• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My coolidor experience

RyJ Smoker

Official Opus & Padron whore
Alright, here's exactly what I did and my humidity hasn't changed from 70% since I finalized everything on Sunday night.

I picked this up last Saturday: http://www.target.com/IGLOO-Maxcold-70-qt-Roller-Cooler/dp/B000F6UJ5K

I also picked this up: http://xikar.com/popup_pix.asp?back=blue&image_name=product/809.jpg&item=XIKAR%20Crystal%20Humidifier%20Jar

and this: http://xikar.com/popup_pix.asp?back=blue&image_name=product/813.jpg&item=XIKAR%20Digital%20Hydrometer

I did the whole 'salt-test' and left my hygrometer in the bag for a good 8 hours. After that, I took it out, hit the calibrate button (putting it to 75%), then put it in the coolidor with the Xikar humidifier jar. I had a couple boxes arrive in the mail yesterday, so last night I went down to my basement to put them in the coolidor and it was spot-on 70% humidity.

Turns out, I'd been overthinking this whole process and thought it'd be a lot more work than it actually was. Thanks to a good friend and BOTL, I've got it all set up right and still can't believe I didn't do this months ago. Total investment is as follows:

Cooler - $45 @ Menards
Hygrometer - $25 @ local B&M
Humidifier Jar - $5 @ local B&M

Total: $75.00

I can post pix when I get home, if needed.

Jeffrey L.

Coolidors offer so much space and are so easy to maintain, they simply can't be beat. Another thing to think about would be to get a few more boxes stuck in there that to add some more spanish cedar. It's cheaper than trying to line it with spanish cedar and gives you a way to organize things when you throw in some more singles. Good luck with the cooler and happy smoking!

That's almost EXACTLY what a friend of mine told me earlier today! I'll be adding some empty boxes to it once I get home tonight.

Jeffrey L.

If the boxes are dry and haven't come from a humid environment you may want to add them one at a time so you don't have them sucking up all the moisture. As you add them watch your humidity as well, expect a dip, and you will probably have to add more water to keep it up, but in a couple days it should stabilize. Good luck!

I'm on my 3rd coolidor :love: . They are so stupid proof, it's funny.... :laugh:

Just curious. Why didn't you go with the beads from heartfelt?

Just curious. Why didn't you go with the beads from heartfelt?
Pure convenience. I had boxes coming on Saturday and Monday and needed to get this up and running right away. If they would have sold those at my B&M, I would have bought them. I run 65% heartfelt beads in my humi and love them, but I needed something right away and couldn't wait for them to be shipped.

Jeffrey L.

Cooler and 65% heartfelt beads and you're ready to go. I'm fighting the urge to start a 2nd cooler. I've been eyeing one of those cabinet humidors but I guess I'd rather spend the money on cigars. I keep mine in the basement and this time of year it stays dead on at 65%. In the summer even with almost all the beads white it tends to creep up to 70% or a little higher. That's a little too high for my liking. Then I'll open it up for a few hours and run the dehumidifier and that brings it back down. Anything over 70% and you're asking for a mold problem plus the cigars smoke and taste like crap.

Cooler and 65% heartfelt beads and you're ready to go. I'm fighting the urge to start a 2nd cooler. I've been eyeing one of those cabinet humidors but I guess I'd rather spend the money on cigars. I keep mine in the basement and this time of year it stays dead on at 65%. In the summer even with almost all the beads white it tends to creep up to 70% or a little higher. That's a little too high for my liking. Then I'll open it up for a few hours and run the dehumidifier and that brings it back down. Anything over 70% and you're asking for a mold problem plus the cigars smoke and taste like crap.

Is it a finished basement? My basement stays pretty dry in the winter at about 40-45% and then gets higher in the summer, but I run a dehumidifier to keep it in the 45-50% range. I have a dehumidifer that is hard-lined and I don't have to empty it out ever. Just like your cigars can start getting moldy above 70% humidity, you run the risk of developing mold in your house if it is consistently over 70% humidity. If isn't finished then I guess it isn't as much of a problem just something to keep an eye on.

It's an unfinished basement and it's only over about 1/3 of the house. The rest of it is a garage. I have a dehumidifier down there but I usually only let it run at night. The electric rates are cheaper at night and since it's unfinished I don't get too concerned if the humidity jumps a little during the day. I don't really know why the humidty jumps in the cooler. I can only guess that it doesn't seal tightly which is a good thing I guess. You don't really want an airtight seal, but in the summer it lets extra humidity in. When it gets up to 70% then I'll let the dehumidifier runn for 4-5hrs and leave the cooler open and that brings it back down. I've never had a mold problem in cigars or the house and as long as I keep an eye on it it doesn't present too much of a problem. The wife doesn't like the cooler full of cigars in the family room for some strange reason. Go figure! Maybe the cabinet humidor wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.