• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help from coin experts

Johnny-O!

Yes, I know it's the wrong thread but here goes. I found a coin (actually my son found it) that I did not know it was that old that I have among my collection. Trying to determine where it is from, it is penny size, any ideas? My guess it is European maybe Denmark. Thanks all, John 20180312_204110.jpg

Attachments

• 20180312_204019.jpg
    20180312_204019.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 17
That is the same coin, right, in both pics?

Face side looks like a lot of escudo coins from Spain, but the back looks like the maravedis like Scap linked to. Except pictures of those I see have letters on the face side under the guys chin and a castle or something but the back of his head.

Is the date 1785?

https://www.numismaticamramos.com/A...4-maravedis-1785-segovia~IDArticulo~6411.html

I don't know anything about coins, but it appears to be the same as in this link.

Is it me or does the coin you linked have the markings indented versus John's coin where they look raised? Or is that an optical illusion due to the patina?

The one in the link has more detail, yet they're both dated the same year. Could it be a counterfeit from back in the day? Cool stuff....

Differences in the appearance could be due to the fact that coins of this era were most likely hand minted. The proofs were hand carved and struck using a big guy with a big hammer. Variations may not be uncommon. I would also say the match is close enough to warrant a trip to a coin shop.

Carlos had a large and distinguished proboscis.

Obverse, reverse, when speaking of coins, please. BTW, I know nothing of world coins. U.S. coins, I could be of some help.

Doc