• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New favorite cutter....just maybe

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
Staff member
I had a cheap v-cutter that I experimented with and when it worked properly, I really liked the results. I really like my Xikar punch, but for the bigger ring sticks, I wanted to open them up a bit more. I finally got around to ordering a Xikar VX V-Cut in Gunmetal. I'm seriously impressed; it works easily and pretty much flawlessly. Like everything from Xikar, it's very well made and feels like it'll last a lifetime or more. Here's what the cut looks like on a RyJ Wide Churchill:

V_cut.JPG

As much as i like it, it won't do it all. Last night I v-cut a 10 YO Anejo. While it drew perfectly, by the halfway point, I started to taste some tar build up. Very common in older Anejo's. My Xikar cutter cleanly chopped the end off, problem solved. So, it's not the only tool you need, but it's a dandy.

So, for what it's worth, this is a great tool and worth having in your cigar tool arsenal. I got mine from Amazon (free shipping with Prime) but they are a common tool and available from many sources.

For the record, the tools I keep in my cigar box are:

- This tool, the Xikar VX cuttter
- Xikar XI3 Cutter
- Xikar 009 'Pull Out' Punch
- Palio burlwood cutter
- Victorinox Cigar Knife (with the punch set, not the scissors).
- Blazer torch lighter.

I figure if I can't get it done with that in the armory, the cigar hits the trash can.....

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

My speculation has always been that "V" cutters fell out of favor due to the tar buildup. Especially as cigars got wider, and the old tooling was still based on coronas.
Nice to see some modern, more encompassing, versions hitting the scene. We used to do a "X" cut using the "V" cutter. Cut, rotate 90*, cut again. Helped with the tar.

Just v-cut a party short to go with the last of the French Press of the AM. Perfect.

Yeah, I like this cutter quite a lot.....:cool:

I'd agree with you. I've had mine for about 5-6 months now and I have no complaints. I beat the hell out of it and there isn't a scratch and the blade is still perfect although a bit difficult to clean. For whatever reason it is really easy to make a perpendicular and even cut, something I've not experienced with other v-cutters.

I have a cheaper v-cutter I've been getting back into lately. I may pick up the Xikar cutter as my several-year-old Xi is still as good as the day it came in the mail -- they make good stuff.

OK, so I have them both now, the Colibri and the Xikar. The Colibri is 'hefty', the Xikar not as heavy, if weight matter to you. They are both exceptionally well made. I don't think the Xikar is flimsy, quite the contrary. The Colibri takes one heck of a wedge out of the end of the cigar, where the Xikar takes a much smaller 'bite'. Honestly, I think they are both worthy and both have a place. I find myself using the Xikar with most of my CC's, the Colibri with NC's that are bigger ring and benefit from a bigger cut. If I had to pick one.....well, the jury is still out on that one. Both are quality cutters, both have pluses. I think having both is kinda neat....:cool:

Last edited:
I currently own neither, so this opinion may or may not matter. I like a little bit of heft which makes me believe I'd favor grabbing for the Colibri on the more regular basis, but what interests me about the Xikar, simple as it may be, is the cutout on the back of it to rest your cigar in. I don't have an actual cigar ashtray outside (I use an old ceramic planter to drop ash and discard) and I usually hold the cigar the entire time, anyway. But, for the few times I do have to put it down for some reason, that would really come in handy. Palio has their own take on the "cigar rest" on their guillotine, too, no?

Yeah, Palios have a small recess on them where you could balance your cigar. Rarely do I ever remember to actually use that feature, but it's there.

I like solid, not something hefty that weighs my jacket down on one side. As silly as it seems, I use the "cigar rest" part all of the time. Not a lot of places have cigar ashtrays and I'm generally active when I smoke so I can lay it anywhere without laying it on the edge of something which has been the death of many cigars.

Thought I'd get back after living with both for a while, and give you my thoughts. Got to say, I think I like the Xikar better.

Make no mistake, the Colibri is beefy, solid, and well made. But, so is the Xikar. Both are quality tools that should last a lifetime with a little cleaning now and then. No winner based on quality, they are both well made tools.

The difference is the size of the cut. The Colibri takes quite a wedge out of the end of the cigar, much deeper than the Xikar. For CC's, it's almost too deep for my preferences. The Xikar cuts a much shallower wedge. I've used the Xikar on CC's, a couple Padron Exclusivo smokes, and a couple other NC sticks. Both round and box pressed. Very consistent, very easy to use, really nice way to open up a cigar. I had one NC where I cut it with the Colibri and the cut was so deep it completely severed the end cap, and it came apart while I was smoking it. May have been that cigar, but the point is, the Colibri really cuts a divot out of the end of your stick.

Neither is a loser, but for me, if I only had one, it'd be the Xikar.

As they say, one man's opinion......:cool:

Good read. I've never owned a V-cutter and can't remember ever having smoked a cigar with a v-cut.

I've been using the exact same Palio for 11 years now. Granted, it need sharpened or replaced. But I'm having a hard time switching cutters when this one has knocked it out of the park for 11 years.

Oh, and I use the cigar rest feature often.

Wyatt, I use the Xikar v-cutter pretty much exclusively these days. Torps are the exception, of course. The Xikar or Palio double blade make quick work of them, as always. I think you'd like the Xikar, it's a neat addition to your toolbox.

I really like the Colibri (thanks, again, George!) for +/- 60 ring sticks. For anything smaller I use the Xikar Xi and snip the entire thing. I've found that the deep wedge of the Colibri has spoiled me with v-cuts and my smaller, cheaper v-cutter doesn't leave the draw as open as I'd like... or it could just be me.

I have a Colibri and because of the deep cut, I don't use it as much as I would like to. Thanks for the review and letting us know about the difference between the two. I might end up purchasing the Xikar at some point.

I really like the Colibri (thanks, again, George!) for +/- 60 ring sticks. For anything smaller I use the Xikar Xi and snip the entire thing. I've found that the deep wedge of the Colibri has spoiled me with v-cuts and my smaller, cheaper v-cutter doesn't leave the draw as open as I'd like... or it could just be me.

Aha - I rarely (if ever) smoke 60rg sticks. For a smaller CC, I've had the Colibri completely sever the triple cap, and had it fall apart in mid smoke. Not so with the Xikar.

No doubt they are both quality tools, and if you smoke larger ring sticks regularly, I could see where the Colibri may be the 'go to' tool. Since I don't, it isn't.....:D

To each his own here; it's a matter of personal preference, nothing more.

Aha - I rarely (if ever) smoke 60rg sticks. For a smaller CC, I've had the Colibri completely sever the triple cap, and had it fall apart in mid smoke. .

I completely agree with this assessment and it's why I straight cut the smaller cigars. I've lost a few caps as well. But I still love that deep v-cut.

IMG_3321.JPG
I prefer a bit shallower V cut, I use this table top cutter at home and it has a small side slot so it works great on the narrower ring gauges.