• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noob scotch drinker

cigars&coffee

I tried Glenlivet scotch to pair with my cigar at the recommendation of a friend and it was okay but not great.  I recently had Crown Royal XR and really enjoyed it.  Anyone have experience with Crown Royal XR or other another type of scotch that pairs well with cigars?

Crown Royal is a Canadian whiskey, not a Scotch.  For Canadian, I recommend Forty Creek John T. Hall Double Barrel.  It should be about the same price as Crown Royal's upper end, and it's amazing.

~Boar

My personal preference is single malt.

The ones that i normally pair with my (mostly) Dominican cigars are the Dalmore 15 years, Glenfiddich 12 years and Glenmorangie d'Oro.

Another drink I enjoy with the cigars is the Norwegian national drink "Aquavit". Hopefully it's allowed to post pictures of alcohol, and here is my preferred one (the pricier one):

Aquavit is pretty much the whiskey version of Gin. Certainly interesting at times if you get a good one.

Robusto_SingleMalt said:
My personal preference is single malt.

The ones that i normally pair with my (mostly) Dominican cigars are the Dalmore 15 years, Glenfiddich 12 years and Glenmorangie d'Oro.

Another drink I enjoy with the cigars is the Norwegian national drink "Aquavit". Hopefully it's allowed to post pictures of alcohol, and here is my preferred one (the pricier one):
Is it true that it's a Norwegian custom to drink the last one without water? Saw it depicted in an old movie about a Norwegian immigrant family living in San Francisco.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Is it true that it's a Norwegian custom to drink the last one without water? Saw it depicted in an old movie about a Norwegian immigrant family living in San Francisco.

Doc

To use the Norwgian term of Huh???:
Hæææ??? ("æ" pronounces like the "a" in "lamb")
Aquavit is *NEVER* enjoyed with water!

Please read the above in a non-offencive way, as it is ment as a Norwegian straight-from-the-liver exclamation.  :)

Here's the proper way of enjoying Aquavit:
1) A Løytens Linje or Taffel or any other mild Aquavit is enjoyed in shotglasses along with (darker) beer *with* a good and often fatty meal, like cod with liver and roe (a national Norwegian winter dish called "Mølje" ("ø" pronounces more or less like "ur" in "hurt"). Some people also combine Aquavit with a heavy red wine with the meal. Especially with pork belly and sauerkraut. Or any other national courses, like salt meat (sheep) with pork flesh ("bacon" that is salted but not smoked) and potato dumplings, served with a side dish of yellow pea soup. Another typical Aquavit meal is "Smalahove" or smoked, salted sheeps head.

2) The Non Plus Ultra (Latin for "nothing else than the best") is a drink that is enjoyed *after* a good meal in a whisky glass, and must be neat.

None of the Aquavits are "shotted". For the meals you take one sip of Aquavit and flush down with a mouthful of beer, specially after either a bite of the cod liver or a fatty fleshy piece of pork.
The NPU is enjoyed as a whisky, and as mentioned, not *with* meal, but after. Perfect to enjoy with a cigar. I myself make that one drink last as long as my Robusto lasts.

Just goes to show you, you can't trust Hollywood.

Doc

My family is North German and I agree with everything you said except we always had the beer first and then the Aquavit.  I think that is a Gulliver's Tales difference like the between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscu.

Here's the proper way of enjoying Aquavit:

None of the Aquavits are "shotted". For the meals you take one sip of Aquavit and flush down with a mouthful of beer, specially after either a bite of the cod liver or a fatty fleshy piece of pork.
The NPU is enjoyed as a whisky, and as mentioned, not *with* meal, but after. Perfect to enjoy with a cigar. I myself make that one drink last as long as my Robusto lasts.