• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Now let's talk balls, golf balls that is

ilikefishes

What ball do you all play?  I play the Taylor Made Lethal. Best and most durable players ball I have found. YYMV

ProV's . I still think the Titleist Professional is the best ball I've ever played though...

Kona, have you ever attended a fitting?  You might benefit to know what your swing speed and your spin is. 

Now, with my last statement, can you tell I played a lot in the mid 90's to early 2000's? I used to carry a 6 hcp. Now I just take the boy to play when he feels like it.

Taylor Made Black LDP's.  I'm down to about 50 or so of them.  I guess I'll have to try something new once they run out.  The "Lethal" might be the ticket.

ilikefishes said:
Kona, have you ever attended a fitting?  You might benefit to know what your swing speed and your spin is. 
Exactly I need to do that. 

I usually try a few out each year...then go back to the ProV1x.

There's a chart in one of the latest golf mags about driver spin rate / wedge rate....and where the ball sits in that chart.

I want a low driver spin but high rate on wedges.

I just tried the Callaway Chrome (tried the Hex Black last year...like the Chrome better!).

Actually - I really liked the Chrome...it stuck on the greens.

We'll see as my swing picks up....but I like it.

kona1000 said:
Exactly I need to do that.
So a fitting will also tell you your balls to hit? I got fitted for clubs about 3 years ago, best thing I have ever done. But struggle to really stick to a brand or vitola so to speak of golf balls. I usually grab what ever is in my bag or what freebies I got from the outing I am in. But as I am beginning to take things more serious this yeAr, I am trying to stick to a ball and see what works....but it is so expensive to try a brand here and there

That is why your fitting information is so important.  If you can get your spin rates and velocity you will figure out which one will give you the best performance in your game.  Go to your local and get some information.  They will be happy to help you, they are there to sell balls.  Get the information and do some additional research.  If you find that what they told you was accurate then go back and purchase from them.  If not, get a second opinion.

Good luck.

I usually hit a Bridgestone e6 or a Titleist NXT.  I like the way they feel when chipping and putting.  At $2 each, I like hitting a ball I don't have to look for when it rolls near the poison ivy.

The ProV1 is a good ball, but it kicks back on me.  I don't think I generate enough club speed for it. 

Been playing the Penta, now the Penta TP5. One good wedge and there's spaghetti hanging off the ball though. May try the Lethal next time I need a new box of pills.

I mostly play ProV1, but have been using the Taylormade Lethal recently also, and that has been a nice fit.  I also will use Srixon Z Star.

As for fittings, I did one about 5 years ago at Hot Stix in Phoenix (http://www.hotstixgolf.com).  VERY comprehensive fitting!  Back then it cost me $750, but now I see it's $595.  Through the use of technology, they monitor a multitude of different parameters about your swing then match that up with club heads, shafts, grips etc.  They have specifications on every item a manufacturer produces.  I'm presenting a very simplified process, but in the end they present recommendations on which clubs/shafts are the best fit for you.  

The only problem is they do not get you any clubs at cost.  You have to purchase the clubs at retail price, as well as purchase shafts, grips etc at retail price, then they put it all together.  VERY expensive.  A complete set of clubs would've cost me around $3,000....absolutely crazy!  The most important part for me was the irons so I ended up getting 5-PW for around $900.....still a lot for 6 clubs, but I've been very happy with them...Mizuno MP-57.

I know this was a post about golf balls, but fitting was mentioned so I guess I rambled a little  :)

Frank

I used to play Taylormade Penta, but I believe they were discontinued. So I'll go back to Nike 20XI.

So a buddy of mine called me at our local discount golf store while attempting to stock up on some balls and they told him Taylormade Penta's were discontinued. I didn't do a lot of research, but I've read several articles saying one way or the other. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The Penta's are discontinued but there may be some online retailers like TGW that have some at significant discounts if you want to stock up.