• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for Grill recommendations for spring 2022

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
This is me getting way ahead of myself. Next spring, I’ll need to replace my 12 year old Weber Performer. Over the years it has done me good. I’m at a point where I can cook food based on temp and time and it comes out perfect. Perfect! My Performer is rusting to pieces. I need to replace it. I’m considering getting a new Performer. I am also considering getting a Komodo from Costco. I have seen a lot of other options too from folks her and on the V Herf.
So, what can you recommend for someone who routinely grills steaks, veggies, hamburgers and the occasional pizza or beer can chicken? I don’t smoke meat but would like to try.
please go ahead and share your thoughts.
Edit to add- while I gravitate to charcoal, if your animated about gas or pellets then please try convert me.

I love my big green egg for smoking, but I have to say my favorite grill purchase of all time has been my Blackstone griddle with built in air fryers. It is so versatile and easy to cook just about anything on. Worth exploring as an option, IMO.

I love my big green egg for smoking, but I have to say my favorite grill purchase of all time has been my Blackstone griddle with built in air fryers. It is so versatile and easy to cook just about anything on. Worth exploring as an option, IMO.
I've just got the little 17" one for my camper, but I love it. Just made burgers on it, actually.

If ya ain’t really into smoking, get another Weber and stay with charcoal. It’s an experience, so live it. You have the hard part down(time, temp, etc)

If ya go smoker type, Katie bar the door! Chevy, Ford, Dodge, my friend! Good luck.

Floyd T
Proud owner of GMG Jim Bowie Choice w/WiFi.

Jon @cabaiguan juan I know this isn't what you are looking for but it could help someone reading this thread. I have a fairly large natural gas grill which I modified and I am happy with it.

I put fire brick on half of the lower grill, where you would put lava rock, and packed the other half of that grill with lava rock. I bought a $12 smoker tube on Amazon and I love the variety of things I can do with it.

1. I can cold smoke cheese or salmon with the smoker tube (no heat).
  2. When I cook virtually any meat, I light the burner under the fire brick and leave it on low with the smoker tube pumping out smoke for 15-30 minutes depending on the meat. I then light the other side (under the lava rock) and remove the meat while the grill gets up to 700 degrees and then super-sear the meat. The smoke flavor is awesome!
  3. Now my grill has taken on the wonderful smell of a smoker.
Good luck with whatever you get!

I have the Weber Performer and love it, nothing beats charcoal. I also have a Masterbuilt smoker, which works well for us. The other 2 things I’m considering is a Blackstone and a pizza oven (think ooni size).

I have the Weber genesis ll and it’s great. I also have a standard Weber kettle when feeling like smoking and a Weber Smoky Mountain when it’s time to eat ribs. Seems like a lot, but each serves its own purpose. The Genesis has a lot of space, I have a rotisserie spinner, flat iron insert and is just really customizable depending what I’m cooking.

Jon @cabaiguan juan I know this isn't what you are looking for but it could help someone reading this thread. I have a fairly large natural gas grill which I modified and I am happy with it.

I put fire brick on half of the lower grill, where you would put lava rock, and packed the other half of that grill with lava rock. I bought a $12 smoker tube on Amazon and I love the variety of things I can do with it.

1. I can cold smoke cheese or salmon with the smoker tube (no heat).
  2. When I cook virtually any meat, I light the burner under the fire brick and leave it on low with the smoker tube pumping out smoke for 15-30 minutes depending on the meat. I then light the other side (under the lava rock) and remove the meat while the grill gets up to 700 degrees and then super-sear the meat. The smoke flavor is awesome!
  3. Now my grill has taken on the wonderful smell of a smoker.
Good luck with whatever you get!
This sounds awesome, have you got any pics?

My go to is a Blackstone pro my family loves when I cook breakfast on the griddle.

I've got the BGE Mini Max. I've never really grilled on it, but where it excels is long smoking. It's pretty small, but a pork butt fits on it fine or a side of baby back ribs (cut in half) or an 8 pack of chicken thighs. I got it as a gift and wasn't sure what I'd think, but had it a couple of years and use it all the time. They also got me the pizza stone and it does great pizza, but 450 is about as hot as it gets. Just have to cook it a little longer. The thing gets great mileage out of not a lot of charcoal, it'll stay above 200 for 6~7 hours or so no sweat off a single load of charcoal. And I can cook a pizza and still have enough coals left to do some chicken, that's handy.

Not really a sales pitch or endorsement, I realize you'd want something bigger. I have a bigger shop made grill/smoker that I use for spare ribs or a whole brisket (the little BGE will do 1/2 a brisket which is fine as long as I remember to cut it in half before I freeze it) and a Weber kettle I use to grill stuff on. So it's just an addition to the arsenal, but I've also never used the full sized model. It would probably do fine as a grill, but the little Weber is just a lot easier to clean out so lazy me uses it for that. Also worth mentioning that this is just for a household of 1.

I'll be interested in hearing from a full sized BGE owner, too, but after going from not really knowing what to think of my mini max to using the heck out of it I'd sure hate to be without it. I imagine the bigger one shares many of the attributes that I like about the smaller one.

One other thing - they are kinda spendy. I nearly shat meself when I saw what even the Mini Max cost (luckily my relatives are wealthier than I am) and I'm not sure I would have dropped that amount of coin on one but they are very well made and well supported as a brand.

Good luck in your hunt, I've already done a bit of reading up on other units mentioned so far in the thread.

You need a Recteq and a Blackstone. You can tear out your kitchen once those two are setup and seasoned.
Remind me which one does what. Is the black stone the griddle and the texted the smoker? What do you cook steaks on?

Blackstone is the Griddle yes
Recteq is the smoker.
You can do steaks on both. I've done steaks on both in the last 3 weeks even. Just depends on how you want to cook it.

John, give me your best sales pitch on the BGE. Hopefully I catch you before you and @CigarStone get to the cabin.
Pros:
1. Versatile. You can bake, smoke, and grill on it. I’ve smoked meats, grilled stuff, made pizza. Then with the Dutch oven I have, I’ve made desserts, and stews.
2. Makes the best stuff I’ve ever had. Something about the clay/terra cotta does something to make everything taste so good and stay moist.
3. Their warranty is the best! I’ve had a few things crack. I suspect because even though I keep it covered outside. Moisture gets in, and going from cold wet, to suddenly hot caused this. They have replaced everything with no hassle or questions asked.

Cons:
1. Expensive! I would never have spent that kind of money for a grill had Donella not surprised me one Fathers Day. I’m glad she did though. If someone stole mine, I would replace it in a second.
2. There is no quick, push a button and instantly start cooking. You have to wait about a half hour, even if you’re just wanting to cook hamburgers and hotdogs. I don’t have any issue with this now. I kept my gas grill for about six months after got the BGE, but then gave it away for free when I realized I’d never use it again.
Green Top Sporting Goods has the best selection of accessories, and I liked their service a little better than the dealer that was 10 minutes from me.