• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lowering the humidity in the humidor

vewyphishy

The Original Smoking Fish
My humidor maintains about a 76% RH with 2 single humidifiers. One of them recently got a little moldy and I took it out. With only 1 humidifier, the humidor maintains 72%. That's still a little high for my taste, so I decided to experiment and take out the other humidifier and see what RH would register.

It still says 72%. I live in Austin, Texas... and I didn't think it was -that- humid here. Regardless, how do I lower the RH to below 70%?

Also, how do I lower the temperature of the humidor at or below 70°F? I generally keep that apartment at 76°. I keep the humidor on a table. Any ideas?

put it into a closet or on some bottom shelf where it is a little cooler.

for humidity, just open it everyday and (addy in profile), and you will be set.

otherwise, I know that they have things that can reg. temp and humidity, sme are pretty small too.

:thumbs:

-I do not think thsat was too subtle, do you? :sign:

what does the hydrometer read when left outside the box (or, if it is permanently adhered to the top, what does it read when the box is left open for a little while)?

You don't have to listean to Joe :0 But if your smart you will trust climaxx :thumbs:

But then again: if you go with climaxx you will learn to trust Joe :p

The Climmax beads work well to regulate high humidity in conjunction with your other humidifying means. You could also add some silica gel packs to remove excess humidty, but you need to be careful as to not take out too much humdity.

How much space do the Climmax beads take? Can they be used in a small sized box? Can they be packed into a hockey puck?

i asked that before and never got an answer,
if i could replace the foam puck with that
same volume of beads in a desktop. i ordered
a pound of 65% for my coolidor as i've outgrown
my desktop, but i still use it also, so i would like
an answer on the puck holder thing.

todd

blair said:
How much space do the Climmax beads take? Can they be used in a small sized box? Can they be packed into a hockey puck?
Go to the site and see what vern has to offer. He has many things there, Not just loose beads. Matt is right you can use them with your existing humidification devises to regulate your humidity, or you can use his products on there own. I use less than 1/4lb {of 65%} in a 75 count humidor as a "drying box" {it holds at 63%}I keep a few Isoms and domestics in it to be "ready to smoke". I keep an "65% ARMOR" in my 150qts and they stay between 64% in winter and 68% in the summer. My 100qt {coffin style} has two 1/2lb containers of 65% in it, summer time I juice 1 up and the other regulates the over humidity, in the winter I juice both up and it stays perfect. My coolerdors need very little maintenance, I might juice them up 1x a month. During the winter 2x a month.

WHO LOVES YA VERN! :love:

Me and Swemike have orderd humi-system from Vern. I hope this thing works great.... All i have read about he´s magical beads i can´t wait until i can preaper my tupidor :D

I've been using the Climmax beads in my desktop humidors and my coolidors for almost two years now. Humidity stays rocksteady at 65% or 70% depending on what type of beads are being used, I have both.

The best thing is not having to recharge them every 2-3 weeks like I use to with the foam humidifiers. Also I don't sweat over having to check the humidity every couple of days like I use to.

can't wait until my beads come in!!
i'm lining my coolerdor and frigidor with the
thin cedar that comes on top in a box. my pride
and joy is my PAM 64 and PAM 26 sheets!
they will be the centerpiece of my collage!

todd

Hey vewy, I'd say leave the box open out in the dry sun for a few hours. That'll get it down below 70% real fast.

I left my digital hydrometer out of the box overnight just to see what the readings would show. Temperature was as expected (room temp, about 74°) and RH was down to about 63-65%. Wouldn't it be ideal to just leave the lid open? What would the point of the humidor be?

One other thing... those "beads" you're talking about... are they actual beads or the crystals that I saw on the website?

Whoa dude, you live in a humidor!! :thumbs:

Most people don't have room humidity like yours. Mine runs about 30-40 percent usually. Your room humidity is just slightly low, but even then probably won't stay constant. The humidor when set up correctly will stay constant.

The crystals you mention are actually little plastic beads. They will absorb or expel moisture to maintain there preset humidity. You can get them for either 65 or 70 percent.

Some beads are clear some or opaque. Does anyone know why this is. I just assumed it had to do in some way with the dual use of the beads. Any one know for sure??

i have another queston.
if you mix 70% and 65% beads, will you get 67%
or so. i'm completely ignorant about the beads i'm
getting. any and all info will be appreciated!

todd

Sounds like your hygrometer could be off a bit. If you room is in the 60% humidity range you'd know it, I would think.

LuckyDawg said:
i have another queston.
if you mix 70% and 65% beads, will you get 67%
or so. i'm completely ignorant about the beads i'm
getting. any and all info will be appreciated!

todd
helloooooooo............anybodyyyyyyy??

Good question. Dont know what to say. Think I would call or e-mail Vern. He knows and shares info freely. And he's good.

just to be a punk... i'll say the RH's add together and you get 135% humidity. :D