• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Veritae

Yeahthatsme

So yesterday was the Outlaw Tatuaje event. I showed up early to get my hands on some of the goodies available, and was lucky enough to show up about 8 minutes before Pete Johnson. After he came in and got settled I had some time to chat with him, talking about his upcoming releases, and he hands me an unbanded robusto in cello. Said it's La Veritae, an upcoming line he's releasing. He went on to explain it's made of leaves that all come from the same farm, these particular leaves are from last years crop at one of Pepin's farms in Esteli, Nicaragua, around 10 months old and fresh out of the drying sheds with no fermenting. I promptly handed off the El Triunfador I was smoking and lit up.

Since it was the second in a long day of smoking I can't remember a ton of flavors(I'm kicking myself for not taking notes) but me and Brent both decided there was definitely a note of caramel, and that it was FANTASTIC. One standout from this cigar was the, I guess you could say, room note. It had the sweetest smelling smoke, not harsh in the slightest, incredibly pleasant. I was truly surprised at how, despite it being super fresh, there was absolutely no harshness. Pete said they'd need some age, if these get any better I'm not sure I could handle it.

As far as the release goes, Pete said he was planning on emulating wine futures, offering retailers a chance to buy before the cigars are made, and then delivering to them early. He also wanted to emulate the wine industry in the packaging, offering multiple size boxes(10, 25, 50 and 100) in master cases( ten 10 count boxes, four 25 count boxes, etc). Sounds like it will be an interesting twist on the normal release style. As far as price he said it would be up there with Padron 1926's, so ~$20 a stick. Size wise he had the Robusto at the event and said he was going to try it either a Toro or Churchill, I can't remember. Some of the other BOTL's at the event will have to chime in with the release timing, I can't remember exactly, though I believe he said it would be after the Halloween release, so probably early 2010.

I took a few pictures with my phone camera but they all turned out fuzzy, hopefully some other folks got a picture. It was just a normal Robusto, triple cap, light caramel color on the wrapper, very oily. 100% Nicaraguan tobacco.

I was also fortunate enough to have one of these cigars given to me by Pete, and I concur with a lot of what Joe said. The one I smoked was a medium bodied smoke, with full flavor. Lots of caramel, and hinds of cinnamon that would come and go. The cigar never got harsh, and never got hot.

As for release dates, Pete said his goal is to have them ready for the RTDA this year, with a release date in early 2010 so as not to interfere with the '09 Monster release.

I will admit that I am an unashamed Tatuaje whore, but this cigar was unlike anything else in his lines. This is one of the better cigars I have had, and I will definitely be in the market for these.....NEXT YEAR. :angry:

I hope to try it on Wednesday I am starting to become a VERY big fan of Tatuaje. Right now I predominately smoke fuente, padron and tatuaje.

Has Pete talked about his 'budget' line in awhile??? I was hoping thats what the La Veritae was going to be...apparently, I was wayyy off. :laugh:

The budget line is Ambos Mundos. Two sizes, toro and churchill, two wrappers, aged sumatra and habano. I think he's releasing it fairly soon.

UGH! So many Pete creations! I need yet another humi for just Tatuaje.