• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noobish perceptions/misconceptions.

Kid Montana

Though not a seasoned cigar pro by any means, I've had enough smokes to know what I like, what makes for a good tasting cigar in general, and when a cigar really lacks an essential quality. When I first began smoking, however, I held a lot of mistaken perceptions.

Several of the first cigars I ever smoked were fairly dried out, uncared for, and cheap. In particular there were a couple pyramides of an un-remembered brand that were very acrid, very spicy/peppery and bitter. Because of this, I thought this was a characteristic of the pyramide vitola, having not realized the differences in manufacture, tobacco quality, humidification etc etc. Regardless, since then I've had a distinct unconscious preference for parejos vs. figurados.

Anybody else recall a completely bizarre perception or misconception you may have once held about cigars?

I once thought that Cuban cigars were rolled on the thighs of nubile virgins... come to find out, it wasn't a misconception at all! They actually are!!!

Seriously though:

I thought by reading reviews I was going to be able to know what the cigar tasted like... come to find out I've got a different taste for cigars and so does everyone else.

I was under the belief that all maduros were strong.

I thought short, little ring gauge cigars couldn't kick my ass, but we all know better now, right Isy?
laugh.gif

My link

This is a great topic.

When I first started smoking, I thought a Connecticut Shade wrapper on a cigar signified a flavorless, boring, or bitter smoke. The more Connecticuts I tried, the more I realized this stereotype was not always true. (As in the case of the Oliva Connecticut Reserve or Cusano 18, for example.)

I've been smoking cigars since I was about 17 or so, and I got my first humidor as a present from my wife when I was 21 (before then I'd just buy 2 or 3 at a time from the cigar store). I used to think that you were supposed to season your humidor at least once a year, and I also used more distilled water than you needed to (maybe that's due to some OCD as well). lol. Didn't seem to do any harm for a while, but over the years it caused enough damage that I had to get a new one recently, which has been seasoned only once. :D

I read a magazine article in Playboy about handmade cigars before I smoked my first, 39 yrs ago. So as far as I know, I've always been an expert.

Doc.

Best lesson to learn as a noob is don't over think things. Everything. It's supposed to be a relaxing activity. Not a "oh crap, do I leave the cello on or take it off?!" freak-out fest.

Also, all the eager beaver questions that we all seem to ask when we sign up on this forum are somewhere in the archives. About 99% of these questions have been asked or covered in conversation before. Go back and read more. Have patience, the answers are out there.

*cue x-files theme*

BR

Best lesson to learn as a noob is don't over think things. Everything. It's supposed to be a relaxing activity. Not a "oh crap, do I leave the cello on or take it off?!" freak-out fest.

Also, all the eager beaver questions that we all seem to ask when we sign up on this forum are somewhere in the archives. About 99% of these questions have been asked or covered in conversation before. Go back and read more. Have patience, the answers are out there.

*cue x-files theme*

BR

Yep. Perfect answer.

Trey

/Mellowed out; calmed down; edumacated newbie tool

//Reads a lot...

*cue x-files theme*

BR

Great post. As a noob myself, the search function is invaluable.

As for my own misconceptions... I used to belive that swisher sweets were good cigars. I also used to think that cigars that had fancy packaging were better. :rolleyes: Glad I'm past that!

I used to sweat bullets about the RH moving around a point or two. After time, you realize that if you ask a bunch of "experts", you'll get recommendations from 58% to 75%, with perfectly reasonable explanations for every one of them. What it boils down to is personal preference.

My cabinet is set to 63%; it runs a point or two higher in the bottom, a point or two lower in the top, and I realized it just doesn't matter.....
laugh.gif

I always thought more expensive meant better when I first started really getting into cigars. Then, I found Padron 2000 maddies...

I used to think that cigars were just big cigarettes. Apparently not the case.

I used to think bigger and thicker was better. But , my wife says that's not the case and not to worry.

I used to think bigger and thicker was better.

I used to too. After a while I realized most of the time I just don't want to sit down with a cigar for two hours. I also used to think the drugstore brands were viable options. Those were dark times, my friends.

I used to gravitate toward 52-54 ring gauges exclusively, and thought bigger = better, stronger, cooler burn, etc.

Now I love the corona gorda size. SO much tastier.

~Boar