• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kopi Luwac

gunsandcigars88

Late last year I was introduced to coffee for the first time. Though I have been drinking coffee for a long time it was always Folgers brewed in a standard drip pot. Late last year I began to make coffee in a Press Pot using high quality beans (Mr. Jerry's Killer Beans!). After watching the movie "The Bucket List" I have been curious of Kopi Luwac. Anyone here that has sampled it, if so what were your thoughts?
B

I had it before that movie came out. That coffee IMHO rock the house. Its just too damm expensive. I had my father get it for me in a little sample package so I was able to make a couple cups of it. People knock it cause of what it goes throught but its suppost to be cleaner. it is cheaper if you get in poop form but I dont have the ball to do that. I think every coffee lover should try it once :love:

"You're sh!#ting me!?" :laugh:

I'd rather not grow another affinity to something I can't afford. And B, if you buy it in poop form you will be my idol for the rest of my natural born days. :D

Late last year I was introduced to coffee for the first time. Though I have been drinking coffee for a long time it was always Folgers brewed in a standard drip pot. Late last year I began to make coffee in a Press Pot using high quality beans (Mr. Jerry's Killer Beans!). After watching the movie "The Bucket List" I have been curious of Kopi Luwac. Anyone here that has sampled it, if so what were your thoughts?
B

I've had it. Totally overpriced, but fairly tasty and... entertaining.

You guys are crazy. I watched a show on this stuff, but just to be sure I understand what you guys are saying... These are coffee beans that have been eaten by an animal and then someone followed the little guy around with a bag, scooped up the poop, washed the crap off the beans and then sold as "coffee" right? Sounds like a pretty crapy deal to me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (sorry, had to do it)

Personally, I say "no thanks". I've eaten some pretty exotic things, being a southern boy and all, but I have to draw the line somewhere. You guys have bigger balls than I do I guess.

For those who don't know what this is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Also here's a pic, doesn't that look lovely?

kopi_luwak.jpg

I'm sorry...being Chinese I've eaten many exotic-type foods, but you couldn't pay me to drink this stuff...

You guys are crazy. I watched a show on this stuff, but just to be sure I understand what you guys are saying... These are coffee beans that have been eaten by an animal and then someone followed the little guy around with a bag, scooped up the poop, washed the crap off the beans and then sold as "coffee" right? Sounds like a pretty crapy deal to me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (sorry, had to do it)

Personally, I say "no thanks". I've eaten some pretty exotic things, being a southern boy and all, but I have to draw the line somewhere. You guys have bigger balls than I do I guess.

For those who don't know what this is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Also here's a pic, doesn't that look lovely?

kopi_luwak.jpg

caddyshack200.jpg

Its no big deal...

I'd try it... but I'm not that inclined to order any right now and I doubt anyone in Winnipeg sells it.

It sounds interesting but not something I think I could stomach knowingly. Would be fun to make it for some friends while your sitting around drinking a cup of tea..

I was wondering if that was part of the case Moki. At $40 for 2oz of that stuff I was going to have to find a special occasion to order it on. Though I think I still might try some just once. Glad to hear that a couple have tried it.
B

This is one of those times when one just has to ask; Why?

Also, who was the first person to come walking along a trail in Sumatra, step in a pile of civet crap and instead of saying "awwww Sh*t!" and getting a stick to scrape it off their foot, they say to themselves; "Hmmmm....this looks tasty, I think I'll toss it in a pot of water and drink it!"

I'm sorry...being Chinese I've eaten many exotic-type foods, but you couldn't pay me to drink this stuff...

That picture is not what it looks like when you buy it. That's the raw collected stuff... it just looks like any other coffee bean really, and it is completely clean of fecal material.

The taste in theory comes from the digestive enzymes in the Luwak's (a civet actually) digestive tract and how it affects the bean, not from shit.

I'd still like to know who the first person was that thought that was something good to drink. I see lots of coyote sh*t with juniper berries in it and never once thought to pick it up, clean it and make tea from the berries. :)

I'd still like to know who the first person was that thought that was something good to drink. I see lots of coyote sh*t with juniper berries in it and never once thought to pick it up, clean it and make tea from the berries. :)

Sounds to me like you're missing a huge market opportunity. People in Asia will pay a king's ransom for this. ;)

Eh. Doesn't sound that bad. I'd be up for giving it a try. Coffee beans are often fermented in some way, anyway. Besides, people pay huge amounts for prime manure to mix in their coil, fermented and bottled barley tea and let's not forget items like honey which (abstractly, at least) is pretty disgusting by many contemporary social mores.

Sure, nobody probably sat there staring at bees as they repeatedly regurgitated and ingested and thought, "hmmmm, bee vomit. That could be good." Now that it's common knowledge, though...few people seem to mind.

As to who first considered brewing up a cup of feces...Well, I can conceive of several possibilities including potentially shamanistic practices but I prefer to think that it was a joke for somebody they didn't like. The joke was on them, however, when the coffee was pronounced to be the best the victim ever had.

I'm with ya Wolfie, doesn't really bother me. But at some of the prices I saw people charging for this stuff....uh...I could have a fist full of great cigars and a freshly roasted bag of great beans from Rosterie. Thanks for the linky dlow, made for great reading over breakfast! :laugh: