• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MLB Clubs Banning Beer in Clubhouses...

mrjinglesusa

CP Chemist
So because one MLB player over did it and subsequently decided to drive drunk, MLB clubhouses are now banning beer. ??? This, despite the fact that the home field Hancock played in is named after a beer maker. :sign:

Does this strike anyone else as bit hypocritical? These franchises sell beer to people for 3+ hours (with little to no concern of how this people are getting home) and yet they won't allow their players to enjoy a cold one after a game in the clubhouse? WTF?

162 games a year. 30 men on a roster + coaches and managers x 2 teams each game. Let's assume (for the sake of argument) that 20 people from each team have a beer or two after each game. That's about 6,480 instances (40 people x 162 games) where a ballplayer is drinking a beer after a game throughout the season, not counting playoffs and World Series. Out of these, ONE person over does it, drives drunk, and gets killed. That's 0.015%. That's in ONE season. While a tradegy, I don't think it warrants banning beer in clubhouses.

This knee-jerk reaction of some people to tradegy is getting ridiculous. What do they hope to accomplish by this? Do they not think that players won't simply drive somewhere after a game and drink there?

I hope this isn't overly "political" (I didn't think it was). If so, feel free to lock it up Rod.

I have to drive after work to get a beer, now they are just like me :p

Knee-Jerk reaction pretty much covers it. With all the negative publicity that baseball gets these days, the comissioner and team owners react without thinking on every incident. Pretty much shooting from the hip IMO.

Well its about time they did this, I mean these players are supposed to be the icon every little child looks up too.
I mean we had supreme court hearings for steroids too did we not?

Alright, it's all crap. Yeah this is a knee jerk rxn, way over the top, no they will not stop selling it to the fans.

Now for the real rant,

I was tired of seeing all the "redbird nation" out mourning for this guy and setting up flowers and signs and sh#t at the stadium for him. Yeah, BOO F#%&ing HOO. He drank. He drove. He died. He killed someone in the accident. Yeah he could not see the flashing lights on a tow truck that was stopped assisting another person. He is a criminal. Actions have consequences. May the family of the deceased man be blessed and may they take one pitcher's family to financial ruin.

Up until now I was not even aware that this was happening, with the exception of the playoffs and World Series. As for the banning it is B.S. punishing all of the players and teams for one guy. I believe it boils down to what happened at a company I used to work for before I started working there. The company was located at the end of a frontage road where obviously the only traffic was truck that were coming to our facility. Every Friday (payday) the first 1-2 drivers would go and pick up some cold ones for the other drivers (and the owner) so when they came in the good times could start flowing. One day one of the guys apparently had too much to drink, he was involved in a pretty bad accident where someone was permantely disabled. When the investigation was concluded the family's attorney got wind that they were drinking after work regularly and because of this the company could be held liable. Naturally they went after the company, cause the guy was flat broke. As the story goes for fear he would loose his ass in a lawsuit, the owner setteled out of court for an undisclosed amount of $$$. Of course right after this the drinking on or near company property was prohibited. Again a routine that had worked for so long and was a welcomed sight after a long week was over, all because of an irresponsible individual. It makes me feel like I did something wrong and now have to pay, the bottom line is MLB is thinking along the same lines as my ex-boss more about the $$$ ramifications and not so much about the family that was affected. Give me a F'n break, i'm done....

Good for MLB, it's about time the clubs thought about the well being of the employees (contractors). This is NOT an over-reaction. THis driving drunk crap has been going on in sports FOREVER and it's high time the clubs stopped facilitating and excusing behavior that would get the rest of us, jailed and fired.

Look to Philadelphia as the example I know. Hockey goalie Pele Lindbergh....dead by tree trunk poisoning helped along by Budweiser and a Porche. Len Dykstra and Darren Daulton, LUCKY, after the untimely meeting of budweiser, a fast car and another tree.

Anyone who knows will tell you that there is a lot of drinking going on in these clubhouses and the teams look the other way. What do they think, that these guys are all taking cabs home?

We coddle these athletes as though they are special and we protect them on every legal front. Hancock drank, drove and killed himself, and yet Cardinal-fan is heralding the loss of this great young man. Bullshit on that!!!!!!! Herald the loss of your pitcher, but call it what the hell it was. What would the reaction have been if he had lived but had run over a kid?

Baseball has a problem with this and has for 75 years. I see this as a good step.

Oh, and I have XZERO problem if they stop selling it to the fans too. They all drive home as well.

FWIW, there is a mostly related blog entry by one of Fox's radio talkers Steve Czaben that sums this up very nicely. I encourage you to read it

www.czabe.com

But it's ok that Bonds admitted to using steroids for the majority of his home runs on the way to break the all time record. BAH!

But it's ok that Bonds admitted to using steroids for the majority of his home runs on the way to break the all time record. BAH!
Not that I don't think he did anything (I do!), but when did you hear him admit it?