• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some advice on flat TV's....

DaveWF

Official CP Entertainment
A friend of mine was asking for some advice on flat TV's and I was at a loss for information, but figured SOMEBODY here has to know about these things....

She wants to potentially mount a flat TV (no idea what kind yet - just kicking around the idea) on the brick wall above her fireplace. Being that it's not fireplace season right now (and the fact that she's never checked this before), she does not know how hot the wall directly above the fireplace gets.
Has anyone ever tried this before? Does anyone know how hot it gets within a couple inches of the wall above the fireplace?

Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave ;)

Haven't actually done this, and here's why....

Buddy and I thought about doing it, first at his place, then mine. A couple of things to think about:

The viewing angle above a fireplace is usually bad. For us, bottom of the set would have been 5.5 feet above the ground, really ppor for sitting down and watching. Also requires a pretty high end set with awesome contrast ratio (=$$$$$).

Also wiring around a masonry fireplace is porblematic. In our cases, it couldn't be done in wall, out of sight.

Sounds like a great idea at first........kinda like tobaccochino.... :p

I've done some part time install work in the AV field. While it is possible to mount the screen above the fireplace a few considerations have to be made. First is that it will be impossible to watch if there is a fire in the fireplace. Your eyes will always be attracted to real life movement before movement on the screen. Secondly, wiring is difficult and if you plan to have a dual use set (one that can be played with or without a home theater set up) there will be a lot of wires. Heat shouldn't be a problem as the mantel provides deflection. However, if you have an insert in the fireplace and use it for a primary or secondary heat source the bricks themselves will get pretty hot from the inside out. This will shorten the life of you unit as there will only be 2" or so between the back of the unit and the bricks.

If it was up to me I'd have the screen at 90 degrees or more from the fireplace.

Plasma/LCD flat screens are highly overrated IMHO. DLP is the way to go.

I am of course a little biased since my wife is a DLP engineer for Texas Instruments ;-)

A Brick fireplace at least will be able to support the TV. People get the flat screens home and don't realize how heavy they are and have trouble wall mounting them. The Phillips commercial where they just plop the plasma units on the wall/ceiling crack me up.

So what exactly is the viewing angle (from top to bottom) on some of these TV's? I didn't take any measurments, but I can't imagine it would be mounted with the bottom more then 4 - 5 feet off the ground. She doesn't have fire's in there all the time, so the visuals of the flames shouldn't be a big deal. It's just the best wall for a TV, and there happens to be a fireplace there now.

I'm so confused. I've already passed on what I learned here - she still seems pretty interested in the idea though....

I'll let you guys know if anything comes of this.
Thanks for all the advice!
Dave ;)

Dave

Just had a 42" Pioneer mounted over my fireplace with no problem at all. Biggest concern is the mounting bracket that you need to use and securing it to the wall (you know they only bounce once!)

If it is the heat you are concerned with the mantle should offer some protection my fireplace is actually gas vent, but the seperation is about 2' from the top of the fireplace to the bottom of the TV with the mantle seperating the two or about 5 1/2 from the floor to the bottom of the TV. So we actually sit in the sofa 4-5' away from the fireplace looking up at the TV.

Keep in mind I have all my wiring smurfed behind the wall and running to all the necessary boxes in a cabinet.

Anyway you mount it weekend football has a whole new meaning with a big screen ;)

BenjieV :D

DaveWF said:
She wants to potentially mount a flat TV (no idea what kind yet - just kicking around the idea) on the brick wall above her fireplace. Being that it's not fireplace season right now (and the fact that she's never checked this before), she does not know how hot the wall directly above the fireplace gets.
Has anyone ever tried this before? Does anyone know how hot it gets within a couple inches of the wall above the fireplace?
Bad idea man. You do not want to put something like a flatscreen TV over a fireplace that you'll be burning logs in.

Yes, it is possible to do it -- but it depends on how insulated the fireplace is from the wall you're mounting the TV on -- and that much heat just can't be good for the electronics in there. It'll certainly shorten the life of the set if it isn't well insulated.

benjiev said:
Keep in mind I have all my wiring smurfed behind the wall and running to all the necessary boxes in a cabinet.
How do you "smurf" wiring? :p

I'm hoping to get a big screen this week... 53" Panasonic Rear Projection. I can't afford an LCD/Plasma :(

Had a good week picking football games this weekend and am currently trying to double it up tonight....

Wish me luck fellas :thumbs:

Don't forget to have the transformer/powerconverter. Power coming into the house is pretty "dirty" and a high end set should be fed "clean" energy. These take up space as does the Tivo,Sattelite descrambler, HD receiver, Xbox, DVD, and other toys.

Spent time yesterday in Ultimate electronics starting my research too. Txmatt has it right I like the DLP (I can't see the rainbows with the second generation chip) and I like the Mitsubishi diamond screen (anti-glare) They thought I was ready to spend $5500 for the system. I'm just doing research right now.

"Sounds like a great idea at first........kinda like tobaccochino.... :p "
Or tomaccoes
mmmm...tomaccoes

I believe hes talkin about smurf tubing (what we call it in the electrical trade). Its blue flexiable pvp conduit. I could be wrong on what hes talkin about tho.

txmatt said:
Plasma/LCD flat screens are highly overrated IMHO. DLP is the way to go.

I am of course a little biased since my wife is a DLP engineer for Texas Instruments ;-)

A Brick fireplace at least will be able to support the TV. People get the flat screens home and don't realize how heavy they are and have trouble wall mounting them. The Phillips commercial where they just plop the plasma units on the wall/ceiling crack me up.
DLP is an awesome picture. Manufacturers do not recommend mounting a flat panel above the fireplace due to heat issues. Do yourself a favor and put your hand on top of a plasma while it's on. Very warm already. Of course if the fireplace is mostly for decoration and won't be used much, then the heat will dissipate quicker. Do not block any of the vents, though. Big trouble will happen. I still think plasma has the best picture, although the DLP and Hitachi's newest LCD projection sets are pretty damn good.