• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for smallish electronic humidifier for desktop humidor.

{tpc}

Professional Poker Tournament Loser
Hi all! Just got a text from a friend of mines son. He is interested in purchasing a smaller electronic humidifying unit for his dad (for fathers day I assume) to fit into his current desktop humidor. I can't give you an exact dimension of the humi, but its your typical desktop. Its not some tiny 20ct thing or some giant 500ct. Maybe 100-200? I'm going to guess the size to be something like 12x12 and 4-5 inches deep.

Basically he has found a couple (didn't tell me which) but he was unsure of if they were any good or not. Cigar Oasis immediately jumped to my mind, but lol I don't know if they are any good or not! I do recall that they made some smaller units though.

Any help or personal experiences you can offer are greatly appreciated!!

I would think that an active system would be overkill on a desktop. I would tell him to buy a couple bags of boveda for his dad.

I agree with the above. Boveda or beads.

Boveda states their regular bag is good for 25 sticks so he could do the math. I do agree, easiest way to go.

I understand. However I think he just wants to get him a gadget for Father's Day. These guys aren't die hard enthusiasts. This is what he wants to get him. A bag a beads and some sticks won't have the same "wow" factor. I know for most here it would, but that's not who these guys are.

I appreciate the response but still revert back to my original request. Thanks though, I get what your saying...but "I" already knew that hehe.

Makes sense.

Tough to help when I can't relate. I own both a Hydra Plus and a Cigar Oasis. Both work well. I replaced the foam with beads. CO makes a tiny electronic humidifier that's about the size of most 100-200 ct brick sponge humidifiers. At least that one is built for that type of space with nearly no water reservoir because the air can barely hold the humidity.

If he puts the full Hydra or CO in that humi, he'll use about 30 sticks worth of space and likely oversaturate any cigars in the vicinity of his electronic humidity device. The one built for that size is called the Cigar Oasis Ultra 2 I believe.

I also wish I would have just spent the money on an Avallo unit. Better to spend the 300-400 on something more accurate and better suited for the space than to spend 100-200 multiple times.

Edited to Add - The last line had nothing to do with your question. I was commiserating with myself.

I understand. However I think he just wants to get him a gadget for Father's Day. These guys aren't die hard enthusiasts. This is what he wants to get him. A bag a beads and some sticks won't have the same "wow" factor. I know for most here it would, but that's not who these guys are.

I appreciate the response but still revert back to my original request. Thanks though, I get what your saying...but "I" already knew that hehe.

I can respect that. That's why I didn't want to insult the question, because I figured it may very well be that he doesn't care so much about anything but getting a gadget. Knowing that, I'm not a ton of help. But have you looked at this? Seems it takes up minimal space and is made for mounting on the lid or under a tray.

http://www.cigartoyz.com/_e/CIGAR_OASIS/product/CO-ULT/Cigar_Oasis_Ultra.htm

Well, credit where credit is due. Size wise it's good. It is a gadget and after about eight Boveda packs it pays for itself. Pretty good I say. Better get your butt moving, ya only got about two weeks.

Just a reminder that Boveda packs are reuseable/refillable for at least a while, I use them in drawers and the like and when they get a bit crispy take them out and put them near or on top of some of those waterpillows that are filled up without the little baggie they come with. They absorb the additional moisture and then are ready for the humidor and don't take a lot of space.

Just a reminder that Boveda packs are reuseable/refillable for at least a while, I use them in drawers and the like and when they get a bit crispy take them out and put them near or on top of some of those waterpillows that are filled up without the little baggie they come with. They absorb the additional moisture and then are ready for the humidor and don't take a lot of space.
Did not know...thanks.

I bought a dozen Boveda packs 3 years ago and keep 6 at a time in my CC humi. Seems they last about 3 months. I recharge the used spent ones in a Tupperware container with a bowl of distilled. Depends on how dry they were, but it usually takes 7-10 days to recharge. In the meantime I just put the other 6 in and just keep the rotation as needed. They still work as new. When they are recharged I just set them in my wineador until they are needed.

I used KL and HF beads for the wineador. Very easy to maintain.

I can respect that. That's why I didn't want to insult the question, because I figured it may very well be that he doesn't care so much about anything but getting a gadget. Knowing that, I'm not a ton of help. But have you looked at this? Seems it takes up minimal space and is made for mounting on the lid or under a tray.

http://www.cigartoyz.com/_e/CIGAR_OASIS/product/CO-ULT/Cigar_Oasis_Ultra.htm
I actually bought one of those when they came out and was very disappointed. The hygrometer was way off rendering it basically useless. They may have fixed it or I might have gotten a lemon. I also now realize, as was said, it is simply inappropriate for a desktop. This is a square peg in a round hole situation, I'm afraid. Learn from the more experienced people on this site or be prepared for the hard knocks. ;)