• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just helped save a man's life (played a small part)

gtadroptop

You can't make this stuff up
Just spent the last hour watching and assisting as two EMT's worked their tails off to resuscitate one of our building residents. He failed to answer his door when our volunteer tried delivering Meals-on-Wheels. He's on our daily watch list, so our nurse and I went to his apartment. We found him unresponsive on his bed. Blood sugar was 26 and he was having difficulty breathing. Lots of congestion. I called 911.

Paramedics tried to start an IV, but had a hard time finding a vein. The EMT finally got a line in. Yours truly held and squeezed the bag. As his blood sugar rose, the resident started regaining conciousness. He was confused and became combative. One EMT have to physically restrain him to keep the IV in. Eventually he calmed down. It took four of us to transfer him to the stretcher. He's being transported as I type.

I've always had a lot of respect and appreciation for anybody in uniform. This wasn't the first time I've called 911, but this was one of the few times I was physically involved in the situation. Watching those two EMT's and our nurse fight to save a life this morning was amazing.

Damn! That must have gotten your blood pumping! Good job.

Gotta give mad respect to all the people that help others.
Very nice job.. I feel some good karma is on the way.

Congrats man, two of my friends actually just finished their EMT basic class, I don't know how they do it buy damn I respect them for it.

Very cool John!

Go home tonight and smoke a good one knowing you helped save a life!

Good thing the ambulance didn't need directions :whistling:

Great job! I worked as an EMT (both volunteer and paid) for seven years, and I can say that it's very rare for bystanders to help out. Even the small things, like holding an IV bag or holding a door open, can make a difference.

:thumbs:

*applause*

Well done brother! The world needs more people like you.

Did you notice time stood still?

Nice job, those EMTs are under-appreciated and very underpaid.

*applause*

Well done brother! The world needs more people like you.

Did you notice time stood still?

Most definitely. From start to finish, my involvement lasted almost an hour and a half, but it seemed like only minutes. It was surreal. Everybody in the room knew that this man was very close to death, but they were calm and focused. I didn't get scared until he started foaming through his nostrils.

Usually my involvement in a situation like this is to direct the EMT's to the apartment and then get the hell out of the way. Our nurse will stay with the resident until they arrive and then she will also vacate. This case was different.

The man survived. He's still in the hospital and should be returning home sometime next week.