• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lagavulin 16 yr

PuroEsq

The Member Formerly Known as "JAEwing"
Well I have been wanting to try different scotches. Apparently my staff (2 paralegals and 2 secretaries) found out about this and all pitched in for a bottle. They gave me Lagavulin 16 yr single malt.

I have tried it and it liked it very much. I would like to hear from some of the experts here on a couple of matters:

1. How would most people describe the flavor profile? (I ahve heard terms such as "peaty", "smokey", and "earthy")
2. Where does this bottle rate among the crowd of all that is out there to try?
3. If I liked this what else should I try?
4. If I did not like this what would you suggest?

Thanks

Jason

I just picked up another bottle of this today. :thumbs:

It's a classic Islay, smoky, peaty, etc. and one of my favorites. If you like this, you'll probably alos like the Laphroaig 15yo, Caol Ila 18yo and any Bowmore as well. A lesser known Islay is Ardbeg and I really like the two Ardbegs I've tried also.

Bruichladdich is another Islay but from what I've read, it's less "peaty" than other Islays. I've never had it so I don't know first hand.

AVB, when ya gonna offer a Port Ellen in a scotch buy? :D

Ah, yes, another convert to the peat. Welcome, my friend. Listen to Bill's advice, he's right on. And read AVB's pinned reviews, they're excellent. But before the know it all expert, Ray, pokes his head in here, allow me offer up my $0.02. (J/k Ray :p )

I seem to recall Lagavulin being more smokey than peaty (while still being plenty of each). It's a very good whisky, and is, IMO, better than average.

Almost any Islay whisky will offer up a similar profile to Lagavulin. In an extremely general sense, here's what I think of the other Islay whiskies:

Bruichladdich is an exception, as it is much less peated and tastes more like a highland (non-Speyside) whisky to me, and I'm not much of a fan (of Bruichladdich, not of highland whisky in general, which I like). Ardbeg is awesome, if you can navigate their maze of various incarnations. Laphroaig is great for an all-out peat rush, and the 10 y.o. is an amazing bargain, being available for as little as $30. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is outstanding. Caol Ila is a fair bit less peaty than the others while still being recognizably Islay. Bowmore is good as well, but I don't like it as much as I do the others and it is usually a bit more expensive as well, so I don't buy it unless a craving hits me. I've not tried Bunnahabhain or Port Ellen.

You should also try Talisker, as it has a generally Islay-ish profile while still being unique, but from what I've read it appears to be edgeing closer and closer to Islay-ness all the time. There are also peated versions of various other whiskies that you could try, but I've not tasted any of them.

If one did not like this whisky, then one should probably try Speyside whiskies, including sherried malts (e.g. Glenfarclas, Macallan, Aberlour, Balvenie Doublewood) and un- or lightly sherried malts (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Cragganmore). Cragganmore, Balvenie Doublewood, and Aberlour A'bunadh are very good, fairly inexpensive, widely available whiskies that I think almost everyone should like.

Jason,
Most experts rate this quite high, around 95 out of 100 which as mention is quite a bit above average. I enjoy this more after dinner or as a second or third scotch of the day. MJ said this finishes like a bear hug.

If you enjoyed Lagavulin but thought it was a bit to much peat and smoke, you might enjoy Bowmore Darkest or Talisker 18.

That's funny. I got a bottle of it as a gift as well.

1. It's definitely a peaty malt, thought not overwhelmingly so. I had an Ardbeg 40 once that was just too much.
2. As an Islay Scotch, Lagavulin is definitely upper echelon, IMHO. Is there better? Always. This stuff is pretty easy to find and is reasonably priced.
3. Rbbrock covered them all pretty well. Laphroaig is an excellent Islay malt. Another good thing about Laphroaig is most decent bars should have it also. You can always go to one and sample it before buying a whole bottle.
4. Rbbrock has listed a lot of good choices. Macallan and Balvenie would probably top my list of suggestions for someone who was getting their feet wet in the realm of Scotch whisky. Highland Park is another that you might enjoy.

The only Ardbeg 40 is the 1965 that was limited to 261 bottles and sells for about $4K a bottle. Where did you run into this one? There are a bunch of 30 yo ones you may have run across though.

1. It's definitely a peaty malt, thought not overwhelmingly so. I had an Ardbeg 40 once that was just too much.

It was at a scotch tasting held by the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. SMWSA buys casks of various malts and makes them available to its members. At this tasting, the SMWSA had it's own tasting table where they had available for tasting a number of different malts from a bunch of distilleries, among them an Ardbeg 40. I'm sure it wasn't the same as the one that was bottled in 1965, though...

According to the SMWS they have never bottled a 40 yo Ardbeg but have bottled some old Caol Ila which is also a heavily peated Islay although again, nothing at that age. Almost all the 40 yo scotch bottlings are Glenfarclas for some reason. You can check out the listings of tasting notes for everything they have ever bottled here and either PM me for the cask codes or they are easily googled.

It was at a scotch tasting held by the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. SMWSA buys casks of various malts and makes them available to its members. At this tasting, the SMWSA had it's own tasting table where they had available for tasting a number of different malts from a bunch of distilleries, among them an Ardbeg 40. I'm sure it wasn't the same as the one that was bottled in 1965, though...

I figured it out. It was an Ardbeg, but it was actually a 7-year old (I was a long way off with that one!). I was standing next to a SMWSA member who told me it was an Ardbeg 40 and I assumed it was. Should have verified with a staff member...

Those young Ardbegs can get right in your face. Some folks love them for that, I being one :)

I figured it out. It was an Ardbeg, but it was actually a 7-year old (I was a long way off with that one!).

I put the Lagavulin 16 with Highland Park 18 as 'best mellow peated scotch' (that's generally available)..

and that's a guess, from a guy whose not an islay drinker at all. I'm not fond enough of iodine and peat to own em.. but i've gone through a few bottles proving it.

I think Talisker Distillers Edition, HP 18, and Lagavulin 16 would make a great 'head to head' tasting session, for a young aspiring peat-head. IMO.

When you get to the SHERRY CASKED tasting, dibs.. ;)

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite single malt with Laphroig a pretty close second. I love that smoky peat flavor
that sticks to my palet. I am not a big fan of Ardberg, but plenty of folks swear by it. If you want to try something robust, get a bottle of Laphroig Cask Strength.

One of my buddies from England turned me on to this wonderfully peaty scotch. At first wiff and sip, I always drink my scotch neat, I was ready to kill him. By the time I worked my way through half the bottle I was a definate fan. If you like a spicier cigar it holds up very nicely!

Warning though, make sure the wife or S.O. isn't in the room when your drinking it as it does give off a strong aroma as well.

I'd rate it a 8.5-9 out of 10 with a very peaty, carmel smooky start ending in a nice smooth citris ending.