• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

May be getting a Tower Built

Kxthor911

I have a friend that builds cabinets and has offered to build a humidor for me, he has never built one before though so I need some advice.

My questions are these: 

1. does it matter what type of wood you use on the outside? as long as its hardwood. I know humidity affects different woods differently. Also I'm guessing that a varnish on the outside will not harm the inside of the humidor's purpose?

2. how thick does the cedar need to be on the inside of the humidor? how do you go about fixing it to the inside (use of brass nails or screws, or glue (which type of glue please))

3. where would you get hinges that would provide a good seal? I'm not really going the fancy route, just the functional one. thanks for your help guys.

Kxthor911 said:
I have a friend that builds cabinets and has offered to build a humidor for me, he has never built one before though so I need some advice.

My questions are these: 

1. does it matter what type of wood you use on the outside? as long as its hardwood. I know humidity affects different woods differently. Also I'm guessing that a varnish on the outside will not harm the inside of the humidor's purpose?

2. how thick does the cedar need to be on the inside of the humidor? how do you go about fixing it to the inside (use of brass nails or screws, or glue (which type of glue please))

3. where would you get hinges that would provide a good seal? I'm not really going the fancy route, just the functional one. thanks for your help guys.
I have a friend that does wood working but has never built a humidor cabinet either. I see there are no replies to this thread, so anything ever develop with your potential project?

A couple of suggestions. First, use plywood for the core structure. Plywood won't shrink or expand as normal wood. The Spanish cedar lining doesn't have to be very thick. 1/4" should do the trick. As for hinges just use recessed hinges and foam weatherstripping to create the seal. Strong magnets should hold the door firmly shut. There isn't anything magical about creating a tightly sealed box. I can see it being a fun project for the home woodworker.

Yea, I would use a high grade, GREEN CERTIFIED, marine grade plywood or the proper MDF (I think MEDEX may still be good for this but something better may have come along) for dimensional stability.

If you go MDF, he hopefully knows the proper and critical joinery techniques. MDF is not the easiest product to join. For instance, fasteners through the face will hold pretty good, fasteners into the edges can be akin to putting a screw into the side of pages of a book. Essentially no holding power. Better get the right adhesives for the materials and the environment. (ALWAYS call the company and ask to speak with an Applications Engineer)

You do not want the moisture to be able to get to the hardwood. Being finished on one side (outside) and an unfinished side exposed to moisture WILL warp. (I used to design a lot of industrial checkout stands, melon bars, buffet tables, kiosks, etc.) 

Both materials are VERY tough on tools with the Plywood being the worst. 

When I spoke to Bob at Stabell, he said he uses white pine for his base box. That's all I can add.

Pugman1943 said:
When I spoke to Bob at Stabell, he said he uses white pine for his base box. That's all I can add.

I'n guessing it's more a frame than a box, but who knows. He does such a good job hiding certain construction details. If a frame, it makes sense. That MDF is a pain in the neck.

MichaelD said:
A couple of suggestions. First, use plywood for the core structure. Plywood won't shrink or expand as normal wood. The Spanish cedar lining doesn't have to be very thick. 1/4" should do the trick. As for hinges just use recessed hinges and foam weatherstripping to create the seal. Strong magnets should hold the door firmly shut. There isn't anything magical about creating a tightly sealed box. I can see it being a fun project for the home woodworker.

Agree with the above.  Some say even 1/8 of cedar is enough.  At the end of the day its really your call and wallet.

Well, this potential project for me is now over, as I have just acquired an Aristocrat DX Humidor.  

Seems like a good outcome to me! Hopefully it arrives soon. Enjoy it!

cigars&coffee said:
Well, this potential project for me is now over, as I have just acquired an Aristocrat DX Humidor.  

Very nice John. Now where are the pics?