• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New humidor

dirtyd21

So i just got my new humidor and the directions they gave me for seasoning say to not wipe it down cause it could cause warping. And that concerned me because it seems like every where i look on the forum it says to wipe it down. And i know that when you do you are supposed to not use a lot of water. But the interior wood is Spanish cedar like most. So if you guys could give your opinion that would be great!

Thanks

-Dan

Good advice. Don't wipe it down I just got an Aristocrat and allowed the humidity to come up to 65% using only the humidifier. It took a few days but it worked just fine.

Dirty, check out out Boveda. That make a pack just for seasoning humi's Depending on the size, you could need several, but that's the proper way to do it.

Dirty, check out out Boveda. That make a pack just for seasoning humi's Depending on the size, you could need several, but that's the proper way to do it.

X2 on the Boveda. They are foolproof in my book. Saved me from fighting a bad humi unit that came with mine.

X2 on the Boveda. They are foolproof in my book. Saved me from fighting a bad humi unit that came with mine.

Water works, either in a cup/bowl or a sponge on a plate. Overshoot the desired RH for a while and then bring it down to desired RH with beads.

Bovedas work great if you want to spend the money. I just take a large flat, but rimmed, plastic container top. Place that in the bottom of the humi. Place a shallow bowl of distilled water (DW), or DW soaked sponge in a bowl. Close the lid, and wait a minimum of two weeks without opening it other than checking the water level in the bowl, etc.
Works great, and you saved 15-20 bucks for some good smokes. Just put the humidor someplace save where kids, pets, and hurricane house cleaners can't bunp it hard enough to cause a spill.

Bovedas work great if you want to spend the money. I just take a large flat, but rimmed, plastic container top. Place that in the bottom of the humi. Place a shallow bowl of distilled water (DW), or DW soaked sponge in a bowl. Close the lid, and wait a minimum of two weeks without opening it other than checking the water level in the bowl, etc.
Works great, and you saved 15-20 bucks for some good smokes. Just put the humidor someplace save where kids, pets, and hurricane house cleaners can't bunp it hard enough to cause a spill.
What he said...he's a Monk, and they don't lie.

Just don't ask him to bake... ;)

Fruit Cake Rocks!!! ;)

Works great, and you saved 15-20 bucks for some good smokes. Just put the humidor someplace save where kids, pets, and hurricane house cleaners can't bump it hard enough to cause a spill.

Fruit Cake Rocks!!! ;)
Dan, I thought it was bukkake you were fond of... :laugh:

hahah thanks guys just started seasoning it yesterday, i just did the bowl of distilled water and i am gonna see how that goes!

Works great, and you saved 15-20 bucks for some good smokes. Just put the humidor someplace save where kids, pets, and hurricane house cleaners can't bump it hard enough to cause a spill.

Fruit Cake Rocks!!! ;)
Dan, I thought it was bukkake you were fond of... :laugh:

Hey, that IS NOT the proper way to season a humidor!!!

Water works, either in a cup/bowl or a sponge on a plate. Overshoot the desired RH for a while and then bring it down to desired RH with beads.

This.

This is what I do (depending on size of humidor) I get 2-3 shot glasses and fill them with distilled water, I let those sit there for 7-10 days.

Then I put my humidity beads (best investment you'll ever make) in there for ONE day, remove the shot glasses, and wait another few days to see where the humidity settles. If the beads go dry really fast I put 1 shot glass back in for a couple of days.

It's just trial and error, you can't really screw it up unless you drench the wood with water which WILL warp it, other than that, just play around with it and have fun :)