• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kansas City, Kansas City here I come. 6/15 and 6/16.

Oklahoma Joes is now known as Joe's KC. It's a good place.

As someone who lives here, and has had them all, I'd recommend any of the following:

SLAPS - best meat, sides are meh.
Danny Edwards - best sliced brisket in KC
Jack Stack - more upscale, but the beans "are to die for!" Just ask Brickhouse. And get the Crown Prime beef ribs.
Gates - for the food and experience. Get the mixed plate.
Joes KC - it's good for sure especially the ribs, but for a local like me it's luster has worn off.
Q39 - it's gastro pub bbq, but a lot of people love it.

What part of town are you staying in?

Two of my daughters have been going to college in KC for the past 7 years and I have tried to go to the best BBQ joints I could find. If you have only one place to go KC Joe's would have to be it IMHO, just to say you did. It is consistently ranked among the best in the country and for good reason. Jack's stack is great and as Brent said a bit more upscale but good food. I also like the Char Bar in Westport, how can you go wrong when the menu says "House of Meat"? One more that wasn't on Brent's list and is bit more off the beaten path is the Woodyard BBQ, the kids like it a lot and it's kind of old fashioned in an old house with ice cold PBR and covered patios.

Last edited:
For new school/competition team style BBQ- I like Q39 near Westport quite a bit. Meat and sides are both good, nice table service style place with a crowd that will answer the question "Who the hell is filling stadiums to listen to that little weirdo Ed Sheeran?" Slap's has great meat that is cooked to temp great, but lacks seasoning. I still really like it and as someone already mentioned, sides are just ok.

For my old neighborhood style, ugly-delicious, classic joint bbq, I love LC's out farther south near Raytown the best. Most famous for their burnt ends, but everything is usually really good. In that same style, the original Bryant's (don't go to the one by the NASCAR track) CAN be my absolute favorite bbq in town....it's hit or miss, but when it's on it's on. I don't eat a lot of bbq out because I cook competition style at home, but all these are picks for when I'm in the mood.

Man, if you were ever in KC longer, the legit Mexican food here is top tier. Got a new-to-me carnita place that is maybe the best pork I've ever eaten, and a chef friend of mine turned me onto a place that specializes in stuff mainly found in Mexico City that I've dreamt about all week. Pambazos, Tlacoyos, Sopes, deep fried friggin' tamales......damn.

Edited to add: If you happen to be near the Crossroads area tonight, follow the cigar smoke to the restaurant patio at 1924 Main for the premiere smoking and drinking club in at least a 2 block radius.

Oklahoma Joes is now known as Joe's KC. It's a good place.

As someone who lives here, and has had them all, I'd recommend any of the following:

SLAPS - best meat, sides are meh.
Danny Edwards - best sliced brisket in KC
Jack Stack - more upscale, but the beans "are to die for!" Just ask Brickhouse. And get the Crown Prime beef ribs.
Gates - for the food and experience. Get the mixed plate.
Joes KC - it's good for sure especially the ribs, but for a local like me it's luster has worn off.
Q39 - it's gastro pub bbq, but a lot of people love it.

What part of town are you staying in?
Brent what was the place we went to with Brad that evening?

Brent what was the place we went to with Brad that evening?

We stumbled upon OK Joe's when we went to the golf thing at the Outlaw many years ago. The BBQ in the gas station.

Last edited:
We stumbled upon it when we went to the golf thing at the Outlaw many years ago. The BBQ in the gas station.

This was last year's trip to see Brad, wish you would have been there. They took us to another BBQ place that was very good and pretty inexpensive.

This was last year's trip to see Brad, wish you would have been there. They took us to another BBQ place that was very good and pretty inexpensive.

I realized you were talking about that trip which I regretfully missed, just reminding you of the woman and the dog who guided us to OK (KC) Joe's,n which I've been to many times since. We found it far before I started going to KC regularly.

Good looking family member.

Having driven through KC on trips from ATL to Co Springs, you gotta stop at Outlaw. Always incredible hospitality.
I am not a huge BBQ fan, but those Jack Stack burnt ends were on point.

This got moved up. We’re headed there tomorrow with only an overnight stay. I’ll be in Lenexa KS just west of the Overland Park area.

I just did the drive from Wichita, KS to Longmont, CO on Friday, then stayed the day Saturday, then drove back Sunday....man thats a boring drive, especially with only a short stay in-between!!! Travel safe!

I just did the drive from Wichita, KS to Longmont, CO on Friday, then stayed the day Saturday, then drove back Sunday....man thats a boring drive, especially with only a short stay in-between!!! Travel safe!
Gonna need lots of music.