• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maybe the second time will be the charm... new legislation to keep the FDA out of our cigars.

A temporary reprieve is the best we can hope - but hope smokes eternal! ;)

Possible dumb question here....when it comes to the 2007 grandfathering, does it mean specific cigars vs. lines/brands? For example, while a JdN Antaño lancero would be grandfathered in, if they decided to make a brand new maduro version of the same cigar, would that require the new approval process?

From my reading line extensions would fall under the approval process. Folks we are now in deep chit.

I've seen some manufacturers re-releasing previously discontinued lines.
I've been wondering if this is due to taking full advantage of the grandfather clause i.e., keeping a more robust product line.
Also, if this is the case, I'm wondering if it is a sound strategy in that the FDA has to go by the original release date, regardless of the line's history.

No question there are plenty of potentially devastating impacts beyond this, but the end of all annual, seasonal, themed, TAA, shop exclusive cigars from any and all brands that manage to survive was just something that came to mind.

Can anyone explain what they mean when discussing how online sales would be somehow impacted?

I understand why the FDA is trying to regulate all tobacco products, despite it being a giant witch hunt, but would they then have control of overseas sales? I mean, couldn't I just order a bunch of Dominican cigars from Mexico or Canada which have different regulations and have them shipped to me? Clearly it isn't a fiscally feasible option for all of Miami's industries to move operations to Mexico or Canada or the Dominican or wherever, but if they did, wouldn't they be able to continue business via online sites?

Still trying to wrap my head around this complete shiz show. The whole thing just makes me angry. We live in a crazy world right now and I don't like it one bit.

Edited to add:
I hope all the cigar manufacturers sue the heck out of the FDA and win... This is garbage.

On the lighter side I do have a couple of hipsters about to make a run on vape juice.

Keep in mind that General, Swisher and the like are behind writing these regs. They gain by putting the premium guys out of business. It's one of the reasons that flavored cigars aren't mentioned as evidence of young people smoking but premium cigars are. What 14 year old buys Padrons over the gas station candied crap?

Yea, Big Tobacco, and I think even Big Pharma, i.e., competition. My take, from what I've read, is that Big Pharma would like more of a strangle hold on Nicotine delivery. Hell, big Pharma owns the FDA. Latest nominee is deeply entrenched with them, and supported many drugs later deemed highly dangerous. I would love to see a well organized lawsuit, but the opponents have incredible financial resources. We'll see.

56152575.jpg

No question there are plenty of potentially devastating impacts beyond this, but the end of all annual, seasonal, themed, TAA, shop exclusive cigars from any and all brands that manage to survive was just something that came to mind.

It will all depend on how long the "testing" takes, the cost of the testing (something that has not yet been established), and what this testing actually entails. Once we have this information we will have a better idea of the industry going forward.

I could see brands with sharp management getting the timing down in order to get seasonal releases out. Lets not panic just yet, there is quite a battle ahead however.

Last edited:
One of the best industry-pro excerpts I have read on the topic, courtesy of our friends at Halfwheel:

"Once FDA announces the cost of applications for substantial equivalence, we will have a much better grasp of what this means for the cigar industry going forward. The craft beer industry is booming with new products in an industry where most bottles and cans must be approved before they enter the market. Industries adapt and evolve, but they can survive and thrive, even with regulation".

So...........how is this gonna effect Johnny? If his cigars dissappear because of this that would be devastating.

Yea, Big Tobacco, and I think even Big Pharma, i.e., competition. My take, from what I've read, is that Big Pharma would like more of a strangle hold on Nicotine delivery. Hell, big Pharma owns the FDA. Latest nominee is deeply entrenched with them, and supported many drugs later deemed highly dangerous. I would love to see a well organized lawsuit, but the opponents have incredible financial resources. We'll see.

Did someone say lawsuit?