• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig Cask Strength - 10 Years Old

Ralph

This is the quintessential Islay. I wonder what it's PPM rating is, because it seems to blow Ardbeg 10's 53 PPM out of the water. I took a whiff of the Ardbeg and they weren't close. I'll do a taste comparison soon.

The Laph was a beautiful amber color, somewhere between the copper color of the standard 10 y-o and the golden color of the Quarter Cask. It instantly reminded me of that nugget of Amber with the mosquito in it from Jurassic Park.

The nose was heavy on iodine and peatsmoke as well as a little alcoholic (well it is 55.7%).

First sip, straight up, was liquid smoke (like a raging campfire) with a nutty, toasty undertone and a bit of saltiness. This stuff has girth. It has a warming quality that isn't just linked to the high alcohol content.

I drank about half the dram straight and then added a tablespoon of water. The water took the edge off of the alcohol and brought out a little vanilla from the oak, some grains (wheat) and some fruit that I couldn't identify. Plum maybe? The smoke was still "in-your-face" and not subdued by the water in any way. I didn't feel the need to add any more water as it seemed to be in a good place.

The Spirits Manager at Binny's told me that this was one of two most significant entries into the Scotch market in the last 5-10 years (the other being Ardbeg Uigeadail) and I will trust him on that. The Laphroaig 10 Year-Old OB has been my favorite for years. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask was the first Scotch to top it in my opinion, and this 10 year-old Cask Strength tops even that. It's a must for any Islay Scotch fanatic but probably won't be enjoyed by the casual Scotch drinker.

A really great dram for the peat lover and one I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet! Nice write up and I hope to see more in the future.

A really great dram for the peat lover and one I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet! Nice write up and I hope to see more in the future.

Thanks AVB. I look forward to your review of this one as well.

Cheers!