• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Life has a way of kicking you in the balls....

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
I'm a firm believer that God has a plan for each of us. That being said, sometimes I would really appreciate it if there was a warning sign once in a while, like, "Caution - Bridge is Out" or something.

After a few years of being crammed into a crappy studio apartment with my wife, dog, two snakes and two parrots, we finally managed to get ourselves to a point where we could afford a bigger place. The wife had obtained a great job working for the OC Register newspaper, significantly bumping up our yearly income. This enabled us to pay down debt, and we were now able to put ourselves into a bigger, nicer place.

Next up, let's start our family!

Wife is pregnant, the move is a coming, life is good. We move in, and have managed to save enough to buy us real furniture, as well as finally pull the stuff that was sitting in storage. The place is feeling like a home, and the wife's baby bump is getting bigger and bigger. Awesome! Money is tight, no biggie though, it's all going to be worth it in the long run. Work approves her doing her job from home once it's too difficult while pregnant, saving us a lot of money because she won't have to burn as much of her vacation/sick time as fast. Now she can work until the baby is here, then take a few months off afterwards and we only take a small hit.

Today, she finds out there will be a company wide two week furlough. Heads of departments are getting offered the golden handshake (severance packages), and told if they don't take it, if/when layoffs come, the deal won't be half as sweet.

Great. So far, her job isn't at risk, but if the ship is sinking it won't be too long before she's affected as well. Right after we just signed a year lease on a place that's $600 more a month.

Prayers if you got 'em folks. She's started looking for a new job, but with her being over the halfway mark on the pregnancy, this is going to suck. Hopefully it's all because something better is meant to come along. I sure could use the break!

Anyway, thanks for letting me bitch at no one in particular. I know many here have hit hard times and pulled through it, which gives me hope.

Hang in there.  I'm sure something better will turn up soon.

Very frustrating when we felt like financially stability was very close. I just hope something better presents itself for her. I'm fortunate I have job security, but taking a $2k a month pay cut is not something I look forward to, if she does lose her job. At least I have the option of picking up a second job if need be. Maybe Total Wine is hiring? Ha!

Good news is that you likely still have at least half a year before any more layoffs kick in, if they do at all. The company could have just been purging high paid execs.

True, but this is the second round of layoffs. The company has expanded vastly over the last year, and I think they bit off more than they could chew. Here's hoping they are just looking to make the company leaner and more streamlined...

The shitty thing too is her aunt is an editor there, and her uncle is a senior journalist. Both are pretty much gone. Devastating news for them.

Look at the bright side, you're not having twins! You might have a chat with the Sky Boss, he loves us all.

Keeping you guys in our thoughts.  Life has a way of working itself out if you let it.  I hope it works out quickly and things start looking up and stress-free.

No more than you can handle....that is the rule right?

You got his man, no worries!

Keep your head up and an eye on the future.

T

I'm in a similar situation myself.  Just got a new place, just had a baby 2 months ago, and the day I came back to work, a foreign company initiated a hostile take over attempt.  They've already made a press release about how they will gut R&D (I work in R&D) so I am guaranteed to be cut if the deal goes through.  So I definitely feel your pain and uncertainty.  The good thing is that you can see this coming and prepare for it just in case.  Your wife is in a much better position in that she can start searching while she's still employed and firing a pregnant woman is an HR hurdle.

Definitely got you in my thoughts and wishing you and your family the best.

Money is just that. Money. You find a way to live in your means. If it comes to that.

God does have a plan and you know it will work out, just not always the way you see it working out.

Charles, keep your head up as things always get better. Will keep you in our prayers brother.

Thanks all. We already were tightening our belts, guess we will really be cinching them down now, lol. She just came home, and told me now they are offering severance packages to anyone who will take them, and that they want to cut 75% of their people so they can replace them with minimum wage interns.

Yikes. Luckily, my wife is one of the smartest people I know, so someone will hire her. It's just finding that someone that will be tough. Thanks for the prayers, it's helped lift my spirits knowing there are folks out there praying for my little family. You all are awesome.

modo22 said:
Money is just that. Money. You find a way to live in your means. If it comes to that.

True words.  True words.  Keep perspective.  Good luck, bro.

What Ben said! One thing I have learned in this life is that the saying "When one door closes, another one opens" is very true. The door that opens is usually better.

jfields said:
One thing I have learned in this life is that the saying "When one door closes, another one opens" is very true. The door that opens is usually better.
Yes! I like that one. It is so true and in my life two years ago, that saying meant the world to me and still does. Good one to remember when life is seeming rough.

Hang in there. I think back to how tough my younger years were, and somehow through hard work and perserverance, we made it. I trust you will too. (even with sore balls)

Best to you both!

You can only do what you can do. Get up in the morning and continue to put one foot in front of the other and thank whoever you believe in that you were able to do that. My prayers will be with you and yours.  

Sorry to hear that Charles... I hope that things take a turn for the better very soon brother... Life can be a bitch sometimes... but like everyone has said, you will surely figure it out!!