• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold or plume?

Bu11dog

Not sure even though I have seen both online and in person.
Should I just gently wipe it down and smoke tomorrow or toss?
ccb3b55393d7c1cb183bdc9d9915c45f.jpg

Mold, not sure about smoking though. Plume is not that prominent.

I've smoked a few moldy cigars over the years refusing to toss them. Even sticks with mold on the foot, I have simply cut away 1/2 an inch or so and enjoyed. I would definitely smoke that pronto, but that's my personal opinion.

Well it wiped right off and the other sticks in that box were all in cello. I think I'll just take my chances and smoke it, its from '09 and the last one I have. Hopefully it will be as good as the last few of them I had!
Thanks for the comments, summer months in Omaha are hard on cigars because the humidity is high all the time.

BlindedByScience said:
Plume.  No question..... :p

I agree with this fine gentlemen. That's plume, it just became afraid when you opened your humidor and it's currently performing a group hug making it look like Mold.

It was an excellent smoke, too bad it was the last one I had.
0d481a2a95b537ca29c25d63f8220eb3.jpg

Well just to be safe, I stopped at my usual shop, I've known this guy for year, and he said "it's just plume smoke it!"

Bu11dog said:
Well just to be safe, I stopped at my usual shop, I've known this guy for year, and he said "it's just plume smoke it!"
Not sure if this you are being serious, but what you posted above was mold. Imagine your cigar was a piece of bread; would you be arguing if this was flour or mold?

plume-mold.jpg

Breedy said:

Not sure if this you are being serious, but what you posted above was mold. Imagine your cigar was a piece of bread; would you be arguing if this was flour or mold?

plume-mold.jpg

A quite useful graphic...

.....good grief.  OK guys, one more time.  If you understand what bloom / plume / wtf ever is, you'll never have to ask again.  Cut and pasted from one of my previous comments on the subject.

Bloom or plume or WTF ever you want to call it is due to the oils in the cigar seeping through the wrapper and crystallizing on the wrapper.  It typically takes years for this process to occur and many cigars wont do this at all.  If I dug every cigar I have in my cabinet out and went through them all (including some ISOM's from the 60's) my guess is that I might, and I do repeat might, find a few that have plume.  Maybe.  Possibly.  It's really uncommon,which makes a cigar that has it rare and interesting.

Mold is 99 times out 100 three dimensional...plume is not.  Mold will usually wipe off with a moist cloth....plume will usually not but I have seen thin layers of crystallized oils that were affected by wiping.  Mold shows up in (usually) hairy little spots...plume show up as a hard to see sheen, a thin film on the wrapper.

In the years that I've been smoking, each and every time someone posts pics and says "...is this mold or plume..." it has been without a doubt mold.  Every time.  If you find spots on your cigars and are asking yourself "...gee, is this mold or plume..." let me help you out: It's mold.  I have yet to walk into a B&M and find cigars with plume on them, but I sure have seen some furry boxes of moldy cigars that the owner then proudly said were "nicely aged and covered with plume" and I walked right out, never to return, every time.  

This is all pretty cut and dry.  What to do about them is probably more open to opinion.

Wikipedia tells us that:

Molds....are fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae.[1] Molds are considered to be microbes but microscopic fungi that grow as single cells are called yeasts. A connected network of these tubular branching hyphae has multiple, genetically identical nuclei and is considered a single organism, referred to as a colony.

The important wording in there is that mold typically grows in multicellular filaments.  Mold may show up as a spot here or there, but the chances are quite good that even when dealing with surface spots, the growth has penetrated the wrapper and is well into the cigar.  Tobacco is easily penetrated by these types of fungal infections.  If you see mold on the foot of the cigar, you're done.  Period.  The very core of the cigar has been permeated and you're pretty much screwed.  Yes, you can sometimes wipe surface spots off with a damp rag (I've used distilled water in past efforts) but you have to ask yourself what's inside the cigar that you can't see.  A tiny spot is one thing; a wrapper that has hairy blotches all over it is probably toast.  It's a matter of degree but usually I don't bother.  I have tried to "repair" a cigar with mold spots on it in the past and the result is like smoking a well used pair of gym socks.  Eeeccch....no thank you.

Now, this whole business of dilute bleach wiping a cigar.  Chlorine has highest electron affinity and the third highest electronegativity of all the elements, which is a hoity toity way to say it's one hell of a powerful oxidizer and has a particular affinity for organic materials.  That's why it's such a great disinfectant.  Now, sure, a capful of bleach in a gallon of water is probably drinkable.  Most literature that I could find on storing water recommended two to three drops per liter, so a capful per gallon might be a little strong but is in the ballpark..  But there are a couple of things to consider here.  Most bleach is formulated for laundry use, and as such, often times has more in it than Chlorine in it.  This will vary from product to product but it's worth noting.  But, if you put bleach in water I can promise you that you'll be able to taste it.  Yes, Chlorine is very volatile  and will out gas quickly, but what did it do to the fragile tobacco leaves until it did?  I mean, if it's powerful enough to kill the surface mold on contact, wouldn't you think it would also be powerful to at least change the wrapper somewhat?  You know, the part of the cigar that is the majority of the taste of the cigar?  No thank you.

My $00.02 is that if you really want to wipe your cigar wrapper, a little distilled water should do the trick.  Then, promptly smoke the darn thing.  Even if you clean it up on the outside, you have no way to know how deeply impinged the mold is into the body of the cigar.  I'm as cheap as the next guy, but when it comes to cigars with any amount of mold at all, they get pitched.  Period.

Here's a nicely aged box of Tatuaje Cohetes with a lovely dusting of plume:

gallery_1565_604_67973.jpg

BBS thanks for the information. I will stick to reading and not posting from now on.

No worries, but the info on this subject is out there and has been discussed "a few" times.  If you understand what plume is and what mold is, telling them apart is simple.  Furry blotches aren't plume.....

BBS, I think I still need another lesson. Can you send me a few boxes of moldy cigars and a few covered in plume so I can smoke them and see the difference? ;)

MNBrian said:
BBS, I think I still need another lesson. Can you send me a few boxes of moldy cigars and a few covered in plume so I can smoke them and see the difference? ;)

....nice try.

Was going through my humdior and found one pack of monties and found some white stuff temp hasn't been over 75 and rh hadn't been over 66 here's the before and after wipe down

Attachments

• 20200701_095539.jpg
    20200701_095539.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200701_095436.jpg
    20200701_095436.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200701_095243.jpg
    20200701_095243.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 40