• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New walk of life

northernmoris

FFOX Whore
After 3 years on CP I have finally made the leap to this side of the woods. I'm not a big drinker, never have. On top of that I hate beer. If I'm drinking, its usually Tequila, go figure. As of lately I have been thinking of trying scotch and/or bourbon. For the last two days I have read through countless threads. I finally decided to just pm Ray and go straight to the source. After some pm's I came home today with a bottle of Bakers aged 7 and a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood. It seems locally the selection of bourbon is very limited. Later today I will try each bottle, as for water/ice who knows. I will try each, and then make some adjustments. Hoping for the best.

2011-04-10_13-22-04_510.jpg

Props to Ray; that's a heckuva good start! :thumbs:

If you find the Balvenie DW to your liking, I can recommend the Aberlour 12 and Dalmore 12 as drams you'll enjoy as well.

~Boar

Two of my favorites right there. You will definitely want to add some ice or water to that Bakers...it's pretty strong stuff but it's damn tasty. For bourbon you might also try Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel and Makers Mark 46.

Enjoy!

Nice. My jury is still out on Bourbon but I love that Balvenie. My buddy has an anicdote for real peaty Scotch. He says it tastes like it has been stirred with a burnt fence post. :laugh:

Enjoy brother.

Maybe it was so good he drank the whole bottle and hasn't gotten out of bed, yet... ;)

I know the Balvenie is good stuff, but I haven't tried that bourbon. Hope you enjoyed whatever you had.

Last night I had about two fingers of the balvenie, not bad, had to add some water. Next time I will try a ice cube. Next will be the bakers. Poured out a sip last night, came off as real strong in every sense..

So today I bought a bottle of Knob Creek small batch. I poured 2 fingers and added a ice cube. I found it to be much smoother, and picked up notes of vanilla extract in the finish.. Maybe I am on the right path.

So today I bought a bottle of Knob Creek small batch. I poured 2 fingers and added a ice cube. I found it to be much smoother, and picked up notes of vanilla extract in the finish.. Maybe I am on the right path.

Give the Knob Creek a try without the ice. Water/ ice certainly will cut the harshness of any whiskey, but it also effects the taste. That Bakers is very high alcohol and if I'm not mistaken Knob Creek is pretty high too. You may want to try something with a lower alcohol content - like an Eagle Rare (which I believe is around 90 proof) and work your way up to some of the higher proof whiskeys.

Give the Knob Creek a try without the ice. Water/ ice certainly will cut the harshness of any whiskey, but it also effects the taste. That Bakers is very high alcohol and if I'm not mistaken Knob Creek is pretty high too. You may want to try something with a lower alcohol content - like an Eagle Rare (which I believe is around 90 proof) and work your way up to some of the higher proof whiskeys.

Very good suggestion! I think you would like eagle rare, especially if you like the vanilla finish from the Knob.

I haven't had it, but Knob Creek came out with a single barrel a little bit a go. Would imagine that you would like that as well.

Eventually I think you should try a bourbon with a little more spice then the knob and eagle rare, I dont think you can go wrong with Rock Hills Farm.

Good luck, and I hope I helped!

Give the Knob Creek a try without the ice. Water/ ice certainly will cut the harshness of any whiskey, but it also effects the taste.
Good advice. Pour a finger and see what you think before you add any water or ice. Keep in mind a drop or two of water will affect the taste more than you can imagine. Sometimes, a couple of drops are all that's required.

I still strongly prefer my Bourbon neat....no ice, no water. Personal preference there; YMMV, etc.....

Give the Knob Creek a try without the ice. Water/ ice certainly will cut the harshness of any whiskey, but it also effects the taste.
Good advice. Pour a finger and see what you think before you add any water or ice. Keep in mind a drop or two of water will affect the taste more than you can imagine. Sometimes, a couple of drops are all that's required.

I still strongly prefer my Bourbon neat....no ice, no water. Personal preference there; YMMV, etc.....

I definitely will try that next time. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully you will find a reason to come back to NJ/NY area, last time I wasn't drinking.

Wow, you really are moving down that slope, great buys though.

I look forward to getting your thoughts as you learn more. I am new to the scotch/bourbon game too.

The difference between this slope and the cigar slope is that one LITERALLY slides down a slope with liquor - like stairs, escalators and ditches! :rolleyes:

If you decide it's not for you, LMK and I may be able to help you "liquidate" you stock. :p

BTW im getting a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood, for my first Scotch ever!!!