you voiced your fustration to your boss?

by all means get your name in the book, don't expect someone to call you just because they say they are- go work for someone else, is Local 2 that slow?

by all means get your name in the book, don't expect someone to call you just because they say they are- go work for someone else, is Local 2 that slow?

Agreed... I started the ball rolling already. Just want to make sure that Im going to make the right move when that time comes within the next two weeks. There is work in Local 2, but a lot of out of state outfits are coming in on the winning bid, and bidding low and probably taking a loss, just to keep there books going. Sucks in the construction business these days. The "money isn't there" apparently?

Hard to do sometimes, but have you voiced your fustration to your boss?

Yes, the first time it happened this year.... ???

Do you feel you got a legit reply?

Sounds like time to move on to me then. The boss must have some sort of reservation about you, but is too chicken to be honest about it.

This is the one thing that keeps popping up in my head as the only reason for the short falls lately... Meeh, may be time to just leave.
Sometimes you just find out that you have more to offer yourself, than what people can offer you. Sad that it has to come to this though. I really feel like he is a good guy, OR, I'm just being lead on and dooped by a really good "businessman"?

Boston is a little different from Up State NY, but things are starting to rock here.

Great advise from all. My only add is that when you do leave try to get your boss to give you a heads up on the reasoning behind the lack of promotion. If there's some character flaw or habit that was annoying to him it woul be good for you to know about it so that you can improve in that area.

Sounds like a lousy spot to be in, Austen. No one wants to be under appreciated, especially when you give all or more than asked for. At least you have prospects! Everyone here has given sound advice. As a State worker, I'll vouch for this system. While I don't know how the pay structure compares to private work in your field, I can tell you that the security, benefits and regular paycheck of a State item can't be beat. Just don't let the State worker stigma scare you.

I'm confused. Are you in the Union or not? If so, I would suspect there are guidlines as to who gets hired back first after a layoff. I know when I was a Teamster and got laid off they hired back some people and they did it according to seniority, which is essentially what everything in the Union is based upon. If you're not in the Union then that may be your answer as to why others were hired back and not you. Also, you might be overlooking the most basic explanation as to keeping new hires busy and not you. If you've been there 7yrs and have 7yrs worth of pay increases in your wage, the company can give that work to guys who just started and are making less than you. The company would just pocket the difference in the labor wage.