• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Middle of the road humidor

Gonz

Ultra Runner
I have an end table cabinet humidor from cheaphumidors.com, I really don't care for it, have been disappointed with it since I rec'd it forever ago, and it doesn't hold a stable RH for shit.

Everyone recommends getting a nice furniture quality piece from Staebell, and I agree his units sure do seem nice.  Quite spendy, upwards of $3k+ for the size and wood species I like.

What's in the middle?  Something nicer than the crap from cheaphumidors but not quite as high end/spendy as an Aristocrat?  I'll more than likely just spend the $ on the Staebell, but I'm curious what my other quality options are.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how big of a humidor you need but don't rule out Staebell's Aristocrat Plus 48. Just a little over $2k. I just got it and love it. I also can tell you If anything is wrong Bob will make it right.

Another recommendation for Avallo. The end table units run for about $1300 with all of the bells and whistles, including shipping.

Imho don't settle and just wait a bit longer to save for an Aristocrat.

I really like the size and dimensions of the Aristocrat Ultra Console cabinet.  It's essentially two side by side end table size cabinets.  I prefer the height and look of the end table/console cabinets, anything higher than that starts to become a focal point of the room, in my opinion, and that's not what I'm going for. 

Here's the link to the size I'm thinking:  http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/ultraindex.html

Bob makes a nice product, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you purchase from him. I love my M+ but I also have a good spot in my living room where it's not a focal point. I can see a piece like the one in your link blending in in almost any living area.

As I've said before, I've had my Staebell for seven years, no regrets.  I'd buy another (bigger) one tomorrow.... :cool:

Avallo. Craftsmanship is the same as aristocrat. Just less customization. Possibly even better humidification unit

Temptation.jpg

Just because. 

Gonz said:
I have an end table cabinet humidor from cheaphumidors.com, I really don't care for it, have been disappointed with it since I rec'd it forever ago, and it doesn't hold a stable RH for shit.

What was the name of the customer service representative you spoke with? Send me a PM with your name and order number and I'll look into it for you.

Peterk814 said:
Avallo. Craftsmanship is the same as aristocrat. Just less customization. Possibly even better humidification unit
Have you seen both, in the "flesh"? I'd also be interested in why you think the Humidification unit, or system, is possibly better?
I've been considering getting an end table to augment my Aristocrat Cabinet. Would like to keep the big unit at 69-70 or even as high as 72, add some fans, etc. Then, I'd like to keep a small unit at about 65.
I love the look of the Montague but no slide out shelves and non-familiarity make me less than comfy.

Peterk814 said:

I'd be curious to hear your experience with both which provides you the knowledge to say for sure.  Or is this simply an opinion based on research online?  Please expand.

I have not seen an Avallo in person, so I can't speak to its quality/functionality.  I will say that they look nice and I've read plenty of positive reviews on them to have relatively good confidence that they are worth the price.

I do have an M-Plus Aristocrat and, like BBS, love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat if needed.  I know they are worth every penny and that the humidification works perfectly.  Additionally, and one of the main reasons I support Aristocrat Humidors, is the level of customer service you get in purchasing the piece.  Not only was I impressed with the level of customization and personalization....but every time I call Aristocrat Humidors, the man himself picks up the phone....every.....damn......time.

But to get back to your question.  I, like others, would recommend you save the money for what you really want....be it Avallo or Aristocrat.  Just live with a coolerdor or whatever until the time comes.  I used a wine-o-dor for about 8 years before I finally got my M-Plus.  Yeah, it sucked for awhile, but I'm glad I saved for what I wanted.  

cheaphumidors.com said:

What was the name of the customer service representative you spoke with? Send me a PM with your name and order number and I'll look into it for you.

Thank you for reaching out, albeit a little creepy even for the interwebs age that my random post warranted your response!  I bought my cabinet way back in January of '07, I don't see it listed on your website anymore, it was the "Connoisseur" cabinet.  At this point there's really nothing I would expect or want in terms of customer service on my existing cabinet, I purchased it sometime ago and that's all done.  At the time I was hoping that the saying "you get what you pay for" was not necessarily accurate, but realistically how much quality and precision should I expect from a mass produced cabinet that retails for 75% less than the higher end units from some of the other manufacturers mentioned in this topic?

Again, thanks for reaching out, hopefully this is some feedback you can use to help improve your products going forward.

MadMonk said:

Have you seen both, in the "flesh"? I'd also be interested in why you think the Humidification unit, or system, is possibly better?
I've been considering getting an end table to augment my Aristocrat Cabinet. Would like to keep the big unit at 69-70 or even as high as 72, add some fans, etc. Then, I'd like to keep a small unit at about 65.
I love the look of the Montague but no slide out shelves and non-familiarity make me less than comfy.

I have seen both in the flesh.

From a craftsmanship perspective the avallo is equal to the aristocrat when you look at it from an apples to apples perspective.  Wood work, quality of carpentry they are both relatively equal. 

The primary advantage with the Aristocrat is the vast selection of wood available to be used in different combinations and styles with the aristocrat.  But from a quality perspective they are on the same level. 

As far as humidification units, I don thave much time to type it up but there are a number of resources online indicating their penchant towards the accumonitor system given the choice.

Brickhouse said:

I do have an M-Plus Aristocrat and, like BBS, love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat if needed.  I know they are worth every penny and that the humidification works perfectly.  Additionally, and one of the main reasons I support Aristocrat Humidors, is the level of customer service you get in purchasing the piece.  Not only was I impressed with the level of customization and personalization....but every time I call Aristocrat Humidors, the man himself picks up the phone....every.....damn......time.

....this.  Besides best in class cabinetry and humidification, Staebell humidors come with Bob Staebell, one of if not the best guy in the business.  Bob is a great guy, easy to work with, easy to get on the phone.  Hard to put a price on that.

I'm sure Avallo products are nice, high quality cabinets.  But, they don't come with Bob..... :cool: