• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memorial Bands for Jon Montoya (Souldog)

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Many of you knew Jon, both on the boards and off. Those of you that were fortunate to make it to the memorial herf heard me talk of getting memorial bands made for him, and were very much wanting to hear more.

So, I finally present the idea to the forum in general, and am open for ideas, input, etc.

Here is what I am proposing:

I'd like to see first of all who all wants to purchase a band. What I am looking at is a company called Survival Straps, which makes the paracord bracelets that have become so popular. Normally, I'd frown upon paying that much for something made so easily at home, but this isn't a normal situation. Jon was a member of the law enforcement community, and a great cop. For us, we have what is called, "The Thin Blue Line." It represents the men and women of law enforcement who work day and night to keep those who would do harm at bay from our community. What I would like to do is do a black wristband with a single line of blue cord running through it, with a dog tag attached with Jon's name and End of Watch stamped on it. Cost wise, I am hoping if we have enough people ordering, we can work out a discounted rate through the company, but nothing is for certain as I haven't talked to them yet. It could range from $30-35 per band I estimate, maybe less.

I'm going to contact the company tomorrow and see what I can work out with them. If they can get a discount worked in, what I also am thinking of doing is charging full price for the bands, and whatever the extra profit is from the discount, sending it to Jon's family. It likely won't be much, but I'm sure they would be appreciative.

Again, this is just in the early stages of planning, so it may take some time and logistics to set up and get rolling, so if you have suggestions, PLEASE tell me.

Sounds good, very interesting.  I'll watch for the details as they emerge.

If the dog tag hangs from the band, make sure it's relatively easy to remove.  I wouldn't wear something on my wrist with a dangling tag on it....  Would be nice if it could be woven into the wrist band somehow...??

BlindedByScience said:
Sounds good, very interesting.  I'll watch for the details as they emerge.

If the dog tag hangs from the band, make sure it's relatively easy to remove.  I wouldn't wear something on my wrist with a dangling tag on it....  Would be nice if it could be woven into the wrist band somehow...??

Agree, I'm not a dangling jewelry type of person as heartfelt as the memorial is.  I would definitely be interested if it can be all one piece as Tom said.

It's flat across the top, attached from both sides. I'm going to order one, and I'll post up photos of it once it arrives. I'm going to do this right, so this is just a preliminary post to let folks know what's coming down the pipeline.

I would be interested in seeing the prototype piece.  Sounds like a very nice memory of a great BOTL.