• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Music system by the pool?

JackImpact

My Mom is interested in having some sort of stereo or other device to play music by the pool. We have an old radio system that has built in speakers in the house, but its got a cassette player and is very out dated. She is interested in something that can either play Mp3 cds or that her ipod can hook up too.

Anyone have something like that? I was thinking we could mount speakers to the under side of the cabinets at the bar by the pool. Then keep the stereo or Ipod docking system in the cabinet to keep it out of the weather.

Need help! Thanks!

Get yourself a portable Bose system w/Ipod cradle...works great.

All you would need is an inexpensive stereo receiver with an iPod docking station. Then get a pair of outdoor speakers and install them.

I am running a Yamaha stereo receiver and Sonance Mariner speakers as my backyard setup. I have it hooked up so I can either listen to my Sirius Satellite Radio, the TV, or an iPod.

I have seen some hot tubs come with a built in water resietant deck. They might be marketed as marine stereos, suitable for use on a boat.

There are many options, it really depends on your budget and whether you want volume or quality (or both) out of it.

If you mount speakers under the cabinets, won't that muffle the sound?

The portable Bose iPod system is very good, but as far as I know it isn't weather proof so make sure you bring it inside when you are done for the day.

Get one of
BOOMSHARP.jpg
and some mix tapes Mom should be good to go!

The cabinets are the upper ones, so on the under side of those, above the sinks.

The cabinets are the upper ones, so on the under side of those, above the sinks.

The location that you would be mounting the speakers, would they be facing the pool or back towards the house? If they are facing back towards the house (and not the pool) you will have a hard time getting good sound out to the pool.

Maybe you could post up a couple pics of where you will be mounting the speakers and placing the main amp, also a pic that shows the bar area in relation to the pool.. That would help with ideas also, as there are thousands of options, but if they won't work in your location then they are worthless.

Here we go.

DSC05042.jpg

facing towards the bar
DSC05043.jpg

bar is on the left, this is towards the house
DSC05044.jpg

this is facing out from the bar
DSC05045.jpg

this is the bar
DSC05046.jpg

bar is on the right

I have the same kind of setup. I mounted a set of Jamo's I/O 8A2 Outdoor Speaker's. I ran the wires from my system
in the walls. It has been awesome, great sound for a outdoor speaker.

Looking at the pics, if you mount the speakers under the cabinets you will have some issues. Keep in mind this is just simply by looking at pictures....

1 - It looks like you have some florescent lights under the cabinets, those are going to produce a LOT of noise on the speaker wires, and will bleed through to the speakers. You will have a humming sound coming from the speakers when the lights are on.

2 - Mounting where you are talking about will make make hearing music on the opposite side of the pool very difficult. You can always mount one speaker on the corner of the house and point it towards the other side of the pool. The other speaker could be mounted to the side of the cabinet, between the cabinet and the door.

You would probably need to run schedule 40 PVC to house the wire for the speaker that would be mounted on the corner of the house. Then just paint it the same color as the house. For the speaker between the cabinet and the house, you can probably get away with mounting it on the side of the cabinet as high as possible (I personally would mount it on the house itself, being further away from the fluorescent lights). Again a small piece of schedule 40 PVC to get the wire to the cabinet.

Are you looking at installing the amp in the upper or lower cabinet?

ETA - If the house is a single story, you can always try to run the speaker wires in the attic, but that can be a PIA with the fact that the walls have insulation in them.

Once you have your system set up, you can give this guy a call to give you live performances every Saturday poolside

stevieb.jpg

He's a fellow BOTL and a member here on CP. Send him a PM

I use a wireless music bridge to send my music from my pc to a receiver that is connected to outdoor speakers under the eaves of the house. I use an Ipod Touch with the remote app to control itunes and have access to all my music from outside.

I use a wireless music bridge to send my music from my pc to a receiver that is connected to outdoor speakers under the eaves of the house. I use an Ipod Touch with the remote app to control itunes and have access to all my music from outside.

I do this with my bose speakers in my room. Its the best thing ever.

Seems limited on space. I would either go with a portable Bose iPod unit or run wireless speakers and control from inside. The Bose option will be much easier to set up and most likely more cost effective at $300.

There are Bose factory stores in the outlet malls which may save a few more dollars...and it's fun just to play in there.

Once you have your system set up, you can give this guy a call to give you live performances every Saturday poolside

stevieb.jpg

He's a fellow BOTL and a member here on CP. Send him a PM

That would be awesome! Wonder if he can do QuadState this year too?

Hire a professional!

If that's not an option, ask about it on a cigar board.

Oh wait.

???

....btw...ask your mom what she wants.
A small portable unit (think Bose) or a set control station with wired and/or wirelss speakers.

You can also get some 'rock' speakers and put them around the patio area.