• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Leaving for week....and a question..

{tpc}

Professional Poker Tournament Loser
So going on vacation for a week leaving Saturday.  Can't wait to get away from this snow!  Anyways, my question is, has anyone had any luck recently packing a torch lighter in checked baggage?  I'm tired of the zippo that I usually bring (and will again just in case) so I picked up a cheap Ronson to toss in the checked bag.  I figure if they take it  they take.  Just wondered if anyone has any recent experience or hints.

Tony, I use to do it until I heard about the ridiculous fine you can get and not worth it in my opinion. Better off with matches or buying a cheap lighter when you get there. I'm pretty sure you can get away with it but is it worth the fine if you get caught - I don't  think so.

Enjoy your vacation with those nice sticks your taking.  :thumbs:

Oh, damn, thanks for the heads up Kristopher, I did not know about the fine.  Your right, not worth that!

Thanks again for the help with the sticks!  I really appreciate it!  :)  I cannot wait to partake of them, they will make the vacation for sure! :D

I pack mine every time. There is a certified case for butane lighters. Colibri Tranzpack. I've been using mine about 7 years and never had an issue.

Just FYI, here's mine.  You still have to put it in your checked luggage, but it's TSA and DOT approved.

gallery_3010_541_52072.jpg

gallery_3010_541_60009.jpeg

We flew north last August. I just stuck mine in the corn or of our large checked bag. No problems. Don't think you have an issue either way, but you might consider un fueling it while transporting.

Have a great trip.

I use the same device as Wyatt and have never had a problem.

MrAnderson41 said:
If you use the DOT case do you have to purge the lighter?

I've never done so and haven't had an issue.  I also believe it says in the documents you get with the case, or on their site, that you can put a filled light in it.  Really, what's the point of the case if you can't travel with it filled?

I've never had an issue with it in checked bags. I don't do anything special with it.

For carry-on, they'll take it unless it's purged completely.

In my experiences... follow the rules... blah blah blah.... ;)

I've always been afraid of losing my lighter to some "less than honest" culprit.  Therefore I usually just buy one where ever I wind up going.  That lighter and I have been through a lot together.  :thumbs:

I have never purged mine either. I just toss it in the Tranzpack and go.

What Wyatt uses. I travel all the time and have never had any issues with that. There are other kinds as well as long as they have the DOT statement on them.

Ok I will have to look for one of these. Of course with the time crunch it will probably be when I get back, and I'll just order it online.

Thanks for the help guys. :) Where I am going there is a walmart so maybe they will have a ronson there. The stores in town usually have nothing cheap just more expensive torches.

See if you can find the Otter Box kind that is DOT approved.

x2 on the Zippo Otter box. Don't know if they are sold anymore, but I think I paid $8 for one back in 2007. Never had an issue flying with it. 

Just as an update, I flew to New Orleans this week. I used my pictured Tranzpack to bring my S.T. DuPont. No issues.