• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need to Rant

lherzolite

Our dishwasher went on the fritz today which in and of itself is annoying, but its seven years old and sh$t happens.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the circuit board for the control panel is messed up in some way - $120-$200 for the new circuit board depending on whether I buy it from Sears (the dishwasher is a Kenmore), or from someone else.

Then I noticed that the heater element has a huge 3" crack/split in it, so I start trying to hunt down a new element: "We're sorry. This part is no longer available. No alternate or substitute part has been recommended by the manufacturer."

Fine. POS dishwasher.

I start looking into new dishwashers. I go to consumer reports to see what they recommend. Basically about 95% of the reviewed dishwashers are no longer available.

Fine. I start shopping/comparing new dishwashers from various stores. With very few exceptions most of the new dishwashers out there have some new fangled system - Turbo Wash, Smart Wash, etc... Maybe if a manufacturer stuck with a design and made it better over time... Ahh, forget it, who the hell am I kidding.

What really pisses me off, is that you can substitute any major appliance into the above. I guess its just the way it is these days.

You can get a good dish drainer for about $20.

Dpc/

....dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, vacuum cleaners, most major appliances....are in the "use them till they break then throw them away" catagory.

It's really sad; I'm pretty capable and can fix most anything, but if (1) the parts aren't available, and (2) the damn thing really isn't meant to be taken apart anyway, there's little you can do.

Condolences, bro....B.B.S.

I remember when my mom bought our first dishwasher....it was the Monday after my sister left the house!

???

I never used a dishwasher until about 15 or so years ago. I really like having one. If your last one lasted you 7 years, and cost about 500, that might be something like 45 cents a use, if you used it 3 times a week. Damn cheap.

did you give Amazon and Ebay a shot when looking for parts. Ive had great success finding hard to find junk like that on both sites.

99% of the appliances out there are not made to last unfortunately. Most are made with plastic parts that break within a few years. Why make an appliance that lasts when the latest and greatest is coming out next year? Want to make sure you keep buying you know.

Might be able to snag a good deal on Black Friday. Keep an eye out for % off coupons that will apply to appliances.

From experience, friends and store employees, look at a Bosch. Probably set you back about $600, but is about as good as they come. The rest do dishes or course, but Bosch has a great reputation, Available on line and at Lowes and HD with about 10% off. With Black Friday coming, you might even get luckier.

Wishing you the best on your next fine.

Can also tell you they are almost super quiet if that means anything to you.

Huh, our dishwasher is going on 12 years old and nary a problem. It wasn't even that expensive and it's not fancy at all.

I think the bigger problem is the lack of simplicity in newer devices. They're so loaded up with tech that there's no way they could last.

((I need to go lay down. It took me almost 5 minutes to type this with all the typos. Thnsk you Col. Blanton :thumbs:)

I think the bigger problem is the lack of simplicity in newer devices. They're so loaded up with tech that there's no way they could last.

That and they don't want them to last. If they did then you wouldn't have to buy a new one and the company wouldn't make as much money.

I remember when my mom bought our first dishwasher....it was the Monday after my sister left the house!

???

Sound's like about the same time my Dad bought his first riding lawn mower; when my brother and I went to college. :0

I've got a 16 yo Kenmore fridge that I wish would die 'cause I don't like it but I really don't want to pay $2+K for a new one and a GE Profile dishwasher (the wife likes how it looks) going on 10 yo that replaced the original Kitchen-Aid in the house which had to be 25+ years old. Be sure to get the stainless steel interior so you don't have to worry about chipping or rust.

???

Sound's like about the same time my Dad bought his first riding lawn mower; when my brother and I went to college. :0

For me, it was mom and dad Taking out the woodstove and getting a furnance installed after I left for college.

We had the same problem with our dishwasher,our old one was in the house when we moved in and was about 20 years old before it kicked the bucket.
We purchased a new one which broke down not long after the warranty ran out,then broke 2 more times before we gave up on the POS.
Now i have a new one called Sue, and she's a ripper.LOL :laugh: