• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laptop suggestions

bilder

Well my old Compaq finally bit the dust over the weekend, so it is time to buy a new laptop computer.

Been awhile since I bought a new one and have no idea what brands are considered the good ones these days. What would you all suggest for a laptop in the $500-$1000 range?

I've been using Dells for the past 10 years and can't complain. I'll be getting the new Dell XPS Studio Laptop soon. Purchased the Dell XPS 420 last year and love it. Everyone has their own opinion, however as far as reliability goes, I've had the best luck with Dell. If you get an XPS, you'll get the red carpet treatment from Dell.

I've been using Dells for the past 10 years and can't complain. I'll be getting the new Dell XPS Studio Laptop soon. Purchased the Dell XPS 420 last year and love it. Everyone has their own opinion, however as far as reliability goes, I've had the best luck with Dell. If you get an XPS, you'll get the red carpet treatment from Dell.

This.

BTW Rod.... Have any old Dell laptops sitting around that you'd sell/trade? I love scrapping together laptop parts and re-building them.

Edit: Toshiba and Lenovo also make solid laptops.

This.

BTW Rod.... Have any old Dell laptops sitting around that you'd sell/trade? I love scrapping together laptop parts and re-building them.

If you had asked me this a couple years ago I would have had plenty. I got rid of all the old stuff. :)

Look around for a LG brand laptop (R510 - Rosolina - P8600) it has a red case and is simply one of the nicest laptops I've had the pleasure to work on in a over a year.

And it wasn't too expensive either, costing around 599 dollars (on sale)

It rated a healthy 4,6 on the windows Vista performance chart and that means its fast enough to game.

For the office, I have had very good luck buying refurbished Dell Latitudes. They are geared towards mobile user who are the road. You can still find machines running XP instead of Vista, they still have warranty, and a good bang for the buck. Unless you need all the froo froo stuff, these are very good deals. Just bought a D620 for my daughter last week.

Go to....

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...;l=en&s=dfb

Choose Latitude Laptops in the drop down and narrow your search from there.

Dell's best in the biz as far as I'm concerned, at least for business users.

Good luck!!

I have an IBM T42 that is hands down the best laptop I've ever owned. IBM laptops are now "Lenovo" and would be my first choice in a quality laptop.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Really depends on what you plan on doing with it. If its a laptop that will be used mostly in the house you don't expect to lug it around much, then any laptop will do. Look for the configuration you like and find the cheapest. If you're getting a laptop that will actually be mobile, go Lenovo. A year ago I worked quite a bit with a hardware depot that handled the repair and replacement of employee laptops for a number of companies. The hardware failure rates of the IBM/Lenovo laptops were by far lower than any of the other manufacturers.

I have an IBM T42 that is hands down the best laptop I've ever owned. IBM laptops are now "Lenovo" and would be my first choice in a quality laptop.

Cheers - B.B.S.

x2

I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad X60 and I use it almost everyday in the past 2 1/2 years. However, I would only recommend you get the ThinkPad line if you are looking for quality laptops (the IdeaPad line is not as good).

I got my wife a HP for Christmas for $600. It was a very similar configuration to mine which I paid $1000 about 4 months ago. What ever you decide, you should be able to get a GOOD deal on one right now. If you have an affinity for Conpaq’s, HP merged with them and has them listed on their site.

I am NOT a big fan of Visa. If you can get an older XP system, you can get by with less of a machine.

I have been running a Gateway T series for a year and other than it not liking the Gin and Tonic that was spilled on recently it has been great.

i have been running a T43 for the last 2-3 yrs and has not gone wrong, its not heavy and i love the finger print security. so my vote will be for thinkpad's

Another +1 for the dells. I sold off my Toshiba earlier this year and it was a fantastic machine as well, but Dell has the warranty and service you just can't beat. I use mine more as a second machine and I have an inspiron 1720. I added the upgraded video card as I game on it and it runs great.

Lenovo s10 here... just got it and love it. Probably smaller than what you want..

Well my old Compaq finally bit the dust over the weekend, so it is time to buy a new laptop computer.

I had four IBM Thinkpads in a row. Then a Dell business series, now a HP. I guess that I can't shake the habit of using a trackpoint mouse. If you gave me $1k, I'd bite the bullet, pay the premium, and get another Thinkpad.

As for which one you should really get, absent my particular preferences. My wife just got a Lenovo IdeaPad U series. Really good machines, quick, good service, nice looking, and great (!) screens. She has an educational discount (college professor) but they're well priced even without.

I'm on an HP right now. I would recommend against getting an HP. They are the best price/performance ratio I have ever seen. However, their customer service and reliability are pretty bad. Ive had 2 HPs and both have had MAJOR hardware problems a little over a year in. My sister has had the same laptops with the same problems except one of hers died twice instead of once like mine. I'd pay a little more for some reliability. Also these don't really go anywhere just around the house. My only other advice is to get an extra battery as they seem to start losing their charge faster and faster.

Ery

I concur with Lenovo. If you're looking for a solid, stable business laptop, go with a Lenovo. They're hard drives are solid, have built in roll cages, and are designed to take a beating and keep on ticking. However if you're looking for a good all around multimedia laptop, get a Dell.

HP's are notorious for crashing.

no alienware fans here? :cool:
Absoloutely, though the OP said he wanted to stay in the $500-1K range. Alienware is a bit more than that to get in the door.

For gaming they are very cool, but for a rugged workhorse, I'm still sticking by my IBM / Lenovo's. I've got many hours on my T42 and it's a tank.

Regards - B.B.S.