• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aroma de Cuba - Immensa

Amendments

I'd passed on these in my local shop several times and recently seen a few great reviews so I set out to smoke one this evening. This is the "Immensa," which is a 5.75x60 wearing what the internet says is a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, which would make this the darkest Connecticut wrapper these eyes have ever seen.

vlEfJil.jpg

And I'm still filling up a new humidor so I grabbed a few extra. My wife chooses not to understand why I need to buy three cigars just to smoke one. Lol, rookie.

MQ7zZOp.jpg

Pre-Flame
The wrapper had a bold flavor, not uncharacteristic of other Nicaraguan sticks I've sampled, but very much unlike anything else from Connecticut I've put in my mouth. The draw seemed fine and the cigar certainly looked the part, with it's rich chocolatey brown color and commanding girth.

1/3
Right away I had some running on the burn and it took nearly the whole smoke to even out. This caused the premature disposal of a few ashes I would've preferred to hold on to and thoroughly destroyed my OCD for the better part of an hour.

ZLdtEXv.jpg

nvhw2Pt.jpg

L8zJjfE.jpg

You can easily see the disfigurement in the ash where it's running whereas the rest of the crown looks lovely, so I'll chalk it up to a faulty "Connecticut" wrapper. I've been to Connecticut many times and Hartford is nothing to write home about, I assure you. No doubt this wrapper was born in Rhode Island and moved to Hartford early in life, therefore assuming the title.

Moving on, the draw was average to light, but not terribly uncommon for a 60 ring gauge. I don't smoke this size often, but I recall the bigger ring gauges having a more tempered draw. The flavors weren't all that complex, but pulled off the fine trick of presenting a full-bodied smoke without the need to be overly "strong" and assaulting the pallet. Initially, there were distinct pepper and wood, to an almost burnt wood sharpness to it, but I can't say enough about the smoothness of it. I couldn't even get the biggest of draws to show an aggressive approach.

2/3
This portion of the cigar was very similar to the first so not much to report. The burn was trying to correct itself, but it was a long dig to crawl out of the tunnel that had been dug.

vcVuNBV.jpg

3/3
This is where things started shaping up nicely. The running of the burn was really starting to self-correct and the draw had, naturally, started to open up nicely. I was finally able to bestow upon my neighbors billowing clouds of smoke from the Nicaraguan heavens fitting of such a physically impressive cigar. The flavors had also finally opened up a bit and I got my first hints of any sweetness. My ill-equipped pallet didn't find any of the advertised chocolatey richness, but I could detect a bit nutmeg and possibly a hint of cinnamon.

6EEMi4E.jpg

g9iAL2s.jpg

At no point did I find the flavors to be complex, but it was always smooth and pleasant. I'll chalk up the terrible burn to a one-off wrapper imperfection and the slow draw to a wide gauge. The flavors were almost entirely spice; pepper, then a nice hint of nutmeg and cinnamon, and some great woodiness early, and that's about it. It's a very pleasant smoke and even an hour afterwards I didn't feel like I needed to run to brush and rinse. No regrets whatsoever, but I've smoked some pretty nice cigars in the last few months and I'd put this somewhere in the middle of the pack. It was nice, but not the experience I look for in a cigar. I don't think I'll buy another for a while, and I'll probably look for the Monarch which is 6x52 when I do.

Last edited:
Nice review. Did you buy and smoke this within a few days? I find humidification at B&M poor at best. Personally I give my stuff two weeks rest so I know I did my due diligence. Nice photos by the way. Come back and share more.

@Pugman1943 Ed is right, I assume from the pictures you purchased and smoked that cigar the same day. I would chalk the poor burn line to that for sure. I would be very interested to see what you think if you bought another one, let it sit in your humidor for a couple weeks, then dry boxed it for 3 days maybe?? It would be a really fun test.

Correct, I smoked it in the shop last night with a cup of coffee. I definitely owe it another chance, if for no other reason than the multiple high ratings.

Eventually, I'll do the same with a few weeks rest before smoking. I just finished seasoning a new humidor last week so my current inventory is only 7 days "aged" today, but the beginnings of a nice little collection.

I have what's left of a box of robustos, a little smaller. I like 'em fine for a ~$5 cigar, smoked one Monday evening.

Nice review and photos. I'm with the others -- I think that once those other two cigars have a chance to acclimate in your own humidor for a while, they will burn much better. That's the price of smoking right off the shelf at a B&M, unfortunately.

Nice to see this brand get some attention. I used to smoke these a lot back in the day