• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lost the key to humidor.

Nathan52789

Some how the key to my humidor disappeared. I have no idea where it went; been looking all over for it. Is there anyway I can get in to the humidor without damaging it? It's got one of the old style round key locks.

If its portable, carry it to a locksmith. If he charges you to open it, he is a gouger!

Try using various size allen wrenchs, or any key of similiar shape and size insert and attempt to turn. Most locks on humi and such are not actually meant to deter theft, just to provide a retention method.

Or send it to me, I will have my locksmith open it and I will relieve you of three of your cigars :whistling:

Thanks guys, I'll have to go find a set of allen wrenches somewhere in my tools, or try and find another key of the same size. Anybody know where they sell older keys?

any old school skeleton key should work too or handkuff key if that fails you can use a wire cloths hanger

Has your wife or significant other been pressuring you to quit? If so, check there first.

Since only you know what style of lock it is (at least without posting pictures) you've probably got the best sort of idea about how to fashion a pick based on what the key looks like. If it's extremely cheap, a paperclip might be all you need to do the trick.

No pushing to quit by anybody here.
redo2.jpg
There's a picture best quality I could get. Don't know if it will help or not.

on some (and it looks like it's yours), as you turn the key a hook turns around inside to lock it...nothing fancy at all...just grab a paperclip or credit card, put it in between the lid and side, start from the right side and swipe across it where the lock is...or start from the left....that's what I did when I lost my key, on both of my humidors and it worked! Good luck

on some (and it looks like it's yours), as you turn the key a hook turns around inside to lock it...nothing fancy at all...just grab a paperclip or credit card, put it in between the lid and side, start from the right side and swipe across it where the lock is...or start from the left....that's what I did when I lost my key, on both of my humidors and it worked! Good luck

Thanks I'll try and do that a little bit later tonight. I'll report back.

Am I the only one who leaves the key in the latch?

No sir your not I do the same the key stays in the lock and the spare is stashed where I know it is safe. If my key ever vanishes from the lock I have a backup. But I will also have to decide if the girlfriend or the cigars stay :whistling:

Best Regards
Don

I finally managed to it open. I got a jewelers screw driver and was able to push the little thing out and release the latch and close it back. Thanks for the help.

I finally managed to it open. I got a jewelers screw driver and was able to push the little thing out and release the latch and close it back. Thanks for the help.

Congratulations. And now that it's open, grab something nice to smoke, and head over to the Intro forum to tell us a little bit about yourself.

Congratulations. And now that it's open, grab something nice to smoke, and head over to the Intro forum to tell us a little bit about yourself.

Wow, the thread lasted 3.5 hours before someone rendered this advice?! The irascible among our FOG's have become complacent.

This is the reason why my humis don't have locks. Glad you got it open. Did you smoke anything good?

Wow, the thread lasted 3.5 hours before someone rendered this advice?! The irascible among our FOG's have become complacent.

Complacent, unlikely. More focused, definitely.