• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New music suggestions

bluue13

I rarely listen to terrestrial radio, and stream often on Spotify. The problem is with both satellite and streaming radio I find myself just listening to the same stuff over and over. So I'm looking for new suggestions of great stuff/artists/bands to listen to.

I have an eclectic taste in music but I have to say I tend to shy away from mainstream country and such.

Some of my favorites if it helps for suggestions:

Dave Matthews Band
Tool
Greg Laswell
Sara Bareilles (non-radio releases)
Matt Corby
Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five
Cold War Kids
Brand New
Mumford & Sons
Death Cab for Cutie
Sigur Ros
Melody Gardot
Various jazz/blues, etc.

Just to name a few...

Maybe an exploration of very early blues.
I personally have been revisiting recorded ragtime, which I have always thoroughly enjoyed.

One of the best ways to discover new music is to upgrade your equipment and listen to the music you already have. That said there is so much good blues out there you shouldn't have any problem finding something new to you. Just recently some old school rockers have released blues ablums like Leslie West and Robin Trower. More traditional is Eric Gales and Gary Clark Jr. and something that I've been liking lately Indigenous. Albert Collins has a new one out too that is on my list.

Maybe an exploration of very early blues.
I personally have been revisiting recorded ragtime, which I have always thoroughly enjoyed.

I listen to a lot of early blues and jazz as well everyday with my kids at school. Great great stuff.

Some of my favorite moments are when we draw parallels between Muddy Waters and early Rolling Stones. Even better when the kids can pick up on the similarities.

Some of my favorite moments are when we draw parallels between Muddy Waters and early Rolling Stones. Even better when the kids can pick up on the similarities.
Considering the Stones didn't record an original song until their 4th British album one can see how that might happen.

I'm right there with you. Top 40 doesn't do it for me. I'm all over the place with my tastes in music. I can go full techno/rave in one minute and then bang my head to some Pantera, the next.

That being said, here's some of my eclectic guilty pleasures.

On the chill out side, I really like some of the following:
Ulrich Schnauss

Trentemoller

Solar Fields

God is an Astronaut

Looks like I'm going to have to break this into separate posts....this one is chill out.

Here's some more compatible music to the list you gave...

Porcupine Tree

Secret Saucer is great space rock chill out music.

Swinging out to the left field fence....my all time favorite musician is Devin Townsend....he goes from ambient to death metal and beyond. Mild to wild, so hang on!
You've been warned. :D

And finally, my favorite live album of all time.
Iced Earth. Alive in Athens ( the video doesn't always match up perfectly with the songs, but the album is amazing!!!)

You may like The Hellacopters....a Swedish rock band that reminds me of a harder version of Thin Lizzy. Swedish metal, always a crowd pleaser, lol.

Alt J might be becoming pretty mainstream but even before that, I thought they have such a throwback vocal track with modern synth.

I've also been looking at soundtracks and Blade Runner has always been a favorite. Composer was Vangelis and his works are electric.

Love Alt-J.

Some of my favorite things to listen to as well are film scores. Way too many great ones to choose a favorite but I'd have to say my top choices are mostly anything my John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, and Rachel Portman.

Love Alt-J.

Some of my favorite things to listen to as well are film scores. Way too many great ones to choose a favorite but I'd have to say my top choices are mostly anything my John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, and Rachel Portman.

Movie scores....I'm going with Clint Mansell.
Pi
Requiem for a Dream
The Fountain

I like the soundtrack from "Savior" (1998) a lot. Setting is the Bosnian conflict, containing several traditional regional folk songs. Good flick too.

Movie scores....I'm going with Clint Mansell.
Pi
Requiem for a Dream
The Fountain

The Fountain is killer! Have a bunch of tracks from it in a chill out/movie mix I listen to often.

John Powell is awesome too. Oh and...lets see Alexandre Desplat, Michael Giacchino, Alan Silvestri, oh man, like I said, too many to list them all.

The Fountain is killer! Have a bunch of tracks from it in a chill out/movie mix I listen to often.

John Powell is awesome too. Oh and...lets see Alexandre Desplat, Michael Giacchino, Alan Silvestri, oh man, like I said, too many to list them all.

If you like the jungle dnb sound, Pi is really good.

Requiem's Lux Aeterna has been sampled in almost everything, and was used extensively with LOTR promos.

I enjoy listening to Volbeat, a Danish band. They play a mix of rock and roll, heavy metal and rockabilly.

Some of the mentions above are in the same vein as what I'm into. I played music full time for a number of years (doing mostly US tours independently) and the below video was one of the more successful tracks we had (and one of the last).

We performed a mix of modern rock (Brand New, Death Cab for Cutie, Blink 182 ect) with some more of the newer-age classic rock (Zepplin, Tool, Coheed, ect). For some it comes across as "overproduced" but its been almost three years after our last album and I'm still very proud of our canon of work.

Music is a funny thing in that sometimes what works for some doesn't for others, but I figured I'd share in case it strikes anyones fancy. We've since taken down our tracks on iTunes and Spotify but you can still find the full album (track by track) on youtube and often in other places as well. I've also still got a whole pile of these albums in my basement taking up space. Overall we sold around 20,000 of the last album in 2 years and were eventually talking contracts with some labels, but making about the same amount as the average McDonalds employee for 3+ years while building up a wider audience didn't appeal to us all that much. We did it for the love of music more than the desire to hit it huge.

Anyway, for those interested, below is the aformentioned video.

:)