• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Monthly Cigar Subscription Boxes

Bradleyscott

Podcast Producer
Has anyone ever signed up for a monthly subscription box for Cigars? Any of them that are actually worth it or are they mostly just random junk?

I was thinking it might be a nice way to enjoy some new smokes. I know I get into the habit of just enjoying the same smokes I like. Rotating some in and out while adding a new smoke from time to time, but if I'm getting mainly junk and throw-ins, then I would prefer to skip the subscription.

For those who use the services, what do you like about them, what do you wish they would do that they don't? Is the price point good or do you wish there was a premium option (or does one exist already)?

I imagine if you are just getting into cigars it might be a way to sample some to get a feel for what you like. I myself would not do it.

Personal opinion here because I've never done any of the cigar versions of these, but I have done others. While once in a while you do tend to get a gem, most of it is just stuff you'd never buy yourself... why not spend that money on what you know you like instead of wasting it on sticks that just become trade fodder? It's always fun to try something new, but with all of the online retailers and B&Ms that you can buy singles from... I don't see a point to risk getting something you're completely uninterested in, but again, that's just my two cents...

-Mike

I've been a cigar smoker since 96. I've developed a taste for several Cigars over the years. Some that are still around, some that I can't find anymore, but I realized recently that I have gotten into a Cigar rut. I love the ones I smoke, but I used to enjoy trying new sticks. With that stated, I started thinking that might be a nice easy way to do so where I don't have to go and search for new sticks.

Typically when I go to my favorite Cocktail Lounge to smoke, I know the selection inside and out and they do get some new ones in from time to time, but it isn't on a regular basis. I visit a lot of breweries and enjoy the fact that they often have new beers to try all the time, but it isn't as frequent with the cigars where I would probably be more up for an impulse buy.

I would suggest hang around here more often instead. You can get your feet wet with the newbie sampler trade to try some new stuff and then get involved with the PIF's that are going around. It's a good way to try something different.

I smoked Fuente almost exclusively (with the exception of a Padron or LFD) for probably the past 6 or 7 years. I made a New Year's resolution to try a new stick a week. I've found nice ones and some duds. I still smoke a lot of Fuente, but I've enjoyed switching it up.

I wouldn't like the idea of getting a box. Maybe you can find a well stock B&M, or try ordering singles.

I would suggest hang around here more often instead. You can get your feet wet with the newbie sampler trade to try some new stuff and then get involved with the PIF's that are going around. It's a good way to try something different.
See I looked past the newbie sampler trade as I haven't considered myself a newbie since maybe 2001 when I started venturing out of the light Cigars and started tackling a wide variety of Cigars. Of course, it was only 5 years ago that I started to document my smokes more, which by then the rut had already started where I smoked what I liked more often than venturing out into something new.

I definitely do need to hang around here more often. I think the last time I was on the forum was when I was on my way to the Bahamas in 2009 seeking advice on smokes to try out of the country.

I smoked Fuente almost exclusively (with the exception of a Padron or LFD) for probably the past 6 or 7 years. I made a New Year's resolution to try a new stick a week. I've found nice ones and some duds. I still smoke a lot of Fuente, but I've enjoyed switching it up.

Every time I'm in Vegas, about once a year, I make it a point to head to Casa Fuente to pick up an exclusive or two and to grab others for the rest of the week. It's also where I got my Xikar XO. I hadn't seen that cutter out until last year's trip.

Xikar XO.jpg

See I looked past the newbie sampler trade as I haven't considered myself a newbie since maybe 2001 when I started venturing out of the light Cigars and started tackling a wide variety of Cigars. Of course, it was only 5 years ago that I started to document my smokes more, which by then the rut had already started where I smoked what I liked more often than venturing out into something new.

I don't think they would turn you away if you used that trade to get a sampling of stuff you haven't had before.

If it's anything like the Beer of the Month club (got this from my staff), I wouldn't do it.

I'd rather build a relationship with a shop or vendor and ask them for a monthly 5er of something new that they can put together based off your tastes and previous purchases.

This is a GREAT idea...

Another option - if you enjoy listening to cigar podcasts, the Cigar Authority does a monthly sample pack of all of the cigars they plan on smoking that month. It gives you the chance to smoke along.

I'd rather build a relationship with a shop or vendor and ask them for a monthly 5er of something new that they can put together based off your tastes and previous purchases.
I agree. Assuming one has some good B&M's local to them and one hasn't already smoked everything they stock, I'm not sure why it needs to be more complicated than going in once a week and buying something new. It ain't rocket surgery.

Another option - if you enjoy listening to cigar podcasts, the Cigar Authority does a monthly sample pack of all of the cigars they plan on smoking that month. It gives you the chance to smoke along.

Love the podcast idea. It's what I do, so I should think to check there first.

If it is something site or shop based I'd try it. Smallbatch does good samplers, and I did Cigar Federation's Cigar of the Month club for a while and actually discovered a few good smokes I hadn't tried. The nice thing with CF is it's very easy to cancel whenever you want via your account info.

There is a cigar version of the "monthly box of stuff for men and women" variety based here in town, but from what I've seen it looks like the smokes they include are closeouts they get cheap and sell for a lot more....but they come in a very hipster looking box!

I am really sorry to bump an old thread, but I did not want to make a new one when there was an older thread present on this. Does anyone have any new views or experiences on cigar of the month sites? The cigar federation that @MadMonk suggested seemed like a good one but wanted ya'lls input. Again, very sorry for bumping an old thread, and I will take my lashings ?