• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long time cigar smoker getting into pipes

investandprosper

Hey gents,

I've smoked cigars for the past 5 years or so, and want to give pipes a try.  I'm not sure what type of pipe to start with or what type of tobacco to try.  I would rather get a decent pipe rather than a throw-away, and my cigar tastes gravitate toward Bolivar, H. Upmann, Cohiba, and Ramon Allones.  Any suggestions from our pipe gurus?

Thanks!

John

I would get a nice IMP or BAKI Meerschaum. Fantastic pipes. Start with a med sized tobacco chamber. You pay a little more, but the quality is there in materials and workmanship.
Otherwise, I prefer Stanwells because of many of their attributes, and I consider them good bang for the buck.
Tobacco; there is a thread somewhere on CP where folks listed desert island blends, etc. 

I ordered a Peterson Harp XL02. Pretty excited to see what this pipe smoking is all about!

I just started smoking pipes a few months ago. For me I was initially disappointed in it. Compared to my normal cigar smoking it seemed bland and boring plus all the hassle of learning how pack the pipe, breaking in a pipe, etc...

I tried allot of different pipe tobaccos and still was underwhelmed. After a few weeks though I really started to enjoy pipe tobacco flavors on a different level. My daily smoke now is a pipe and when I do light up a cigar I have more enjoyment out of it.

So the point I'm trying to make is pipe smoking is nothing like cigar smoking. LOL.

Also, buy a few cheap pipes to practice on. You don't want to ruin a $100 pipe learning on it. I bought three estate briars for $40 on eBay. Not bad smokers either. One of which is still in my rotation.

Thanks for your input brother.  I thought about getting a cheaper pipe to get my feet wet, but figured I would do my homework and do my best to get it right the first go around.  I ended up getting two pipes and some various tobacco to try.  It should all be here on Monday:

Peterson Calabash
pm-pptspcf-cal-s.png

Peterson Harp XL02
pm-pptcrhf-xl02-s.png

Dunhill Sampler
pp-pncsmp39.png

and some Peterson Sherlock Holmes
pb-ptl.png

Looks like some good choices. Personally, I tend to buy pipes in the $60-$75 range, and have found some nicely constructed Tsuges that smoke really well. 

I love the Peterson XL02, it has a good weight to it and feels comfortable in the hand.  The Calabash is a little smaller than I thought it would be, but it's a beautiful pipe.  It smokes well, but I think I might put it up for sale and get something a little larger.  Photos of the two pipes!  Great quality of wood on both.

calabash.jpg

peterson_xl02.jpg

Mitch Schellinger said:
Did you get your goodies?  How is it going?

The Peterson XL02 started gurgling on every bowl, smoked slowly or not, and I noticed that it was drilled extremely high.  I ended up sending it back.  I still have the Calabash, and after breaking it in it smokes like a champ.  Nice little pipe for a quick smoke.  I've since bought a Dunhill Shell Briar estate on eBay which arrives today, and a older Peterson estate from the Dublin & London days.  I'll post photos when things arrive =)

My favorite blends are Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture and Escudo.  I guess I have a thing for VaPers.