• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Training Cigar Pass-- For February 07-

Saxjazzman

I am thinking of starting a cigar pass for newbies who have been members for six month or less or with 1000 posts or less. The purpose of this pass is to go through the drill of what a cigar pass is all about, receiving, packing, mailing, puts and takes. I recently mailed out some cigars and did a questionable job in packing. Hopefully after we go through this one and get some feedback, we will know what to do when the real deal comes down the pike.

I propose the following rules.
1) I would iniciate this pass with a box of cigars.
2) The cigars all will be $3 or less a stick.
3) Puts and Takes should be $3 or less a stick, bundle cigars are ok.
4) We should have an established experienced member of CP #2 or 3 in the slot, somewhere in the middle and almost at the end. The purpose of the experienced folk would be to monitor the set up, middle point, and end to give feed back. We hope that we can get at least three old timers to participate.
5) We would follow the protocol of CP cigar passes (all interested should read the thread). That would mean, among other things, keeping track, posting when received, what taking and what replacing, when mailing, tracking numbers, and communicating, communicating, communicating.
6) When the pass is done, if they can help out, the two/three experienced CP passers would let us know what we did wrong, what we did right, and ways to improve.
7) Again, the purpose would be to get the mechanics and experience of a cigar pass without the danger of ruining a valuable pass.

I hope that we can get some interest. I would recommend about 10-15 newbies for this and about three experienced CP passers. Let me know if there are any takers. This would be fun, and there are some good sticks around for $3 or less.

Standing anxiously by!!! :D

P.S. To experienced passers; any recommendations???

EDITED 20 JAN 2007--- 6:57 P.M.

Gentlemen,

Below is the recommend list for the cigar pass and order of travel. We have NorCalCigarLover, an experienced CP member who will guide us pain in the ass newbies in our first pass. We really appreciate his help because there is nothing like experience to prevent stupid mistakes. The list has Norcalicigarlover in the number two slot. I will send the pass to him so he can expect the packages and make recommendations on packaging, inside organanization, included lists, etc. The order follows:

1)Saxjazzman (begins the pass)--NY
2) Norcalcigarlover----CA
3) Bilder---AK
4) Smellysell--MT
5)Satchmo---WI
6)Mmburtch---CO
7)Poronico---AZ ----Excused From Pass
8)Beaucredo---CO
9)Defetis---MO
10) SmokeRiver---KS
11) Wanlail---TX
12)Mdutch---TX.
13)Nicktressler---PA
14)Burnt Tongue---NY
15) Cigar SmokinChef---NJ--Received pass out of sequence due to availability
16) Tomthirtysix---NY --Surprize!!! :laugh:
17) Saxjazzman--NY [/b].......... End of Mission !!
Please make sure you email me a good name and address to receive priority mail. Next week I will try to post the list of cigars that will start the pass. We are going for $10 or less.

Here is the initial load for the cigar pass. There may be some last minute substitution but if there are they will be noted here. They will be placed in bagies that will be marked and there will be three cigars of each to increase the chance of getting something you may want to try. You can take up to three cigars and replace with equal value but no more than one from any bag.
Cigar Pass List
1) Gurkha---G3
2) Gurkha---Perfecto #1
3) Gurkha---Expedition, Torpedo
4) Gurkha---Regent, Torpedo
5) Olivia---Master Blend ll, Churchill
6) 5 Vegas--- Casket Strength, Toro
7) 5 Vegas---Limitada ’06, Torpedo
8) Royal Jamaica Gold---Toro
9) Rocky Patel Conneticutt ’99---Toro
10) RP Cuban Blend--- Corojo, Torpedo
11) RP Honduran---Corojo, Robusto
12) Indian Tabac Super Fuerte---Petite Belicoso
13) Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend---Toro Grande
14) Placensia Reserve Organica---Toro
15) Mystery Cigar?

The Cigar Pass has begun on 2 Feb 2007!!!
The Cigar Pass is covered by CPI (Cigar Pass Insurance).

Since this is a training cigar pass I think that we should play this one by the book so we all get the system down. That means the following:

1) Post when you receive the pass
2) Post puts and takes and wait for confirmation of approval. If no confirmation in 36 hours after posting puts and takes then assume that it is ok and get the box moving to the next location. NOTE: For puts and takes, and again because this is a practice run when you post your puts, put the MSRP on your cigars. This will be good practice in how to look them up.
3) Email next recipient to confirm mailing address and that he or she will be available to receive the box. Life happens and we just want to make sure the pass box is not sitting in the rain or snow on someone's stoop who has had an emergency. This is just an extra safety measure.
4) Once the box has been sent priority, post the DC (Delivery Confirmation) number on CP.
5) Follow the Pass and watch the fun continue!!!!!

Please keep posted to this site as things may change. NorCalCigarLover is our experienced member who is helping us out on this pass. He may post suggestions and recommendations and we may implement them to improve the pass.

**************************************************************************************

First I want to thank NorCalCigarLover for fixing the screwed up packing and listing of cigars. Please read this thread about how things should be packed. How the Packing Should be Done==IMPORTANT

The new cigar list follows. It is the same cigars just repacked and renumbered. Thanks!

The Official Cigar List:

1. Gurkha G3 (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
2. Gurkha G3 (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
3. Gurkha G3 (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
4. Gurkha Perfecto, #1 (P:Saxjazzman, T: Smellysell)
5. Gurkha Perfecto, #1 (P:Saxjazzman, T: Mmburtch)
6. Gurkha Perfecto, #1 (P:Saxjazzman, T:Burnt Tongue)
7. Gurkha Expedition, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
8. Gurkha Expedition, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
9. Gurkha Expedition, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T: Bilder)
10. Gurkha Regent, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
11. Gurkha Regent, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
12. Gurkha Regent, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T: Bilder)
13. Olivia Master Blend ll, Churchill (P:Saxjazzman, T:Wanlail)
14. Olivia Master Blend ll, Churchill (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
15. Olivia Master Blend ll, Churchill (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
16. 5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:NorCalCigarLover)
17. 5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:Defetis)
18. 5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro [/color](P:Saxjazzman, T:SmokeRiver)
19. 5 Vegas Limitada '06, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:NorCalCigarLover)
20. 5 Vegas Limitada '06, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
21. 5 Vegas Limitada '06, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
22. Royal Jamaica Gold, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
23. Royal Jamaica Gold, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
24. Royal Jamaica Gold, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
25. Rocky Patel Conneticutt '99, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
26. Rocky Patel Conneticutt '99, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
27. Rocky Patel Conneticutt '99, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
28. RP Cuban Blend Corojo, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T: CigarSmokinChef)
29. RP Cuban Blend Corojo, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T: Beaucredo)
30. RP Cuban Blend Corojo, Torpedo (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
31. RP Honduran Corojo, Robusto (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
32. RP Honduran Corojo, Robusto (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
33. RP Honduran Corojo, Robusto (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
34. Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, Petite Belicoso (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
35. Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, Petite Belicoso (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
36. Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, Petite Belicoso (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
37. Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend, Toro Grande (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
38. Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend, Toro Grande (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
39. Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend, Toro Grande (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
40. Placensia Reserve Organica, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:Mdutch)
41. Placensia Reserve Organica, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
42. Placensia Reserve Organica, Toro (P:Saxjazzman, T:?)
43. Mystery Cigar ? (P:Saxjazzman, T: Smellysell)
44. Mystery Cigar ? (P:Saxjazzman, T: Satchmo)
45. Mystery Cigar? (P:Saxjazzman, T:Defetis)

46. LFD DL Chiselito Natural (P:NorCalCigarLover, T:?)
47. LFD DL Chiselito Maduro (P:NorCalCigarLover, T:Bilder)
48. Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos (P: Bilder, T: SmokeRiver)
49. CAO CX2 Robust (P: Bilder, T: ?)
50. CAO Sopranos Solider (P: Bilder, T: Smellysell)
51. DCM #2 (P: Smellysell, T: Satchmo)
52. AF Cuban Beli (P: Smellysell, T: CigarSmokinChef)
53. ESG Robusto (P: Smellysell, T: Satchmo)
54. Ramon y Ramon Tribute Familia (from Parti 150 humidor) (P: Smellysell, T: ?)
55. Lempira Torpedo (P: CigarSmokinChef, T:?)
56. Ancient Warrior (P: CigarSmokinChef, T:Beaucredo)
57. Graycliff Professionale PGX (P: Satchmo, T: Mmburtch)
58.Tatuaje RC 184 (P:Satchmo, T:Wanlail)
59. La Aurora Preferido Saphire Tubo (P: Satchmo, T:Wanlail)
60. Gurkha Royal Brigade (P: Satchmo, T: Mmburtch)
61. Don Lino Africa Duma (P: Satchmo, T:?)
62. Romeo Y Jullieta Reserve Real #2 (P: Mmburtch, t:?)
63. DCM #2 (P: Mmburtch, T:?)
64. Partages Decadas 1995 #1 (P:Mmburtch, T: Defetis)
65. Hemie Sig Maddie (P:Mmburtch, T:Nicktressler)
66. Partagas Humitube (P:Beaucredo, T:?)
67. Camacho Coyolar Titan (P:Beaucredo, T:SmokeRiver)
68. Don Pepin Black Belicoso (P: Defetis, T:Nicktressler)
69. Padron 1926 (P:Defetis, T:Mdutch)
70. Ashton ESG Robusto (P:Defetis, T:?)
71. CAO 65th Anniversary Tonton (P:SmokeRiver, T:?)
72. Ashton VSG Enchantment (P:SmokeRiver, T:Burnt Tongue)
73. Gurkha X Fuerte Torpedo (P:SmokeRiver, T:?)
74. Gurkha X Fuerte Torpedo (P:SmokeRiver, T:?)
75. Perdomo Edicion de Silvo Robusto (P:Wanlail, T:?)
76. Padron '26 (P:Wanlail, T:Nicktressler)
77. Cuesta Rey #9 Stanford Cameroon (P:Wanlail, T:?)
78. La Flor Dominicana (P:Wanlail,T:?)
79. Tatuaje Hermoso (P:Wanlail, T:Mdutch)
80. La Aurora Leon Jimenes Camaroon 2001 (P:Mdutch, T:?)
81. Ghurka "Titan" (P:Mdutch, T:?) l
82. La Aurora Leon Jimenes SUMO Toro Maduro (P:Mdutch, T:?)
83. La Aurora Preferido #2 Corojo (P:Mdutch, T:Burnt Tongue)
84. La Aurora Leon Jimenes #4 "Don Fernando" (P:Mdutch, T:?)
85. La Aurora Leon Jimenes #4 "Don Fernando" (P:Mdutch, T:?)
86. La Aurora Leon Jimenes #4 "Don Fernando" (P:Mdutch, T:?)
87. RP Sungrown 6x60 (P:Nicktressler, T:?)
88. Partagas 160 Robusto (P:Nicktressler, T:?)
89. RP Vintage 90 Churchill (P:Nicktressler, T:?)
90. Ashton Maximus Toro #4 (P:Burnt Tongue, T:?)
91. Tatuaje Cojonu 2006 Torp (P:Burnt Tongue, T:?)
92. Arturo Fuente Reserve Extra Viejo Cedar Torp (P:Burnt Tongue, T:?)
93. Padilla Habana Robusto (P:Burnt Tongue, T:?)
94. Perdermo Lot 23 Torp (P:Burnt Tongue, T:?)

Pass Complete on 17 Apr 2007

i would be interested to join, but i have one recomendation...that is to include a wider price range of cigars. If this is done there can be more room for better puts and takes, and the end result will end up to be better than what you start with. thats my two cents... the 3 dollar range is good for newbies but i think most can handle 3-8 dollar range if not ten

By members for six months do you mean less than? If so I'm in, if not, oh well, next time. I agree that a little higher price range would be better.

I think its a great idea, Sax. I doubt you'll have trouble finding mentors. I've actually only done one pass, hosted by ggiese. It was well organized and I learned a ton. For those who have never participated, go back and read through a few.

First advice from me (Sax) is to get registered on USPS Click-n-ship. First thing George did on the pass I was in was to print the shipping address labels for each participant and put them in the box, in order. All I had to do was stick the label on the box and pay the postage. Ba-da-bing!

The actual box (a USPS supplied Priority Mail containg) was worn out by the time it got to me, so I replaced it. You might arrange for box replacement about every 4th stop. The cigar container was a very rugged Tupperware. The cigars were cushioned inside the tupper and the tupper was cushioned inside the USPS box.

i would be interested to join, but i have one recomendation...that is to include a wider price range of cigars. If this is done there can be more room for better puts and takes, and the end result will end up to be better than what you start with. thats my two cents... the 3 dollar range is good for newbies but i think most can handle 3-8 dollar range if not ten

I see now problem with increasing the range, I just don't want to make anyone feel they should not join if they don't have "good" stuff. If the general consesus is to up it to $5 or less per stick that will be fine.

By members for six months do you mean less than? If so I'm in, if not, oh well, next time. I agree that a little higher price range would be better.

You are in. I meant six months or less. I edited the original to correct that.

I think its a great idea, Sax. I doubt you'll have trouble finding mentors. I've actually only done one pass, hosted by ggiese. It was well organized and I learned a ton. For those who have never participated, go back and read through a few.

First advice from me (Sax) is to get registered on USPS Click-n-ship. First thing George did on the pass I was in was to print the shipping address labels for each participant and put them in the box, in order. All I had to do was stick the label on the box and pay the postage. Ba-da-bing!

The actual box (a USPS supplied Priority Mail containg) was worn out by the time it got to me, so I replaced it. You might arrange for box replacement about every 4th stop. The cigar container was a very rugged Tupperware. The cigars were cushioned inside the tupper and the tupper was cushioned inside the USPS box.

This is some great stuff you are telling us NullSmurf!! It sounds like the way to go. :D

id love to be in and contribute man. Awhile back on here smokeyballs got some zip lock baggies perfect for the size of a cigar, i recomend these as well so you can number everything and as stated above do take into thought about tupperware with bubble padding and a box replacement.....great advice.... i hope to see this pass take off and have plenty of cigars in your range to contribute so here is a list of things you need besides the usps thing he mentioned

bubble wrap
cigars
zip lock baggies
tupperware
good transportable box
list of inventory to go with the pass
and finally a list of participants

Not a bad idea. As defitis mentioned, it would be a good idea to up the price range for cigars included. One reason for this is because although this is an exercise and learning experience, it's crazy to pay the cost of shipping a pass (easily going to be $10 or more each time) when you're trading for low cost cigars. You'll pay more for shipping than what you would for the cigars themselves!

Another consideration is having one of the FOG's involved reviewing the puts and takes. No offense to those in my previous FNG passes, but there was a lot of work being done behind the scenes because people either did not research prices, or just didn't understand how it was supposed to work.

Also, you should register and encourage others in your pass to register for CPI (Cigar Pass Insurance). Do a search for CPI and you'll see what it's all about.

id love to be in and contribute man. Awhile back on here smokeyballs got some zip lock baggies perfect for the size of a cigar, i recomend these as well so you can number everything and as stated above do take into thought about tupperware with bubble padding and a box replacement.....great advice.... i hope to see this pass take off and have plenty of cigars in your range to contribute so here is a list of things you need besides the usps thing he mentioned

bubble wrap
cigars
zip lock baggies
tupperware
good transportable box
list of inventory to go with the pass
and finally a list of participants

Since I am initiating the pass, this is good stuff for me to know and do. Your idea about zip locks and numbering is important when the cigar we are passing are the great ones. It will be good practice for that. HOOOAAAHHH!!!

sounds really cool, i'd be interested in joining if theres spots open. don't forget the insurance on the box? and D/C number

sounds really cool, i'd be interested in joining if theres spots open. don't forget the insurance on the box? and D/C number

Gonz, (see above) also recommended cigar pass insurance. I am trying to find out where I can learn more about that. Consider yourself in. We have awhile to plan this before we kick it off in February to get all the kinks out and learn how to do it right. We have had some great recommendations and help so far.

Here's your link.

Just another thought here, it might not be a bad idea just to see if you can get someone with more experience to take more of the initial organizing role in this, essentially being the one who puts it together. There's a lot to know to start a pass, and a lot of folks will agree that it's best to actually be in a couple before taking on the challenge of hosting your own.

If that sounds like a good idea to you, I would be willing to do this and facilitate this happening.

Here's your link.

Just another thought here, it might not be a bad idea just to see if you can get someone with more experience to take more of the initial organizing role in this, essentially being the one who puts it together. There's a lot to know to start a pass, and a lot of folks will agree that it's best to actually be in a couple before taking on the challenge of hosting your own.

If that sounds like a good idea to you, I would be willing to do this and facilitate this happening.

Gonz,

I got the link and thanks. I emailed emodx about getting insurance and am waiting for his reply. I know that I will make some great and silly mistakes trying to run this one, but I would like to try with you watching over my shoulder. If you don't mind, it would be great to have you in the number 2 slot. This way you would be the first to get the pass and you can give some comments and recommendations on packing, labels, and all of those great ideas mentioned above. If you would post them so all the other newbies in the pass can learn and adjust accordingly that would be great. If we could get someone in the middle and or end who has experience for feedback in the pass that would be great.

I want to thank you in advance for all you have done and hopefully will do to make this a great learning experience for us.

I would be in for this pass. I agree with the increase in price though a little more than 3 dollars. i think anything under 10 woul be cool.

I can't play, I have 800 plus posts! I agree on the value - you could make it $5-$8 for the cigars. That would at least make it wortwhile.

I would love to get my feet wet on this one. Great idea! I also favor the 3-10 range, mostly for the shipping costs mentioned as well as getting sticks I might be more excited by.

Matt

edit: Let BT play. He can't help it if he's a post whore, and I hear he has good stuff in his humi.

I would be interested in joining the pass if you still have some room available. It would be my first pass and a good learning experience.

Count me in if you will, I am ready and willing to learn more. I like the idea of $5 or so sticks as I have not had a chance/cash to invest in any of the higher price stuff.

I can't play, I have 800 plus posts! I agree on the value - you could make it $5-$8 for the cigars. That would at least make it wortwhile.

Who says you can't play??? You have less than 1000 posts don't you????? :rolleyes: :whistling: