• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Miami Bans Public Smoking, except for cigars

Looks like the justification rationale they used is the issue of litter from cigarette butts. Hence the unfiltered cigar terminology. Brilliant since it stops any discrimination complaints. Cigar butts are biodegradable. Hopefully, cigar smokers in Miami are smart enough, and courteous enough to remove any bands before tossing butts.

Looks like the justification rationale they used is the issue of litter from cigarette butts. Hence the unfiltered cigar terminology. Brilliant since it stops any discrimination complaints. Cigar butts are biodegradable. Hopefully, cigar smokers in Miami are smart enough, and courteous enough to remove any bands before tossing butts.
That's exactly the rationale used. Desantis wants to do this statewide since the largest source of pollution in parks, beaches etc. in the state are cigarette butts which are toxic and non biodegradable. The cost of cleaning up the cigarette butts is significant to the state. As far as the exception for unfiltered cigars goes.. I'm sure the size of the cigar industry in the state and in this case the city of Miami and the amount of taxers paid by these businesses made this exception an easy decision for the lawmakers.

Seeing laws like this is one of the many reasons I'm so glad to have moved down here from NY. This type of thing would've been an absolute shitshow if put in the hands of NY lawmakers.

That's exactly the rationale used. Desantis wants to do this statewide since the largest source of pollution in parks, beaches etc. in the state are cigarette butts which are toxic and non biodegradable. The cost of cleaning up the cigarette butts is significant to the state. As far as the exception for unfiltered cigars goes.. I'm sure the size of the cigar industry in the state and in this case the city of Miami and the amount of taxers paid by these businesses made this exception an easy decision for the lawmakers.

Seeing laws like this is one of the many reasons I'm so glad to have moved down here from NY. This type of thing would've been an absolute shitshow if put in the hands of NY lawmakers.
When did you move and where in Florida ?

I find this interesting. Do they like cigars, or do they figure very little cigar smoking will happen?

Last time I was in Miami it seemed like it might be frowned upon, so I never lit up at the beach or park, just couldn’t tell. We did end up at a cigar bar and I had one there.

I think Chicago bans it everywhere but I’ve been known to slip a small one in down by the Riverwalk area. ;)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

(self-reported: politics)
Thats far more often than the average politician.🤣

I have often wondered why cig butts were never considered polluting.

You can bet your butt (pun intended) the cig smokers will cry foul

While I don’t like cigarettes or cigarette smoke, I feel like cigarette smokers are our only natural ally. This is just a baby step towards a total ban, and we’ll have lost an ally when they come for cigars.

*self-reported

I find this interesting. Do they like cigars, or do they figure very little cigar smoking will happen?

Last time I was in Miami it seemed like it might be frowned upon, so I never lit up at the beach or park, just couldn’t tell. We did end up at a cigar bar and I had one there.

I think Chicago bans it everywhere but I’ve been known to slip a small one in down by the Riverwalk area. ;)
When I am in Miami I smoke cigars just about everywhere and have never been told by anyone not to. I just figured it’s part of the culture there and everyone is fine with it.

While I don’t like cigarettes or cigarette smoke, I feel like cigarette smokers are our only natural ally. This is just a baby step towards a total ban, and we’ll have lost an ally when they come for cigars.

*self-reported
The issue I have with cigarette smokers is none of them dispose their waste properly and the butts are a gross, hazardous, and with respect to dry climates, dangerous nuisance. If the average smoker trashed their butts properly, I'd be more inclined to feel the same way but they don't.

When I am in Miami I smoke cigars just about everywhere and have never been told by anyone not to. I just figured it’s part of the culture there and everyone is fine with it.
When do you plan to be here next?

People in Miami generally don't bother you unless you bother them. People never know who they are going to tell to put that cigar out, or how they might react.

What’s crazy is that I just found out today, Mexico, the entire country has banned public smoking of any kind.

Might put a damper on the guys selling fake Cubans around the marina in Cabo..