• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Late 80s Cohiba Lancero

BobbyRitz

You're Fired, Daddy.
What a gorgeous day here in Maryland. My wife went to the gym and is picking up our son, who stayed overnight with her parents. I thought it a good idea to head outside and focus on a nice cigar.

As some of you know, I’ve been tremendously busy with work of late. I went into the cabinet and decided upon a late 80s Cohiba Lancero en cello. This is a simply wonderful cigar. There is nothing quite like the silky smoothness associated with an older Corojo wrapper.

The cello was quite dark with remnants of oils from the cigar. I grabbed my soft flame lighter and off we go…

The first few puffs were of hay and grass with a medium body. There was a touch of mustiness, but this added to the cigar. It told me of the cigar’s age and didn’t detract from the experience whatsoever.

About an inch in, very strong bean flavors started in abundance. I typically smoke too fast, so I intentionally slowed myself down as I looked across the street in front of my house to the rolling corn fields, obviously off-season and cut low. This is a really good cigar.

I smoked one in a puff-pass last year and similar flavors started to circle through my mind. It has a sweetness that I’ve rarely encountered in a cigar. Literally, it’s as close as you’ll get to having a vanilla milkshake while smoking a cigar. The cello really helps to contain all of the “goodness” of cigars. I wish more Cuban cigars were en cello.

At the halfway point, the cigar picks up in strength and flavor. Nasal exhalation becomes difficult at times. It cycles between full to medium-full depending on the how hard I draw. I try to leave the ash on to keep the temperature down as there is an occasional blast of wind.

This is one of the best cigars I’ve had to date. The second half alternates between a smooth, creamy hay flavor to intense bean flavors (vanilla, coffee) with a spicy background. What a day!

A few pictures:

IMG_7059.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

IMG_7063.jpg

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

Nice review. Beautiful stick, one of these days I will have some of that age. Glad you enjoyed it.

Ken

Oh man, an 80's Cohiba Lancero! Thanks so much for the review, I can imagine that was one great cigar.

Must have been an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbs:

Nice review and pics Rob. I agree these are some of the best cohiba's ever produced and quite rare these days. I haven't fired one of these up in quite some time. It looks like I'll have to dig one out now. I have never had a plugged one from this vintage. Goes to show you what the quality was back then.

Bob

Nice review and pics Rob. I agree these are some of the best cohiba's ever produced and quite rare these days. I haven't fired one of these up in quite some time. It looks like I'll have to dig one out now. I have never had a plugged one from this vintage. Goes to show you what the quality was back then.

Bob

I couldn't agree more, Bob. :thumbs:

Bob

The last "vintage" CoLa I had was a dowel. It wasn't a late 80's, it was an early 90's... but still. It's disappointing to keep any cigar around for that long, only to find out it was constructed poorly.

Anyway, very nice review -- sounds like you had a great day!

Wow, I can't imagine that wouldn't be an amazing cigar. Thanks for the tremendous review.

Bob

The last "vintage" CoLa I had was a dowel. It wasn't a late 80's, it was an early 90's... but still. It's disappointing to keep any cigar around for that long, only to find out it was constructed poorly.

Totally agree Andrew. There is nothing worse than having high expectations for a cigar only to be let down especially after waiting sometimes years or even decades.

Bob

Great review Rob. I am going to try and get my hands on some late 80s/early 90s Cohiba once I get out of school; they sound sublime :thumbs:

Bob

You're absolutely right, Andrew. I've had a few RA private stock cigars from the 70s that were absolute dowels. I'm surprised to hear that an older Cohiba was a dowel, though. If special attention was ever given to a marca, it's definitely Cohiba.

Nice review...
I can only hope that one of these floats my way some day!

-Rob

Very nice Rob! It was great weather here for early Feb and I too was able to enjoy a smoke. Plus the poor dog got a walk too. Sounds like with all the work of late you deserved that cigar.

Damon

Great review, Rob! Which was more rare, the beautiful Feb weather or the cigar?

Good question, Elliot. :laugh:

I'd have to say the cigar. There are plenty of chances as we move forward for unusually nice February weather. :thumbs:

I trust all is well.

Best,

Rob

Very nice Rob! It was great weather here for early Feb and I too was able to enjoy a smoke. Plus the poor dog got a walk too. Sounds like with all the work of late you deserved that cigar.

Damon

Thanks Damon. It was nice to get outside and enjoy a cigar. I hope we can get together for a smoke once the weather breaks for good.

Rob

I agree Rob. I have made a commitment to smoke more cigars this year. It's just hard sometimes to meet up with others. A good smoke is best enjoyed with company. I look forward to getting together.

Damon

Thanks for the great review! Looks like an amazing cigar and also a beautiful day. We have had some exceptional February weather here in Kansas as well (the only difference is I haven't got to smoke an 80's Cohiba Lancero in it) :laugh: