• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NHL, 2011-12 season

The Black Cloud

Well, I woke up to great news that Doughty has finally re-signed with the KIngs and figured this was a good time to start a new thread for the upcoming season. With Drew back and the moves that have been made, I gotta say, things are looking very good for the Kings. I think the biggest issue for the season is health. The Kings need guys like Gagne, Williams, and Penner to be on top of their games, let alone Kopi, Johnson, Brown, Greene, Quick, etc.

If they stay healthy and things come together, I see the Kings pushing the Sharks for the Pac Div title and at least making it to the 2nd round come April.

Sharks still scare me, and with Hiller back in Anaheim, the Ducks scare me as well.

So what are your thoughts for the upcoming season?

GO KINGS GO! Hopefully the chemistry is there. It does look good on paper for the KINGS. I myself am going to miss Zooz and Simmonds. You nailed it with the health. However Ducks don't scare me :laugh: .

So he finally signed? Good grief, it's about time.

As a former Kings fan, I do hope they make it past the first round this year, and maybe bring some revenue to our state along with The Cup.

Now, as a Red Wings fan, I want Lidstrom to get Lord Stanley this year because every year may be his last according to him. He frustrates me when he signs on for just one year, season ends, then he takes the whole summer to say whether he's returning or not. I really think because of his age and stuff, this WILL be his last season, so I'd like them to get it.

We just have to focus on being healthy too. We've got Franzen again, Holmstrom needs to stay healthy, and we can't lost our snipers like Zetterburg and Pav to any injuries. Oh, also Jimmy Howard carried us last season, so if we lose him were effed.

Feels a little awkward giving the NHL props but I have to say that Shanny is doing a great job laying down the law early. Love the videos that follow as an explanation (transparency). Well done, Sir.

Some quick observations during the off/preseason:
Washington has beefed up their blue line and net which should allow their forwards some latitude.
Buffalo made some nice additions to their blue line, will enjoy having Derek Roy back and now has a great 2nd line Ennis/Leino/Stafford
Florida threw a bunch of money around and picked up some decent scraps. Goaltending is suspect, but they'll be better.
Phoenix will not rise this year. I'm going with horrible instead.
Until Devon Dubnyk is the starter in EDM, they will continue to suck.
Really looking forward to seeing the MacArthur/Grabovski/Kuleman line in Toronto.
LA will rock in the West.
Really looking forward to seeing the Heatley/Koivu/Setoguchi line in Minny.
Ian White will be a great addition to the Wings blue line.
Will Howard be the man in Detroit or will Holland have to go get Nabby?
Wondering if Bryz and handle the heat of the Philly media.
Speaking of Philly, can they absorb the loss of Carter/Richards? Giroux is looking awfully good in the preseason.
Regardless the haters, a healthy Crosby and Malkin will make for some great hockey.

I was also just reading that it sounds like a lock that Detroit will get moved into the EC next year. The team and especially fans should be stoked about that!

Wait, wait, wait a second, Jonathan! You were a Kings fan but became a Wings fan? Man, I don't know if I can look you in the eye anymore.

:p ;)

Wait, wait, wait a second, Jonathan! You were a Kings fan but became a Wings fan? Man, I don't know if I can look you in the eye anymore.

Oh yeah baby, as a boy I rocked my LA King shirt proudly and Gretzky was my hero... Until my dad made me stop wearing it because he said the team colors back then were "gangster" colors. Damn enterprising criminals, they gotta ruin everything.

Oh yeah baby, as a boy I rocked my LA King shirt proudly and Gretzky was my hero... Until my dad made me stop wearing it because he said the team colors back then were "gangster" colors. Damn enterprising criminals, they gotta ruin everything.

Gretzky was your hero so you were a Kings fan? How does that work? I liked Michael Jordan but it doesn't mean I was a die hard Wizards fan... ;)

Gretzky was your hero so you were a Kings fan? How does that work? I liked Michael Jordan but it doesn't mean I was a die hard Wizards fan... ;)

Dude, I was like 10... LOL :laugh:

Jonathan Quick has entered beast mode. 3 shut outs in a row! Next game is Tuesday versus NJ. Kings are off to a good start and I'm liking Mike Richards more and more. If I remember correctly, I think Tuesday should be Doughty's first game back from injury. Go Kings!

Can't believe how hot Dallas has been. I certainly did not predict that they'd be so formidable after losing Richards. Wonder if they can keep it up. Seems the Pacific Div is only allowed one poor team and maybe Dallas and Phoenix will flip flop?

I don't keep up with Columbus much but I wonder how long they are gonna go with Steve Mason before they cut the cord. Seems like he could use some new scenery on another team.

Caps with Vokoun = danger for all other teams. There was a time when if the Kings got Vokoun I would've climaxed. I think he's very underrated and should post great numbers with a team like WAS.

I'm very impressed with Quick, he's a good goalie. I'm not so impressed with Conklin and have NO IDEA why Babcock put him in against the undefeated Capitals. That was a stupid move.

I was hoping the Wings would win while Lidstrom was playing his 1500th game, but oh well. Good season start!

I don't keep up with Columbus much but I wonder how long they are gonna go with Steve Mason before they cut the cord. Seems like he could use some new scenery on another team.

I follow Columbus because they are my most 'local' team. In fact, the arena is an amazing place to watch, well, anything. That said, you're right about Mason. There needs to be a change NOW. He just is not fitting with the team right now. I do like to see Columbus win but it's hard for me to be a true fan...as I type that wearing my Blackhawks jersey.

Word on the street is Bernier will be in goal for the Kings tonight against the Devils. I understand wanting to get him in a game since he hasn't played in a while but with Quick riding a 3 game SO streak, I find it assinine to make Quick ride the pine for a game.

It may work out fine, but putting in the backup while your #1 is riding a serious SO streak is a serious goalie faux paux.

Red Wings got spanked by the Blue Jackets tonight, and a lot of that had to do with Conklin. I have no idea why he got signed, they should have kept Ozzy for times like this. Howard was excused because his wife is with child, so it made sense why they didn't have him in the net the last two games. :(

Jonathan, seriously, 6 in a row? Wow.

Heading to the game tonight. Kings versus Pens. Wish I had better feelings about this one but I don't. For a team that boasts some serious goal scorers, the Kings can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn. Penner has been a mighty expensive paperweight in his time here. Well, I hope for a Kings W tonight but it wouldn't surprise me if the Pens skated circles around the Kings. Oh yeah, now I remember what it's like to be a Kings fan. Why did I ever leave the Lakers? Tisk tisk.

I know right?!?! WTF. We're healthy, but we're seriously shooting ourselves in the leg these days, and even against easy teams. I expected more out of the Wings, but it seems like we lost momentum once we went up against the Caps and Babcock put in that kid Conklin. I understood why, because Jimmy Howard was out on "maternity leave," but ever since he came back he's been out of sync. I'm hoping they recover quickly though, we need to make it to theplayoffs this year...